• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

20140706_123423_zps0e41390c.jpg

Ignore the trash can lol

Picked up an entry level 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 4

Went to Hayward Plunge. Realized I greatly suck at climbs right now. And got first biff out of the way. Mountain biking is awesome and I've only started the addiction. Sold my motorcycle to start funding this expensive crap...but enjoy it more than riding motorcycles personally.

Last edited:
I'm in the similar boat with antidote. Stop riding motorcycles for the time being and really enjoying the workout of my entry level hardtail. Let me know if anyone wants to ride during the weekends - strange thing is I seem to enjoy the climbs :) I'm in Alameda and new to the east bay.

Picked up an entry level 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 4

Went to Hayward Plunge. Realized I greatly suck at climbs right now. And got first biff out of the way. Mountain biking is awesome and I've only started the addiction. Sold my motorcycle to start funding this expensive crap...but enjoy it more than riding motorcycles personally.

Nice! Great place to start. Yea, climbs hurt, but they're super rewarding. I really enjoy the more technical climbs vs. the ones that are pure fitness. Both are nice, though.

And yep, it ain't cheap. The reality is though that you don't need to buy the latest and greatest $10000 dual suspension. They're great and all, but you can get a pretty amazing bike that's 90% as nice for around $3k. The farkles add up as well... decent shoes, hydration pack, helmet, glasses, kit, etc. Still, that stuff is overall a ton cheaper than moto gear, and it doesn't really wear out.

For now, enjoy the new bike and getting your lungs/legs in shape!

I'm in the similar boat with antidote. Stop riding motorcycles for the time being and really enjoying the workout of my entry level hardtail. Let me know if anyone wants to ride during the weekends - strange thing is I seem to enjoy the climbs :) I'm in Alameda and new to the east bay.

Lets hit up Lake Chabot this Saturday morning!

Just found this...

Recently (6 mo ago) got back into the mtn bike scene myself. Also looking for some more riding buddies

2012 Kona Satori 29er

So, went in to Concept Cycles here in Morgan Hill with my Superlight to get a tune up. They wanted $50 or $100, to basically inspect, adjust, and clean everything. However, I don't think anything really needs to be adjusted.

The kid behind the counter was new, but had no idea what he was doing. He'll figure it out. And the lady there with him was equally inexperienced. Felt like a 1-2 knockout and a very poor first time experience with a store. Seemed like family of the owners or something?

With that said, looks like I am bleeding my brakes, changing my chain (which I just bought there to support a local shop), and will clean everything up. Might call Trailhead, those guys are usually pretty legit.

Have a few questions and need some recommendations:

1. Best tires to get right now? I am running a Santa Cruz Superlight with 26" wheels.
2. Best chain tool?
3. Good brake bleed tool?
4. Suggestions on how to self serve the forks and shock?

Last edited:
Just an idea but run a services offered search on craigslist for bicycle mechanic. Youll likely find someone who is super competent but doesnt charge much.

Otherwise your moto tools should be fine. You Tube Spin Doctor for fairly high quality how tos from Performance Bike. Also a billion other vids on there.

Bikes appear complicated but usually not that bad once you dig in. Shock/fork stuff depends on the components you have...may not be able to.service just replace.

***not an expert

We used to have whats his name (Steve?) out of Lafayette, but that's too far now and not sure if he is offering anymore.

So, went in to Concept Cycles here in Morgan Hill with my Superlight to get a tune up. They wanted $50 or $100, to basically inspect, adjust, and clean everything. However, I don't think anything really needs to be adjusted.

The kid behind the counter was new, but had no idea what he was doing. He'll figure it out. And the lady there with him was equally inexperienced. Felt like a 1-2 knockout and a very poor first time experience with a store. Seemed like family of the owners or something?

With that said, looks like I am bleeding my brakes, changing my chain (which I just bought there to support a local shop), and will clean everything up. Might call Trailhead, those guys are usually pretty legit.

1. Best tires to get right now? I am running a Santa Cruz Superlight with 26" wheels.
2. Best chain tool?
Maybe they just didn't like having a Santa Cruz bike in a Specialized shop:p
There is another shop in MH. Sunshine.. its on monterey rd. (Never used them for service though)

2. Best chain tool?

Tires are on you. I love my Bontrager 29-4's, but a lot of it is preference.

Just throw down for a park chain tool.

What kind of brakes do you have? Most of them need some sort of bleed kit, but it's rarely more than some fluid (mineral or dot depending on the brakes), a syringe and hose. Shimano brakes are cake to bleed. Avids that have a taperbore master cylinder are a pain! Most other brands are quite easy.

How many hours of riding do you have on the suspension? What brand are they? It's pretty easy to just do fork seals and change the fluid. Here's a vid on how to change fox seals and oil(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t24xff7Je5Q&feature=related). All the volumes and torque specs are on the fox website. The only pain is that you have to buy like .5L of oil when you need like 30ml. Rear shocks are normally pretty easy, too... unbolt, depressurize, unscrew the can and lube the seals and whatnot.

They are Magura. I have a mityvac?

I dunno, bought it used. Fox Talas front and Fox Rear (Float?). Not sure on the hours, seems OK and locks out OK.

They are Magura. I have a mityvac?

I dunno, bought it used. Fox Talas front and Fox Rear (Float?). Not sure on the hours, seems OK and locks out OK.

Haven't bleed Magura brakes since I used to ride their hydraulic rim brakes. Pretty sure you bleed caliper up on their discs. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to do the pair. Just buy a bleed kit for them. You don't need a vacuum pump on bike discs... just a syringe to pump fluid through.

For the suspension, it probably doesn't need a full rebuild, but it never hurts to do fork seals and new oil in the air chamber and open bath. The damper is probably fine and I wouldn't touch it. It'll improve the small-bump sensitivity by cutting out a lot of the stiction. It's a cheap/simple fix. It's also pretty easy to take apart the rear shock and just relube everything with a packet of fox float fluid (a 80wt suspension fluid).

Haven't bleed Magura brakes since I used to ride their hydraulic rim brakes. Pretty sure you bleed caliper up on their discs. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to do the pair. Just buy a bleed kit for them. You don't need a vacuum pump on bike discs... just a syringe to pump fluid through.

For the suspension, it probably doesn't need a full rebuild, but it never hurts to do fork seals and new oil in the air chamber and open bath. The damper is probably fine and I wouldn't touch it. It'll improve the small-bump sensitivity by cutting out a lot of the stiction. It's a cheap/simple fix. It's also pretty easy to take apart the rear shock and just relube everything with a packet of fox float fluid (a 80wt suspension fluid).

Have a shop check it, if anything gets lost it's on them (there's a few small parts in these things). They will also be able to tell if a damper is hosed, and if that's covered by warranty. I'm not doubting your skill :laughing but take it from someone who's rebuilt a dozen or so forks/shocks, after that you can get away with doing a yearly oil change yourself.

Have a shop check it, if anything gets lost it's on them (there's a few small parts in these things). They will also be able to tell if a damper is hosed, and if that's covered by warranty. I'm not doubting your skill :laughing but take it from someone who's rebuilt a dozen or so forks/shocks, after that you can get away with doing a yearly oil change yourself.

Oh, yea, I've rebuilt plenty of stuff.... worked in shops for well over a decade. My comment was directed at Ducky who is thinking about doing this stuff on his own.

Given the age of his bike I highly doubt the damper will be covered by warranty if there is something wrong with it (doesn't sound like there is).

What was that guy's name who used to do bike stuff for us? Greg?

Back