• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

How did the race go btw?

Absolute shite. I got sick a few days before the race. I did everything I could do to try and recover, but it wasn't enough. I didn't even finish the first climb before blowing up (scheduled for 6 laps). I suffered through 3 laps before getting pulled off course.

The following weekend at Bonelli, a much bigger race, I felt better. But going up against World Cup riders is nuts! Scheduled for 7 laps, I got 3. Got beat by my friend, still haven't been able to beat him yet (soon).

My friends video of Bonelli (he does great coverage):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGTu9k2AI7Q

Mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IXpjRYoTW0

Ben's video of Fontana (I'm in the blue/orange, pass him on the road climb):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbpGSlPKxeo

New bike day... 2017 Slash 9.8. I've been loving my 2017 Fuel EX, but have been wanting a bit more bike for some riding. I have only one short ride on it here in the midwest, so it's hard to say too much about it. So far I can say that it is obscenely stiff, which I'm pumped about. Kit wise it's great, although I swapped out the guides for Zees and the Bontrager post for a Transfer (both personal preference). My only gripe are the wheels, which are obscenely heavy (~2100g!). Some 1650g carbon wheels will go a long way to pepping up the ride. It pedals really well wide open, and firms up super nice when you flip the climb switch. The bike for sure encouraged me to just jump off everything possible. The real test will be when I get it back to AZ and can hit my home trails.

IMG_20170420_131308 by nicholas dirienzo, on Flickr

The seating position looks really awkward though.

Yeah.... I had a bike like that - spent a lot of times learning how to jump over the handlebars when I was headed over with varying degrees of success lol

New bike day... 2017 Slash 9.8. I've been loving my 2017 Fuel EX, but have been wanting a bit more bike for some riding. I have only one short ride on it here in the midwest, so it's hard to say too much about it. So far I can say that it is obscenely stiff, which I'm pumped about. Kit wise it's great, although I swapped out the guides for Zees and the Bontrager post for a Transfer (both personal preference). My only gripe are the wheels, which are obscenely heavy (~2100g!). Some 1650g carbon wheels will go a long way to pepping up the ride. It pedals really well wide open, and firms up super nice when you flip the climb switch. The bike for sure encouraged me to just jump off everything possible. The real test will be when I get it back to AZ and can hit my home trails.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2928/33812137420_044aa4f9b5_b.jpgIMG_20170420_131308 by nicholas dirienzo, on Flickr

Yay Bike ADD :thumbup

I'm gonna slap another season on my Commencal, but I really see myself getting on some kinda yoked out trail 130mmish bike in the future. We got a nice hot day on Friday so I took it out and found some hero dirt, no scenic pics this time unfortunately. :party

Last edited:
The seating position looks really awkward though.

A lot of that is the angle. I also have pretty long legs, so need to run it high. Not a big deal with the dropper, but I have to make a point to keep weight on the nose of the saddle on techy climbs. Also, I've always had to run a lot of post and thus am used to the climbing position.

Yay Bike ADD :thumbup

I'm gonna slap another season on my Commencal, but I really see myself getting on some kinda yoked out trail 130mmish bike in the future. We got a nice hot day on Friday so I took it out and found some hero dirt, no scenic pics this time unfortunately. :party

Ha, a bit! I sold my Stashe, which was great, but not used much in Arizona. My Fuel will still be ridden 60-70% of the time, because as you said burly 130 bikes are awesome. But, this Slash will be a ton of fun when I have more rowdy days up on Lemmon. Unfortunately, it's currently in NC, but I'll be there a good bit over the next couple of months. Multiple Pisgah trips will be made!

New bike all assembled. I went and actually bought a nm torque wrench for this one, felt like a safe investment.

2017-04-26%2022.21.55_zpsphsvuj4n.jpg

Now I just have to wait for the rain to stop and the trails to dry out.

Last edited:
A lot of that is the angle. I also have pretty long legs, so need to run it high. Not a big deal with the dropper, but I have to make a point to keep weight on the nose of the saddle on techy climbs. Also, I've always had to run a lot of post and thus am used to the climbing position.

Ha, a bit! I sold my Stashe, which was great, but not used much in Arizona. My Fuel will still be ridden 60-70% of the time, because as you said burly 130 bikes are awesome. But, this Slash will be a ton of fun when I have more rowdy days up on Lemmon. Unfortunately, it's currently in NC, but I'll be there a good bit over the next couple of months. Multiple Pisgah trips will be made!

Being a trail rider the enduro bike trend looks weird too. Just me though, I really don't have anything against the trend or enduro riding. But I'm definitely a climber.

I'm one of those burly 130mm riders. About 35 pounds, 2.4 tires (biggest that will fit the rear), Flow 27.5 wheels. But still a pretty long stem and mid biased.

Did the loop at Tamarancho today, temps stayed pretty reasonable and there were a few points of standing water, but by and large it was excellent riding. Some people must have been putting in time to the flow trail, because it's far less choppy than I remember it pre-rainy season.

Being a trail rider the enduro bike trend looks weird too. Just me though, I really don't have anything against the trend or enduro riding. But I'm definitely a climber.

I'm one of those burly 130mm riders. About 35 pounds, 2.4 tires (biggest that will fit the rear), Flow 27.5 wheels. But still a pretty long stem and mid biased.

I hear you, as up until now my main bike as a burly 130mm 29er. I've now ridden the Slash a couple times, and I'm honestly amazed at just how well it does everything, though Even with that 65 degree HTA it still climbs up everything just fine. It pedals just as well as my 2017 Fuel, but has way more travel. The whole bike weighs 31lbs with pedals and heavy wheels. When I ride it part of me asks why you wouldn't want so much suspension when there's essentially no cost. So, yea, it's an 'enduro' bike, but I also think it's generally a super capable bike. I say go give one a go!

Unfortunately, any sort of upgrade is out of the question right now. If I were to get another bike, it would be a FS XC bike (I may be looking out for a used Cannondale Scalpel frame this winter to swap parts with).

Anyone local in sf want to ride, Im pretty new to mountain biking. Looking for some good advice and guidance :)

Back