• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

New commuter! My wife bought be a Straggler for christmas. Built it up with extra parts I had.

IMG_0339-XL.jpg

Narrow/wide in 110bcd
IMG_0341-2-XL.jpg

I ran a front derailleur cable to the stop to prevent the shiftier from moving.
IMG_0342-2-XL.jpg

Aww yea....

Attachments

• IMG_0460.jpg
    IMG_0460.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 70
So I have become a mountain biker. Short version: I joined the newly opened LBS's cycling team, which is apparently is cross country. I signed up on a whim for the Temecula 12 hour solo. Finished 7 laps when the chain broke.

I was riding a borrowed entry level 40 pound bike that has been sitting for who knows how long and I haven't sat on one in a year.

Going to be a fun season :D

So I have become a mountain biker. Short version: I joined the newly opened LBS's cycling team, which is apparently is cross country. I signed up on a whim for the Temecula 12 hour solo. Finished 7 laps when the chain broke.

I was riding a borrowed entry level 40 pound bike that has been sitting for who knows how long and I haven't sat on one in a year.

Going to be a fun season :D

Nice! Regular XC riding is a great place to start. Mountain riding is all around more fun than road riding anyway :teeth

I do!

Ahem. Where is the best spot with fun downhill or level jumps in East Bay?

Shred fest this last weekend. 2 laps at Tamarancho on Friday, 5 hours at Demo in Santa Cruz on Saturday, then all the good stuff at Annadel on Sunday. Over 11,000' feet of vertical over the course of the weekend. Countless breakfast burritos, hamburgers, beers, and manhattans were consumed.

Profiles
ride-XL.jpg

The new flow trail at demo is out of control awesome
IMG_0717-XL.jpg

The upper part has berms that are 4-6' tall. That berm in the background is about 4' tall. Amazing, to say the least.
IMG_0712-XL.jpg

Flow
IMG_0715-XL.jpg

Last edited:
^^ wow. That place looks awesome.

I also went to Demo on Sunday to sample the new flow trail. Those pics are great, but don't do it justice. The dirt was ideally moist and perfectly smooth with no rocks, bumps or other imperfections. The trail is just about the perfect grade to keep you going at the ideal speed with minimal effort. IMO, much better than the Tamarancho flow trail, and it's not even fully done yet. Unfortunately, I forgot to take my helmet cam, but I'll be back many times for sure. Get some!! :ride

Is that place packed on the weekend?

I also went to Demo on Sunday to sample the new flow trail. Those pics are great, but don't do it justice. The dirt was ideally moist and perfectly smooth with no rocks, bumps or other imperfections. The trail is just about the perfect grade to keep you going at the ideal speed with minimal effort. IMO, much better than the Tamarancho flow trail, and it's not even fully done yet. Unfortunately, I forgot to take my helmet cam, but I'll be back many times for sure. Get some!! :ride

Awesome. Yea, it's impossible to capture how amazing the trails are with only a picture. I could have done a bit more if I brought my DSLR and wide angle, but I didn't want to lug that around all day. And that dirt was perfect... traction for days.

Oh, and so much better than the Tam flow trail. Then again, that trail was built a long time ago before big travel/big wheel bikes. The berms are a bit too tight to really rip on a big 29er.

Yea, there are a ton of cars, but I never once got stuck behind someone (or had someone come up on me for that matter). The giant climbs means that people get pretty spaced out. I get stuck behind way more people out at Tamarancho or Annadel.

Last edited:

Yes and no. This past Sunday, you could barely find a parking spot and even the upper parking lot was packed. Even still, out on the trail, we never had to pass or let pass another rider or group of riders (well, other than on the fireroad climbs and that was mostly me getting passed). There were plenty of people at the usual stopping points, but there's enough trail out there that everyone gets pretty spread out. I think once every five trips or so I may actually have to pass or let someone by on a single-track section. That just adds to the awesomeness of the place.

All that being said, it's not a place for beginners. The short loop is 10miles with almost 2000' of climbing. I've never done it, but I've heard of people riding every trail there in a day putting in 35+ miles and 4000'+ of climbing. And while the new flow trail is nice and smooth and relatively tame, the other trails are much, much more difficult and it's very remote. I've seen lots of riders trail-side with significant injuries. And unless you're lucky, it's hours before you'll get any professional medical attention.

Yes and no. This past Sunday, you could barely find a parking spot and even the upper parking lot was packed. Even still, out on the trail, we never had to pass or let pass another rider or group of riders (well, other than on the fireroad climbs and that was mostly me getting passed). There were plenty of people at the usual stopping points, but there's enough trail out there that everyone gets pretty spread out. I think once every five trips or so I may actually have to pass or let someone by on a single-track section. That just adds to the awesomeness of the place.

All that being said, it's not a place for beginners. The short loop is 10miles with almost 2000' of climbing. I've never done it, but I've heard of people riding every trail there in a day putting in 35+ miles and 4000'+ of climbing. And while the new flow trail is nice and smooth and relatively tame, the other trails are much, much more difficult and it's very remote. I've seen lots of riders trail-side with significant injuries. And unless you're lucky, it's hours before you'll get any professional medical attention.

Yea, we did a 5000+ foot day. It's no joke.

Yea, we did a 5000+ foot day. It's no joke.

I was there Saturday as well. Did segments 1,2,3 twice, then did segment 5 twice, then went up suffer springs for a braille run.. 4800' for us..
One of my riding buddies is on the crew that's been building the trail.
They started segment 4 this week:ride

Last edited:
Back