• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Cant decide to get a 29er mountain or upgrade my roadie. Currently on 2008 Fuji Ruoubaix RC w/ultegra. It's a 52cm and when I got fitted a 90mm stem was added. Guy said a 50cm in most these days would work. I'm 5'6, longer 29-30 inseam and shorter torso.

That said....eyeing a 2010 Felt F4 on CL for $1500 obo. Ultegra and dura gear with carbon wheels. Thoughts? I can get $800 for mine I think.

Cant decide to get a 29er mountain or upgrade my roadie. Currently on 2008 Fuji Ruoubaix RC w/ultegra. It's a 52cm and when I got fitted a 90mm stem was added. Guy said a 50cm in most these days would work. I'm 5'6, longer 29-30 inseam and shorter torso.

That said....eyeing a 2010 Felt F4 on CL for $1500 obo. Ultegra and dura gear with carbon wheels. Thoughts? I can get $800 for mine I think.
Which would make you happier?

My vote is road bike, or add a TT for a different style of riding. Maybe look for a crap mountain bike that you won't mind sitting in your garage most of the time.

My MTB is a crap old Raleigh that my uncle had sitting in his garage. No suspension, bad components, weighs 3 tons, but I don't mind it sitting most of the time.

I prefer to trail run myself, so I don't trail ride much. My TT is my favorite bike when I'm out riding solo.

One of each. I love my road bike and enjoy riding road, but I LOVE my MTB and LOVE riding dirt even more. I use to have two of each but now I have only what I need - one road and one MTB.

For $1500, just wait until competitive cyclist has a sale on something sweet, you can get a pretty cool new bike for $1500 if you're patient.

I don't use carbon wheels for regular riding (which is all I do anyway) since the braking sucks on the ones without the aluminum brake tracks, so I wouldn't worry too much about wheels.

I don't use carbon wheels for regular riding (which is all I do anyway) since the braking sucks on the ones without the aluminum brake tracks, so I wouldn't worry too much about wheels.

i am thinking of switching out my ritchey wcs carbon wheels for some of those mavic cosmic carbon wheels that have the brake tract just because of the terrible braking. zero modulation w/ them

i am thinking of switching out my ritchey wcs carbon wheels for some of those mavic cosmic carbon wheels that have the brake tract just because of the terrible braking. zero modulation w/ them

Yeah I have a set of Reynolds DV46 clinchers that are really nice, but they need special pads that are expensive and I don't really trust them that much if I had to slow down quickly. I've only put 100 miles on them.

I just do the local weekly group rides and ride with friends and solo. No racing so I don't think it's worth the hassle. Right now I just use my heavy powertap rear wheel w/ a dtswiss rim and a $50 ritchey wheel up front. My wheels aren't holding me back on climbs or sprinting for a town sign. :laughing

I think the tires make more difference than the wheels anyway. For me the most important thing is to be able to hit a bunch of potholes and not worry about any wheel damage.

Also on a bike related note group ride today Santa Cruz's local pro joined in. You could pick him out of the group just from his legs. Just came off the TOC.

just got my new frame. holy shit its light! one downside, i cant use my brand new ultegra 6700 crankset because the pressfit bottom bracket isnt compatible with hollowtech cranksets. ugh. oh well. off to spend more money!

10349138_10152087391361497_2316569215188642649_n.jpg

Just picked up a new commuter this week. I volunteered at a charity group that fixes old mountain bikes and gives them to refuges to help get them around San Diego. Non MTB bikes get sold at a bike swap meet. They let me buy this, which a friend helped ID as a Nashbar Cross. $40, works for me!

Trial by fire yesterday. 110 miles and 5000' elevation.

http://www.strava.com/activities/144798949

Attachments

• 10364016_10202951424600465_4973058723955674159_n.jpg
    10364016_10202951424600465_4973058723955674159_n.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Anyone free to check out a used carbon bike with me this week in Emeryville? PM for details. First carbon bike and not sure what I'll be looking at.

Anyone free to check out a used carbon bike with me this week in Emeryville? PM for details. First carbon bike and not sure what I'll be looking at.

Bring a flashlight and look at the top of the seat tube, the derailleur hanger and the bottom bracket shell for cracks. Ride it and listen for any creaks or pops in the frame when you power down on it.

I'm finding my 2006 Fuji had "square" geometry. size 52 with 529 effective top tube and 410 chainstay. Looking at newer 50cm bikes and the effective top tube are longer in the 545 range and some with 405 chainstays and shorter standover. Would a new 50cm fit like my older 52cm?

Hows this play out in fitting? I guess I just need to sit on a 50cm and see.

I'm finding my 2006 Fuji had "square" geometry. size 52 with 529 effective top tube and 410 chainstay. Looking at newer 50cm bikes and the effective top tube are longer in the 545 range and some with 405 chainstays and shorter standover. Would a new 50cm fit like my older 52cm?

Hows this play out in fitting? I guess I just need to sit on a 50cm and see.

The easiest way is to look at something with a similar effective top tube. Most bikes these days have a sloping top tube, so top tube length doesn't mean that much anymore. I mean best way is to look at the geometry charts and find something with similar reach and stack but ETT should be ok enough. Don't worry about the chainstay length, they will be pretty much the same throughout all the sizes usually.

Started riding this week again after three weeks off. I miss being in race shape. :(

Started riding this week again after three weeks off. I miss being in race shape. :(

I would guess you'll come back stronger if you haven't taken any time off in a long time.

I finally am starting to see my riding improve over where I was pre injury.. took 3 months PT and 3 months riding to do that. :mad

First carbon bike. '13 Giant defy comp 1. Thought about getting the DI2 model but it was a janky afterthought install. Used same frame and literally taped the cables. Didnt think it was worth the $600.

GoRide Bike in Redwood City, great deals! I drove from the east bay to get it. Got semi fitted too. Nothing comprehensive like measure arms and etc but enough. I swapped my saddle which is less thick and think I need to raise the seat bout 1/2" now. I have a hip thing and anything pas parallel my thigh comes its a little discomfort.

q5231pBl.jpg

Back