• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Moved here to Tucson, AZ recently. Totally different style of riding. Everything is super rocky and loose. The climbs are brutal as there is no traction and they're super punchy. 3000' here feels like 6000' back in CA. Also, everything will stab you! I pulled a 1" spine out of my hand the other day. The ride before that I high-fived a prickly pear when someone in front didn't make a climb and I started tipping. Tear through tires on a regular basis... got some Bontrager SEs on order to help avoid this. Crazy stuff but pretty fun.

IMG_2793-XL.jpg

IMG_2838-XL.jpg

IMG_2845-XL.jpg

IMG_2852-XL.jpg

IMG_2858%20-%20IMG_2863-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Looks similar to some of my trails. I've actually got the second fastest time on a certain climb on Strava on my 30 pound bike and not the 22 pound because of the extra traction from the rear suspension.

Moved here to Tucson, AZ recently. Totally different style of riding. Everything is super rocky and loose. The climbs are brutal as there is no traction and they're super punchy. 3000' here feels like 6000' back in CA. Also, everything will stab you! I pulled a 1" spine out of my hand the other day.

I did a recent mt bike trip to Sedona AZ, those MF'ing cactus will stabby stab you for sure. But that scenery yo. You live in a cool place for mt biking. Just slide forward til the nose of the seat is up your bunghole, chest down and pedal up those slippery loose stuff.

I just switched to a HT. I couldn't afford the FS I wanted, and now I'm in Cat 1. Yikes!

Moved here to Tucson, AZ recently. Totally different style of riding. Everything is super rocky and loose.

What. Dude, that looks just like WaterDog in Belmont. :laughing

No, seriously, nice change of scenery. Makes me want to go out and do Moab again.

9766825671_3974177e0a_c.jpg

So good.

What. Dude, that looks just like WaterDog in Belmont. :laughing

No, seriously, nice change of scenery. Makes me want to go out and do Moab again.

So good.

Ha, yea, a bit different! I agree, it's a nice change.

On another note, 12 speeds! http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/03/24...you-soar-far-and-wide-complete-tech-overview/

I do like the idea of being able to run a bit larger front right. Still, my current xx1 kit has been fine range wise. If anything I'm more excited about the new tooth profile, chain, and derailleur.

It is so rare I spin out, I just don't see it needed. I rarely ride any trails that give me the opportunity to spin faster then 25 MPH, after that I'm tucked and coasting, and still rare.

34x11-42 10 speed on my FS 650b, 32 XX1 on my HT 29er.

It is so rare I spin out, I just don't see it needed. I rarely ride any trails that give me the opportunity to spin faster then 25 MPH, after that I'm tucked and coasting, and still rare.

34x11-42 10 speed on my FS 650b, 32 XX1 on my HT 29er.

Ha, I would have dug a 50 on this ride I did on Saturday.... 5000' singletrack decent w/ 2000' of climbing then a 3000' road climb back to my car. All at elevation.

Near the top of Mt. Lemmon
IMG_2899%20-%20IMG_2912-XL.jpg

Rad stuff on the way down
IMG_2896-XL.jpg

IMG_2920-XL.jpg

Advertising for Trek. Seriously though, I love this bike. I've absolutely beat the crap out of it and it's still going strong.... Ha, I was doing enduro on 120mm trail bikes before it was cool!
IMG_2894-XL.jpg

Road climb back up
IMG_2931-XL.jpg

Nice pics everyone. I recently purchased a specialized 29er hardtail and have been looking at cool easy spots to ride. It's nothing special as far as the bike goes but it roles my fat ass around so she's alright in my book.

Nice pics everyone. I recently purchased a specialized 29er hardtail and have been looking at cool easy spots to ride. It's nothing special as far as the bike goes but it roles my fat ass around so she's alright in my book.

If your in Sac one of my favorite places to take beginners was Hidden Falls up in Auburn. You can take as much or little singletrack as you like, which is nice if you don't know your limits.

If your in Sac one of my favorite places to take beginners was Hidden Falls up in Auburn. You can take as much or little singletrack as you like, which is nice if you don't know your limits.

Hidden Falls is great, not too technical. I've seen road/cross bikes there.

Perfect for a hard tail.

Can be a bit busy with hikers on the trails closer to the parking lot. I just slow down and be nice. It is multi-use, watch out for horse crap.

Hidden Falls is great, not too technical. I've seen road/cross bikes there.

Perfect for a hard tail.

Can be a bit busy with hikers on the trails closer to the parking lot. I just slow down and be nice. It is multi-use, watch out for horse crap.

Yea, exactly. It's where I would take my wife. My buddy would ride his CX bike there with his wife. The trials strike a nice balance of pushing a new rider in some spots while giving them plenty of other spots to recover.

Agreed on the hikers, and a decent number of them can be a bit unfriendly. Not a huge deal, just give them space and kill them with kindness.

Ha ha, I assumed you meant a 50 front. I was like, "Damn!"

Haha, oh god a 50 front... I run a 28t up front!

Also, I now have a Fuel EX 9.9 Carbon frameset on the way! I really like 120mm bikes, and they really addressed all the things I don't like about my current Fuel EX 9 - way shorter stays, longer front end, slacker HT, way stiffer full carbon. So pumped. Just going to pull the kit off my current Fuel and toss it over. Just got to build some wheels given the rear is boost. Might try some lightbike carbon rims w/ I9 hubs.

Fuel_EX_29_Carbon_Frameset-630x418.jpg

If anyone wants to throw a leg over some Pivots they're having a demo day at Joaquin Miller on Saturday from 10-4

Here's what's in the truck:

2015 LES FAT XTR 1X MEDIUM

2015 MACH 429C SL XTR 1X SMALL

2015 MACH 429C SL XTR 1X MEDIUM

2015 MACH 4C 27.5 XTR 1X MEDIUM

2015 MACH 4C 27.5 XTR 1X XL

2015 MACH 4C 27.5 XTR 1X XS

2015 PHOENIX C 27.5 SAINT MEDIUM

2016 LES 27.5 XT PRO XS

2016 LES 27.5 XT PRO SMALL

2016 LES FAT XT PRO LARGE

2016 LES XT PRO LARGE