• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

I'm not allowed to go to bike shops, nearly bought a 27+ hardtail last weekend... :laughing

Currently out in Sedona for a few days. The riding and landscapes are amazing!

26456008380_e02dc6336b_b.jpg

26456009690_c8c96fc647_b.jpg

26124930163_b7a5f2209d_b.jpg

26728631905_e5fe6b075d_b.jpg

Don't know if this goes in the MTB thread, or Triathlon thread, so I'll cross post :D

Raced the Wildflower MTB Sprint Triathlon for my 5th year in a row last Saturday (also did the road bike sprint) the next day. Finished 1st in my age group, 2nd overall.

https://www.strava.com/activities/561473419

So, I've been loving the new bike... then yesterday realized it's already cracked! Dropped it off at the trek shop today. I'm heading out of town tomorrow for a bit so hopefully they get the new seat stay before I get back.

Here are a few from my Sedona trip

26763663075_b3e0e1e67a_b.jpg

Steep rock faces... hard to tell from this picture

26763661595_dd9040819a_b.jpg

IMG_3013 by nicholas dirienzo, on Flickr

IMG_2997-2 by nicholas dirienzo, on Flickr

Booooooo

IMG_3096-3 by nicholas dirienzo, on Flickr

That's what you get for buying Trek. :laughing:thumbup

I talked to a dude at Demo once who was on his 2ND replacement frame:wow

Yea, I've had their stuff break, but all stuff can break under me (aggressive 240lb rider). I cracked one of their carbon hardtails over four years of riding and then snapped a rocker on my last Fuel EX after a year of hard riding. For the most part I'm pretty happy with that given how much I ride.

I'm hoping that this crack was just a freak thing... I have only 103.7 miles on the bike according to my strava!

Yeah, I cracked the TT of my fancy hydro Di2 Trek Boone in a really lame little spill. Bar strike. Wouldn't warranty it. Shop repaired it for a few hundred bucks though.

Yeah, I cracked the TT of my fancy hydro Di2 Trek Boone in a really lame little spill. Bar strike. Wouldn't warranty it. Shop repaired it for a few hundred bucks though.

Well, a bar strike wouldn't be a warranty. My buddy cracked a downtube of an Evil in a crash... not a warranty, of course. I'd say a decade ago most of the major brands would warranty frames even if it was rider error (e.g. your Boone), but those days are long gone. They've all been more strict as far as what they'll warranty and now only cover true manufacture's defects are now covered.

I will say I was pretty pissed that Trek didn't cover the rocker link on my last Fuel EX. It's a kinda long story, but in short they first they claimed that I was riding it without a bolt in the rocker as that's the only way it could crack, and then later tried saying the hardware wasn't stock. For several reasons I just sucked it up and paid for the new rocker rather than making a fuss.

IMG_0793-XL.jpg

I will say I was pretty pissed that Trek didn't cover the rocker link on my last Fuel EX. It's a kinda long story, but in short they first they claimed that I was riding it without a bolt in the rocker as that's the only way it could crack, and then later tried saying the hardware wasn't stock. For several reasons I just sucked it up and paid for the new rocker rather than making a fuss.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/2-Wheeled-adventures/i-DBLLLqG/0/XL/IMG_0793-XL.jpg

LMK next time, I work with their R&D team and can very likely get it swapped non-issue. That said I wouldn't expect a trek product to last multiple seasons like some others. They skim the line when it comes to strength/weight too often for me. They don't hold a candle to companies like SC or Ibis when it comes to their carbon construction.

i just got the dreaded cracked swing arm on my Jamis. Was a weak spot on the first model year, but I assumed I got one of the good ones as everybody else was breaking theirs right away. Most claim that it wasn't during aggressive riding.

Well, I ride the SHIT out of mine. Very aggressive, faster then a lot of people I see on 150+ travel enduro bikes with more air. 1700 miles later, a crack on the swing arm.

5 year warranty, and supposedly they are pretty good about it. I'm half way hoping I get a new frame since it is a 2012 model and I doubt they still have parts. But I love this bike so much, I hope what ever I get feels just as good!

Conveniently enough, I loaned my FSi to my bike shop to use as parts. A local high school kid broke his Lefty fork (recall part) and they wouldn't get the part in time, so he is using my entire front end. But since my LBS is beyond awesome, they were "Here, take the demo Habit."

I have almost as many miles on demo bikes from them as I do on my own :D

That said I wouldn't expect a trek product to last multiple seasons like some others. They skim the line when it comes to strength/weight too often for me.

For sure. I knew this and wasn't expecting a warranty. Repair was only a few hundred and worked great.

24406973005_4863b5b456_z.jpg

That was a fun bike.

21581807400_f16f037751_z.jpg

At first I was like "Holy shit those tires are narrow!"

Then I scrolled down...

I need a good CX bike SO bad. Damn N+1.

LMK next time, I work with their R&D team and can very likely get it swapped non-issue. That said I wouldn't expect a trek product to last multiple seasons like some others. They skim the line when it comes to strength/weight too often for me. They don't hold a candle to companies like SC or Ibis when it comes to their carbon construction.

Good to know! Ha, how do I get on their R&D team?

Anyway, get a good deal on Treks, so I don't mind too much... I also really enjoy the way they pedal. I rode a new Hightower and really loved it, but it still had more feedback than ideal.

i just got the dreaded cracked swing arm on my Jamis. Was a weak spot on the first model year, but I assumed I got one of the good ones as everybody else was breaking theirs right away. Most claim that it wasn't during aggressive riding.
:D

Cracked frames all around!

For sure. I knew this and wasn't expecting a warranty. Repair was only a few hundred and worked great.

24406973005_4863b5b456_z.jpg

That was a fun bike.

21581807400_f16f037751_z.jpg

That looks like a fun bike!

Good to know! Ha, how do I get on their R&D team?

Anyway, get a good deal on Treks, so I don't mind too much... I also really enjoy the way they pedal. I rode a new Hightower and really loved it, but it still had more feedback than ideal.

I've always felt pretty meh on vpp, the v10 being my one exception as it works real nice for DH.

I've always felt pretty meh on vpp, the v10 being my one exception as it works real nice for DH.

Yea, I was way into the geometry and overall stiffness, but not a fan of vpp. The Trek sorta nailed all three, cracking aside!

You sure those rocker chips aren't from the back tire throwing rocks?

Yea.... the main chips are on the front side of the bridge, not the back (tire) side. Also, a closer look shows some pretty clear cracks.

IMG_3096-4 by nicholas dirienzo, on Flickr

Back