• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

When I bought my hardtail 29er I rode a few different bikes. I liked the Cannondale and Trek. I liked the Cannondale a lot more as it felt more nimble as it was lighter. Looking at Cannondale.com, it looks like they're hardtails are all 27.5 now...

650b (27.5) is pretty ubiquitous now. Its going to make finding 26" tires a pain in a few years.

My 2012 Jamis is 650b. No shortage of tire options.

26" isn't going away any time soon. My friend just gave his 29" Cannondale Trigger to his son and bought the 26" version. He prefers the smaller wheels, and he raced XC and trail rode that bike for the last year.

They don't look too bad. I usually stick with Trek, Cannondale, or the Scott looks pretty sweet. I went to a bike shop in Sac and test rode a few and went with a 29er-Cannondale.

Take a few out for a spin.

between these stores who would you give your business to?
Avenue Cyclery
Valencia Cyclery
City Cycle
Pacific Bicycle
Adventure Bicycle Company

The most important aspect of a bike is that it appeals to you. If it doesn't make you want to ride it, then it's a shitty bike.

I have 800 miles on my MTB since I bought it this year. That doesn't include the roughly 6000 miles on my commuter bike. I just want to ride it.

That said, I really wish I could squeeze in more miles on my TT. I love riding that bike too.

I really support trek. I worked for a trek shop for a decade, and was consistently impressed with their overall quality and customer service. I think they make very balanced bikes that are focused on giving you a solid, reliable ride rather than specing some high end parts in some areas and skimping in others. With that being said, I'm sure Giant and Specialized have something similar spec and price wise that will be equally nice.

Also, the flurry of bike talk activity in the sink has really made me miss my bikes and riding. It's cold here in Japan now and the days are short. Frequent rain and even snow now.

I'm moving back to the US in a few weeks and can't wait to hit up the trails. I just ordered a ton of new parts to freshen up my bikes. I really thrashed my Fuel before moving here, so it's getting the most new stuff... new tires, grips, pads, cables, XO1 cassette and chain. I'm also bumping up to an 8" rotor in the front. Got some wide Bontrager Rhythm pro carbon bars along with a 50mm Rhythm pro stem. Oh, and I sprung for one of the new FOX Factor EVOL ReAktiv shocks... same one that comes on the new Fuel EX 9.9. That's going to be rad.

So there is the
X-Caliber:Trek, price is 1280 http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/cross_country/x_caliber/x_caliber_9/

Talon: Giant, price is 850 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/talon.29er/22214/84069/#specifications

rockhopper: Specialized, price is 1150.00 http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/rockhopper/rockhopper-expert-29

I really like the trek bike but the giant seems like a decent bike for only 850

Are they worth more money or should I just go with a cheaper bike for my first one.

I got my trance x1 29er for $1k on craigslist. Looked barely ridden. Have you considered buying used? Your money goes further.

Bang for the buck it's hard to beat Giant. You can't go wrong with any of those makes really.

Edit: Just looked over your links. My buddy has a talon 29er. It's a sweet bike. I almost bought one off CL for a few hundred before I decided to go full suspension.

Last edited:
So there is the
X-Caliber:Trek, price is 1280 http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/cross_country/x_caliber/x_caliber_9/

Talon: Giant, price is 850 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/talon.29er/22214/84069/#specifications

rockhopper: Specialized, price is 1150.00 http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/rockhopper/rockhopper-expert-29

I really like the trek bike but the giant seems like a decent bike for only 850

Are they worth more money or should I just go with a cheaper bike for my first one.

I say ride them both. Parts wise, the Trek has a MUCH better fork. It also has proper Shimano hydro discs, while the Giant has Tektros. Tektros are not terrible, but the Shimanos will outperform them. Drivetrain-wise the Trek steps it up to a proper off-road capable kit... the giant stuff will struggle more when shifting underload, which happens a lot when mountain biking. The Trek also has tubeless ready wheels, which is a nice option to have as if you get into riding you'll end up going tubeless. The Trek also has a much better spec than the Specialized for only $100 more.

Overall, the Trek is a proper mountain bike. I could hop on it and do the same rides I do on my much more expensive hardtail. The Giant, on the other hand, is more of a recreational bike dressed up as a mountain bike. Sure, it looks like one, but it's not really made to handle regular off road riding.

Just FYI, you're in the price range where relatively small price increases get you way more bike for your money. I would get the Trek, hands down. After this price point it starts becoming harder to justify spending more for a new rider. But, I do think there is a significant difference that even a new rider like yourself will appreciate.

Last edited:
When my fork was being rebuilt, I showed up to a small local Enduro and XC race on "The bike of shame", which is a old, crap Raleigh I was given for free. Stripped down to single speed, 30 pounds, cantilever brakes, warped rear wheel running 1.95 Wal-Mart tires, and of course, full rigid. I "raced" the enduro Saturday and wasn't the slowest person. I raced the XC Sunday and was still faster on some climbs and decdbts then other people on multi thousand dollar bikes (I was the only SS, so if course I get first).

Do I have more fun on my Jamis? Yes I do. But people over exaggerate the importance of the bike.

My first MTB race was a 12 hour endurance (dropped out after about 9 with a broken chain) on a $450 40, pound 26" hard tail.

What I can say though is I would far sooner settle for a lower end frame and take a weight penalty and have high spec components (brakes especially) then a high end frame with low spec parts. That was something I learned after borrowing a friends Cannondale Trigger with low spec components compared to my "low spec" Jamis aluminum bike with X0 all around.

Just finished rebuilding my fuel. Put on a Fox EVOL Factor w/ ReAktiv valve, Bontrager Rhythm Pro bar/stem/post, Bontrager Paradigm RL saddle, new XO1 cassette and chain, 8" rotor up front, plus new cables, tires, pads, and grips. Riding like a new bike!

Attachments

• IMG_1790-2.jpg
    IMG_1790-2.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Anyone here have a santa cruz bronson or canfield balance? Or another bike that compares to these. More so the bronson. Thank you.

Last edited:
For what reason(s)? You looking for a test fit?

Feedback on what they think of it. I'm gonna buy a new/used that class of bike in the next couple of months. I'm leaning towards the bronson. The lifetime warranty is big. I'm undecided on carbon v. al and don't really have a preference. Also peoples experiences with them. The canfield uses a double barrel which is more or less an ohlins unit. It makes mroe sense to me than a lot of other options.

I guess the wheels are spinning I think this is what I'm looking for. Really just a solid do it all bike. I think anthing beyond that travel wise would be overkill for me.

Anyone here have a santa cruz bronson or canfield balance? Or another bike that compares to these. More so the bronson. Thank you.

Being semi-local, you can go down to the factory and test ride the Bronson anytime you want. They used to be free, but I think there's a small charge now. Not sure where you'll find a Canfield. You may want to try a more MTB specific forum like MTBR or PinkBike.

Being semi-local, you can go down to the factory and test ride the Bronson anytime you want. They used to be free, but I think there's a small charge now. Not sure where you'll find a Canfield. You may want to try a more MTB specific forum like MTBR or PinkBike.

True, but keep in mind that you must reserve online. I've gone in twice without a reservation and they've never been interested in helping. Once was when a buddy flew in from out of town and rented a Santa Cruz from another shop - turns out the derailleur hanger was jacked and we were hoping the factory would help us fix it.... no dice. Second was when I cracked a rocker link early into a ride and was hoping they'd let me rent a bike so we didn't just drive 2.5 hours for nothing. They had zero interest in renting me a bike, despite them just standing around hanging out.

I get they're nice bikes and all, but I've found their customer service to be seriously underwhelming. Most of my shop friends have similar complaints.

Sorry, ranting a bit. Point being, be sure to reserve a bike online before heading all the way down there!

Back