• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Balls, did you bottom it out at all?

Not to any crazy extent. It's also in a weird spot to be from bottoming out... seem more like lateral flex that would cause a crack there. Still waiting to hear from Trek.

I just picked up a KTM Canic CXC. It's a 57 and weighs just under 18lbs without pedals. A quick spin around the block makes me think I'm going to end up on my face on some fire road, this thing makes generating speed easy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 52
Nice! I really want a good CX. I took one out on a demo a few months back on the local MTB trails. Definitely good for setting KOM's on fire roads :D

I just picked up a KTM Canic CXC. It's a 57 and weighs just under 18lbs without pedals. A quick spin around the block makes me think I'm going to end up on my face on some fire road, this thing makes generating speed easy!

Nice! What do you think of the SRAM hydros?

In other news, Trek is warrantying the rear end of my new bike - should be up and running next week.

I also grabbed a closeout on a 2013 Trek Stache frame... pretty awesome geometry with a 68.5 degree HTA and reasonably long top tube. I grabbed a new 120mm yari and reverb for it, then have a 10 speed XO kit to toss on. Should be a really solid trail hardtail for whenever I break my Fuel :teeth

I like the sram's a lot. More than enough power for this bike and they have a really good feel. The double tap shifting I'm not so sold on yet.

You just have to get used to the double tap. Once you do, I like it slightly more (slightly) then Shimano. the throw is shorter.

The bike I borrowed for the road bike tri had Sram Force (Ultegra level). Felt great. I really want Rival 1 on my CX commuter.

It's the middle click on the upshoft that I am not a fan of. Been off bicycles for a long time and sram wasn't a player in the road/cx game when I was around so I got use to Shimano. I do like how much more positive the shifts feel.

I also had a great ride after work today. I always said I'd never ride a 29er and now I can't imagine anything else. If anyone is up for some evening rides let me know. I try to get out around 6. Mostly north bay but not opposed to east bay or peninsula.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
My trail bike is 650b, not 100% sure I would prefer 29.

My XC bike is 29, no way I would want anything smaller.

The 29er is actually quite good as a trail bike. It only struggles in the really tight trails. The beauty of the 29 inch wheels is how much easier it is to climb on. It just goes up effortlessly on any trail

Last edited:
I did a demo on a Scalpel and really liked it. But it is also an XC bike which is what I'm into. I think I would be fine on a 29" trail bike, probably happier. But I don't plan to replace my trail bike any time soon, too much money :D

Hoping Jamis comes through soon though. I was without my bike half of last summer due to a suspension and brake problems (Rockshox, White Bros, and Sram). I'll be very disappointed if that happens again. At least now I have a second bike so I don't have to keep borrowing bikes from my LBS (though, I do enjoy that too :D).

I did a demo on a Scalpel and really liked it. But it is also an XC bike which is what I'm into. I think I would be fine on a 29" trail bike, probably happier. But I don't plan to replace my trail bike any time soon, too much money :D

Hoping Jamis comes through soon though. I was without my bike half of last summer due to a suspension and brake problems (Rockshox, White Bros, and Sram). I'll be very disappointed if that happens again. At least now I have a second bike so I don't have to keep borrowing bikes from my LBS (though, I do enjoy that too :D).

Bummer - It's always nice to have a backup for when one bike goes down. I've been off fat tires for two weeks now. My other hardtail is arriving Monday so at least I'll have something to ride if my Fuel breaks again.

What's your other MTB?

I have a Jamis 650b Pro as a trail bike. 130mm travel full squish. It's treated me great outside of this crack. I'm hoping the replacement frame set is at least as good!

My XC bike is a Cannondale F-Si carbon.

Concept is legit. DLMS is too expensive still unfortunately. Carbon fiber 3d printing right around the corner from main street though. :thumbup

160mm is too much for me. So I have an excuse to not be upset about the price :)

Nice hard tail. I've been riding mine more than anything else at the moment. Actually not at the moment, I packed and shipped all my shit as i'm moving to WA in a week. Can't wait to explore some new trails. :D

Back