• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

New bike:ride

Attachments

• 2014-08-27 20.43.03.jpg
    2014-08-27 20.43.03.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 79
Anyone riding one of the new Rock Shox Pikes? Thinking about grabbing a 130mm version for my Trek Fuel EX 29er. It currently has a 120mm Fox 32, which I think I'll toss on my Trek Superfly... I've been wanting that bike to be a bit more playful and stiffer in the front end. It currently has a 2011 100mm Fox 32 with a quick release.

Anyway, it he Pike as awesome as everyone says it is? I'd love to beef up the front end of the Fuel, and it seems like it'll do the trick. Thoughts?

I demo'd one on a Nomad. So much better than my 2013 Fox 32 it's not even funny. Way stiffer, no midstroke dive, and no wallowing. That said, I went with an Xfusion. 95% of the improvement at half the cost.

Call Biker Bob if you go for the Pike.

Anyone riding one of the new Rock Shox Pikes? Thinking about grabbing a 130mm version for my Trek Fuel EX 29er. It currently has a 120mm Fox 32, which I think I'll toss on my Trek Superfly... I've been wanting that bike to be a bit more playful and stiffer in the front end. It currently has a 2011 100mm Fox 32 with a quick release.

Anyway, it he Pike as awesome as everyone says it is? I'd love to beef up the front end of the Fuel, and it seems like it'll do the trick. Thoughts?

Well, I haven't ridden one personally and I don't want to be a downer, but one of my riding buddies put one on his 29er, replacing a Fox 34. I just happened to ask him about a week or so ago and he mentioned that the damping is better, but it is not as stiff. And he's very particular about stiffness.

BTW, I believe his is 140 or 150mm travel, so that may make a difference. But he mentioned he thought the weakness was in the crown area, although I'm not sure how he could tell that. Anyway, just another viewpoint. If you get one, post a review.

Really nice and expensive.
You need a 15mm front wheel

I already have a 15 t/a on the Fuel. I'll have to get another set of I9's for the superfly, though, as the current wheels can't be converted. :teeth

I demo'd one on a Nomad. So much better than my 2013 Fox 32 it's not even funny. Way stiffer, no midstroke dive, and no wallowing. That said, I went with an Xfusion. 95% of the improvement at half the cost.

Call Biker Bob if you go for the Pike.

Awesome. I still get shit at cost through my old shop. Makes it easier to justify the Pike over the Xfusion.

Well, I haven't ridden one personally and I don't want to be a downer, but one of my riding buddies put one on his 29er, replacing a Fox 34. I just happened to ask him about a week or so ago and he mentioned that the damping is better, but it is not as stiff. And he's very particular about stiffness.

BTW, I believe his is 140 or 150mm travel, so that may make a difference. But he mentioned he thought the weakness was in the crown area, although I'm not sure how he could tell that. Anyway, just another viewpoint. If you get one, post a review.

I will! I'll be getting the 130, which is the shortest travel of the bunch. I'm guessing it'll be a ton stiffer than my current 120mm 32.

Now, the next question is if I should get a set of the I9 Torch Enduros and put those on my Fuel, or just get another set of the Torch Trails and run them on both bikes. Decisions

Last edited:

:rofl yea ok.. While I can't vouch for a 29" version I have ridden the pike on a few different 26's and 650bs on some pretty gnarly shit and I have yet to experience anything even remotely resembling flex on any of them. I normally ride a vengeance which is a 20mm axled, 36mm fork. IMO the pike has pretty much set the benchmark for forks at the moment. The damping, stiffness, weight, and cost are all spot on in my book. :afm199

On another note while i'm here, pretty sure i'm going to let go of my large 456evo2 if anyone is looking for a sweet steel hardtail. Need to fund other projects or something :|

aUfWwqs.jpg

I'm impressed, especially after considering moving to Fox, but then I got an expert opinion. That sold me, but at $700 it was not what I consider a good deal.

I'm impressed, especially after considering moving to Fox, but then I got an expert opinion. That sold me, but at $700 it was not what I consider a good deal.

Because mountain biking is loaded with good deals :laughing

Because mountain biking is loaded with good deals :laughing

For real. I'm amazed at how much I spend even getting shit at cost. Makes me wonder who actually buys this stuff at full retail. If I didn't get cost, I'd probably ride full SLX.

For real. I'm amazed at how much I spend even getting shit at cost. Makes me wonder who actually buys this stuff at full retail. If I didn't get cost, I'd probably ride full SLX.

So Cal and Marin county groms with Daddy's Amex. If I didn't get a deal I wouldn't ride MTB..

Just pulled the trigger on the pike and a set of I9 enduros. Even at cost that shit is crazy expensive. Luckily my wife supports any purchase that contributes to my health!

I have a pike 160 rc3.blah blah. or whatever:) on my Norco.
It's a great fork. I think you will like it.
I swore off .r.s stuff a couple years ago after seal issues with a boxxer but after a few test rides I had to have it.
Fox 32 should be reserved for children and small women.
Friggin noodles.. might as well run rigid. .:p
Everyone I have talked to with a fox 34 hates the damping..

I swore off .r.s stuff a couple years ago after seal issues with a boxxer but after a few test rides I had to have it.

Ha, yea, I'm about 245lbs without gear. I think I've just gotten used to the crazy amount of flex on the fox 32 as I've ridden only them over the past few years. I'm pumped to have something beefier on the front end.

RS Vs Fox

I haven't ridden in forever but I've had a few fox 34's come through my garage and they are just F@#$EN junk. There is just waaaayyy to much valving and tight areas that oil has to squeeze through (way over valved as is also the case with everything but the newest CTD's) and it just can't do it quickly enough to be smooth.

That said, please tell me why you guys that switched to RS aren't running Float/Talas 36. Those things are steady as a rock (said the 145pound rider):) and smooth as butter, ....in my experience.

Last edited:
I haven't ridden in forever but I've had a few fox 34's come through my garage and they are just F@#$EN junk. There is just waaaayyy to much valving and tight areas that oil has to squeeze through (way over valved as is also the case with everything but the newest CTD's) and it just can't do it quickly enough to be smooth.

That said, please tell me why you guys that switched to RS aren't running Float/Talas 36. Those things are steady as a rock (said the 145pound rider):) and smooth as butter, ....in my experience.

I bought the Pike because I can easily order their stuff through one of our current distributors, while Fox is dealer direct. RS also does the 51mm ofset that my bike is designed around. Also, I haven't heard anything but praise about the Pike.

What is your bike? Was it designed to be sold with that exact fork or are there others with that same offset?
Do you know commpairatively how much offset a Fox 36 has?

So i have a Mojo HD frame waiting for me if can ever get past these disabilities. I was planning on putting aTalas 36 on it. I have no idea what the offset of the fork is and no clue what offset the bike was built for <<<aaahh duuhh scratchinghead>>>,...any thoughts??

What is your bike? Was it designed to be sold with that exact fork or are there others with that same offset?
Do you know commpairatively how much offset a Fox 36 has?

So i have a Mojo HD frame waiting for me if can ever get past these disabilities. I was planning on putting aTalas 36 on it. I have no idea what the offset of the fork is and no clue what offset the bike was built for <<<aaahh duuhh scratchinghead>>>,...any thoughts??

I ride a Trek Fuel EX 9 29er. It comes with a G2, 51mm offset 120mm Fox 32. It's fine, but I'm pumped for the 130mm Pike with the same offset. Also, I'm tossing the 120mm Fox on my Trek Superfly that I ride a lot. I'm looking to beef up the front end on that bike, and the extra inch of travel and the through axle will go a long way.

Most forks have an offset of 46mm, but Trek's 29ers run a 51. I'm guessing it would actually be quite hard to tell the difference.

Here's my Fuel
IMG_0416-XL.jpg

Superfly
IMG_0392-XL.jpg

Back