• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

I've joined the other two wheel club. Bought myself a starter mtn bike and have been riding to/from work, and weekends. Enjoying the great weather and awesome trails riding around Germany.

I just bought an entry level MTB to play around on. It's a 2005 Kona Cinder Cone. Pretty much stock. It came with slicks mounted and I'm looking to get a wheelset to put proper trail tires on. The idea is to be able to switch out the wheels if needed. I came across some 26" Roval Control E5 wheels with rotors. It has a set of decent shape Specialized Captain 26x2.0's mounted. Seller asking $200. Is this a good price? I guess he is asking for a little bit more than they are worth since it comes with tires.

With that: Are any of you guys selling a set of 26" wheels disc compatible?

Last edited:
I just bought an entry level MTB to play around on. It's a 2005 Kona Cinder Cone. Pretty much stock. It came with slicks mounted and I'm looking to get a wheelset to put proper trail tires on. The idea is to be able to switch out the wheels if needed. I came across some 26" Roval Control E5 wheels with rotors. It has a set of decent shape Specialized Captain 26x2.0's mounted. Seller asking $200. Is this a good price? I guess he is asking for a little bit more than they are worth since it comes with tires.

With that: Are any of you guys selling a set of 26" wheels disc compatible?

I have a set of older wheels, they are heavy (old DH wheels) but they are disc compatible. 20mm front and qr rear. PM me if interested. I'll sell um super cheap.

But 200 for the roval wheels isn't too bad, try and get them for 150 tho.

I have a question for the mountain bikers about forks. My 20 year old rock shocks are gone, won't hold air and bottom out on the tire making my bike unridable. I'm looking at some new forks but I remember when I bought the bike the guy saying something about the top tube not being a standard size/length. When you buy new forks does it come with a standard sized steering tube or is it cut to fit? Do most shops offer cutting? Can the old one be reused. Not looking for anything fancy. Just some new forks so I can get out on the trail again and hopefully be able to fit back into my race leathers.

I have a question for the mountain bikers about forks. My 20 year old rock shocks are gone, won't hold air and bottom out on the tire making my bike unridable. I'm looking at some new forks but I remember when I bought the bike the guy saying something about the top tube not being a standard size/length. When you buy new forks does it come with a standard sized steering tube or is it cut to fit? Do most shops offer cutting? Can the old one be reused. Not looking for anything fancy. Just some new forks so I can get out on the trail again and hopefully be able to fit back into my race leathers.

What frame do you have? You should be able to find something dirt cheap to replace the old fork.

What frame do you have? You should be able to find something dirt cheap to replace the old fork.

Its called a silver arrow. 26" aluminum frame. It was a Korean(?) company that came over here racing like 20 years ago. A friend raced for them, they folded, he sold me the bike. Solid frame, no shock. Top tube is like 6" whereas most bikes are 4". I think this is one. Notice the longer top tube-

Attachments

• 7DBhEvW.jpg
    7DBhEvW.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 52
The item you're speaking of is the head tube. They vary in size depending on the manufacturer but the one i'm seeing in the picture doesn't unusually long. If you were to buy a new fork the steerer tube would be un-cut and they generally are around 8-10" long. These are later cut by the end user after fitting it to the frame. You might have some issues finding a new non-disk brake fork these days but i'm sure there's something out there.

You need to do some measuring before buying a fork.

1. Measure the length of the steerer tube that's currently on your bike. Measure from the top of the fork crown to the top of the steerer cap. ( Example )

2. Measure the diameter of the steerer tube. You can remove just the top cap and the spacer on top of the stem and measure the diameter there. ( Example ) From the pic you posted it looks to be oversize diameter (1.5"), but a bike that age would be more likely to have a 1-1/8" steerer.

Once we have this info we can look for a fork.

Last edited:
I'd actually worry that it could be a 1 1/4 headset. More than a few bikes of that era had 1 1/4. Not a big deal to get some reducers, a new headset and stem, though.

Also, heading up to Bend tomorrow. Any suggestions on what trails to ride. Plan is to get in three solid days before heading back on Sunday.

Also, heading up to Bend tomorrow. Any suggestions on what trails to ride. Plan is to get in three solid days before heading back on Sunday.

You can download some of the GPX files http://www.mtbproject.com/directory/166648/bend

Map is clickable http://www.ormtb.com/Central_Oregon/CO_Trails/Overview.html

More trail info http://cotamtb.com/trails/

Contact these guys for route and/or shuttle options http://www.cogwild.com/

Their tour options http://www.cogwild.com/mountain-bike-tours/

Options:

Mckenzie River point-to-point, ~25-26mi
Mt Bachelor to Bend, ~35mi
High Cascades
Oakridge

Last edited:
Bend was rad - rode McKenzie on Saturday then another 23 miles back in Bend on Sunday. Killer weekend!

IMG_1145-XL.jpg

IMG_1152-XL.jpg

So I bought a walmart Fat Bike after riding my friends Pugsly around for the last few days...A new era of riding begins?

I figured its better to just ride the cheapie to see if its just puppy love instead of going ALL IN and buying what I really want (Specialized fatboy)?

Anyone else riding a fatty on the trails?

My LBS has a couple Salsa's a available to demo, I'm going to try one for fun, but I'm not currently interested in a fatty.

Back