• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Attachments

• Two.jpg
    Two.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Any of you ride Chabot? Just got back in to the mtb scene about 3 weeks ago, riding a 09 Giant Yukon FX. It's a good little entry xc bike that has helped me lose some weight and also tone up my legs and core :D

I have been trying to ride just about every day if possible other than Sunday, I get about 4 to 5 days of riding in a week. Learning how to do the tuning and setup has been interesting so far.

What do you guys think of the Giant Trance 29er? I'm looking for a full suspension 29er that wont break the bank. Appreciate any feedback.

What do you guys think of the Giant Trance 29er? I'm looking for a full suspension 29er that wont break the bank. Appreciate any feedback.

Which version? The "Trance X 29 1" build is probably as low as I would go as the "Trance X 29 2" build is total garbage.

Any of you ride Chabot? Just got back in to the mtb scene about 3 weeks ago, riding a 09 Giant Yukon FX. It's a good little entry xc bike that has helped me lose some weight and also tone up my legs and core :D

I have been trying to ride just about every day if possible other than Sunday, I get about 4 to 5 days of riding in a week. Learning how to do the tuning and setup has been interesting so far.

*warning: shameless plug inbound* :ride

Endless Cycles rides Lake Chabot every Tuesday evening at 6:30. We start at the shop (3300 East Castro Valley Blvd, next to Caspers.......for now :shhh ) and ride until about 8:30 followed by food and beverage(s)

We break up into as many groups/fitness levels as needed. It's getting dark toward the end so a headlight and tail light are recommended.

Which version? The "Trance X 29 1" build is probably as low as I would go as the "Trance X 29 2" build is total garbage.

I was looking at the x1 and x2. Any other bikes similarly priced that I should consider?

Got a great deal on this 2013 Giant Trance 29er X1 the other day. My first "real" full suspension bike and I couldn't stop smiling my first time out on it earlier this evening. Makes me wonder what these higher end rigs you all post up are capable of.

Got a great deal on this 2013 Giant Trance 29er X1 the other day. My first "real" full suspension bike and I couldn't stop smiling my first time out on it earlier this evening. Makes me wonder what these higher end rigs you all post up are capable of.

Sweet rig! :thumbup
I had an X1 for a few years, and still consider it one of my favorite trail bikes.

You should take it to Annadel :)

Last edited:

Nice! A friend of mine has the same bike... he crashes all the time on it. Most definitely the rider, not the bike, though!

Honestly, there are not huge differences between something like what you got and a bike that's another $3-4k. Sure, suspension will do a bit better job, wheels will be stiffer, and the shifting might be a bit better under load, but generally assuming they're intended for the same purpose there won't be massive differences. I don't doubt that some of my nicer parts do shave a bit of time in some places, but it likely translates into a few percent differences in terms of ride time/speed. Most all of us get better gains just by riding more!

Yea, go ride Annendel. Park at Lawndale, then ride up Lawndale -> Marsh -> North Burma ->North Burma -> Live Oak -> Rough Go -> Canyon -> Spring Creek -> Canyon -> North Burma -> Channel -> Warren Richardson -> Two Quarry -> Lawndale out.

This is far and away the best route if you want to hit all the good trails in the park!

Nice! A friend of mine has the same bike... he crashes all the time on it. Most definitely the rider, not the bike, though!

Honestly, there are not huge differences between something like what you got and a bike that's another $3-4k. Sure, suspension will do a bit better job, wheels will be stiffer, and the shifting might be a bit better under load, but generally assuming they're intended for the same purpose there won't be massive differences. I don't doubt that some of my nicer parts do shave a bit of time in some places, but it likely translates into a few percent differences in terms of ride time/speed. Most all of us get better gains just by riding more!

Yea, go ride Annendel. Park at Lawndale, then ride up Lawndale -> Marsh -> North Burma ->North Burma -> Live Oak -> Rough Go -> Canyon -> Spring Creek -> Canyon -> North Burma -> Channel -> Warren Richardson -> Two Quarry -> Lawndale out.

This is far and away the best route if you want to hit all the good trails in the park!
I think it is hard to tell the difference between high/low unless ridden relatively back to back. While my bike was in the shop I borrowed a friends for an Enduro and it was onvious, but I was pushing the limits under race conditions. And that was coming off my bike with high end components (X0 all around, high end suspension, etc) compared to a similar priced Cannondale.

Speaking of high end, the Guide RSC brakes are fantastic!

I think it is hard to tell the difference between high/low unless ridden relatively back to back. While my bike was in the shop I borrowed a friends for an Enduro and it was onvious, but I was pushing the limits under race conditions. And that was coming off my bike with high end components (X0 all around, high end suspension, etc) compared to a similar priced Cannondale.

Speaking of high end, the Guide RSC brakes are fantastic!

Yea, totally. I notice the nicer stuff when really hammering downhill... it's when the extra stiffness and precision really pays off. Still, I'm guessing it only makes me, and most people, a touch faster. It's more that I enjoy the extra ride quality that comes from nicer stuff, not that I really need it!

Sweet, I'll have to consider a set of Guides! I've heard nothing but good things at this point.

Oh, and I can't wait... I'm back in the US for a couple weeks. My friends and I are renting a cabin in the Pisgha/Brevard/Asheville NC area next weekend. Going to get in four days of some of the best mountain biking in the southeast followed by hitting all the great breweries after riding. Going to be rad!

I had X0 brakes (worked fantastic), but didn't know how good they were until I rode my friends bike with Magura brakes. They were shit. The modulation on the 4 piston Guides is unbelievable and saved me from my own stupidity on my first ride with them (came over a rise on an unknown downhill into a rock garden, on the edge of locking up got the bike slowed to a sane speed).

The different levels of Guide are essentially the same. You just get remote pad adjustment and lever adjustment on the high end. Mine were replaced under warranty :D

I have my forks boxed up, shipping to MRP to be repaired. I didn't notice they weren't working right when I first got the bike (since I was new to MTB), but now with experience I know. I can't wait to get them back for my double header weekend in Big Bear (Saturday enduro, Sunday XC).

I had previously written off Sram brakes. My Meta came with Guides which I was going to replace immediately with XTs but tbh after riding them a bit I lost interest in dealing with it as they're actually acceptable. I don't like the feel as much as the XTs but the power is definitely there. When it comes to DH gimme Zee or Saint any day.

Last edited:

Thanks for the info! I need to find a solution to transporting the bike asap. I have a 2005 Acura Tl and I needed to remove the wheels and the handle bar in order for it to fit in my trunk to get it home. I am leaning towards the Allen 2 bike rear rack due to cost and ease of removal. With the moto and new MTB, a small pickup would be ideal, sigh, it never ends.. Anyways, any feedback on those trunk mounted racks?

Thanks for the info! I need to find a solution to transporting the bike asap. I have a 2005 Acura Tl and I needed to remove the wheels and the handle bar in order for it to fit in my trunk to get it home. I am leaning towards the Allen 2 bike rear rack due to cost and ease of removal. With the moto and new MTB, a small pickup would be ideal, sigh, it never ends.. Anyways, any feedback on those trunk mounted racks?

assuming you dont have a hitch receiver on that car? hitch mount is definitely the way to go. Otherwise.. https://www.seasucker.com/'

Back