• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

That's not bad, about the same as my friends Cannondale Scalpel 4.

yeah, the claimed frame weight on this model is about 2200 grams and a carbon scalpel is like 2100. im happy with it so far, riding around town for about 25 miles, other than a creak in the bottom bracket, but that has more to do with stupid bb30 design than the frame. we'll see how happy i am with it after this weekend.

yesterday was pretty fun. we didnt end up going out to auburn, as not to rip up the single track after a hard rain, so we did the granite bay trail in folsom. the chiner 29er held up really well and all day i was constantly expanding my confidence. there were a few sketchy points in the day, mostly due to not having a dropper post and using clipless pedals. i also just ordered a 11-42 cassette because my 11-36 one just wasnt doing the trick on the steep climbs.

15056508_10153963334926497_2937942948738516170_n.jpg

I went to flats on my trail bike and love it. I can get all squirrelly and twisted up and still come out the other side, just maybe without my bike :laughing

A friend is selling me an entry level CX bike cheap, and I entered a race on Saturday. I heard a couple people talking about whether road or MTB guys have the advantage. I just grinned, since I am an MTB rider, triathlete, and roadie :D

I went to flats on my trail bike and love it. I can get all squirrelly and twisted up and still come out the other side, just maybe without my bike :laughing

A friend is selling me an entry level CX bike cheap, and I entered a race on Saturday. I heard a couple people talking about whether road or MTB guys have the advantage. I just grinned, since I am an MTB rider, triathlete, and roadie :D

Better up your sock game. :thumbup

Better up your sock game. :thumbup

Ha ha. I do have a pair of Carlsbad GP (crit) socks, and a pair of Tri Club San Diego socks that both go about mid calf. Good enough for me. But I went for running socks instead.

Attachments

• 15167715_1165191650241095_6839088011128867851_o.jpg
    15167715_1165191650241095_6839088011128867851_o.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 55
There are two bike parks within a few miles of my house. Any suggestions on a cheap jump bike?

Attachments

• IMG_20170130_160832-3.jpg
    IMG_20170130_160832-3.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Depends on what you define as cheap. There's all kinds of stuff on craigslist/ebay.

Some basic hardtail single speed hardtail DJs:
Specialized P1, P2
Giant STP
Haro Steel Reserve

Higher end:
Specialized P slope
BLKMrkt Mob
Diety Cryptkeeper
Santa Cruz Jackal
Santa Cruz Chameleon (you might like this since you're a giant)

Last edited:
No DJs up here and needed something more zesty for the park so I just did a swap-a-roni from my Cryptkeeper to a NS Majesty Park frame. Holy damn is this thing short.

gAP2ZHV.jpg

Last edited:
i've been dying to get the mountain bike back up and running. Just moved to Danville - can anyone recommend some good local trails worth checking out?

i now know why they call it "shitmano". 3 months, less than 100 miles and my rear xt deraileur cracked in half. getting my money back through warranty claim and going full sram GX 1x11.
NlSXvWJl.jpg

damn i've had shimano on all my bikes and beat the living crap out of their stuff - haven't had any issues. That sucks!

Wow, how did that happen? Must have been a hard crash into rocks??

No crash at all. I was just in the easy gear on the rear going up an incline when my pedal stroke turned into catastrophic failure. It also bent the hell out of the pulley cage. It is weird because I have always ran Shimano stuff on my road bike without much issue, other than a broken derailleur hanger that ruined my dura ace derailleur but that was the hangers fault. With my mountain bike, almost every Shimano part other than the brakes I've had major issues with.

Random. Never seem anything like that before. I also prefer SRAM shifts. Shimano brakes all day though...

i now know why they call it "shitmano". 3 months, less than 100 miles and my rear xt deraileur cracked in half. getting my money back through warranty claim and going full sram GX 1x11.
NlSXvWJl.jpg

Do you have a chain length issue? Cut it too short, and even a slight compression of rear suspension can make a mess:laughing

New ride - It's kinda a mountain bike!

It can run 700x40s or 27.5x2's. I also have a flat bar setup for it. Splits in half to fit in an airline checkable case.

32439705793_687785344c_b.jpg
[/url]IMG_3544 by nicholas dirienzo, on Flickr[/img]

Where does it break?

I've thought about lacing my old 650's hoops up to road disc hubs to run on my commuter CX.

Back