• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Prefer full suspension. I would take a hardtail but it could not be a light XC race bike. I'm a big guy and would break it lol

You're gonna have a challenge finding a decent fully at that price range, thus especially with the riding season right around the corner. I would go for a hardtail, or save up some extra duckets for a full suspension. I see a lot of full susp used stuff in the $1600 range but not much going on any lower than that.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/6066138614.html

I saw that Rocky Mountain. How good would it climb?

Was looking at a giant anthem 29er for 1,000

I saw that Rocky Mountain. How good would it climb?

Was looking at a giant anthem 29er for 1,000

That's more of an all mountain bike, than XC bike. Definitely sacrifices climbing for descending ability.

Think a medium is ok for 5'10 person ?

That's a matter of personal preference, and the sizing of the particular bike. Fit is all over the place across the different brands and bikes. Go try some stuff at the shop and note which ones you like. 5'10" puts you smack in-between medium, and large. Some people like em small, some people like em big. Personally i'd rather get stuck on a bike that's slightly too big, than too small. It's easy to make up that fitment with a shorter stem, or moving the seat. For me the most important measurements are the reach, and the seat tube length. For the most part if your inseam is <32" you should be on a medium but again YMMV.

Last edited:
agree on going larger over smaller. I use to go medium over large - now i go large only and i spend less time flying over the handlebars thanks to that extra top tube length :)

My medium trail bike is about perfect for me at 5'8", but if it had a short stem it might be cramped. My large Cannondale XC is a bit too big and hard to get my weight behind the seat (no dropper).

So...maybe?

agree on going larger over smaller. I use to go medium over large - now i go large only and i spend less time flying over the handlebars thanks to that extra top tube length :)

:laughing I'm a lanky 6'1, my large hardtail is super short feeeling @ 396mm reported reach with a 50mm stem. I can ride it but I definitely feel like i'm sitting "on top" of that bike rather in "in" it. My trail bike has much more modern geo with a 450mm reach. A short frame might work for XC purposes but you'll definitely feel more safe, and probably be faster on something longer. I'm really curious to try out some of the new stuff coming out with crazy long 500mm reach on a large even though I feel like they're just making up for peoples bad riding posture with those extreme numbers. :party

So I have my first pro race Saturday, the Fontana round of the US Cup.

My goal is not to finish last. That's it.

And I got the cold yesterday. So here I am being as lazy as possible hoping to fully recover by tomorrow.

How did the race go btw?

33829155755_f849008af3_c.jpg

Still a bit muddy here in San Mateo/Belmont. At least in places.

33829155755_f849008af3_c.jpg

Still a bit muddy here in San Mateo/Belmont. At least in places.

I still love that Ritchey! I just built an Ascent Disc Breakaway. It rides super smooth.

Back