• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

You only get better by racing with better, right? :thumbup

I have been racing since 2005, I am a slow learner (plus other stuff, long story). :laughing

You do the red kite and giro de SF (or whatever it's called)?

Nice job!

Is 8th just out of the points? :(

Yep, Red Kite on Saturday and Giro on Monday. I ended up 5th in Omium at Red Kite, so bottle of wine. I swear that series is just a gathering of alcoholics anonymous. Wine for prims, wine for podium, wine for omnium. :laughing

Yeah with 75 people it rand 5 or 6 deep.
I have 16/20 points now, also I have 10+ top ten finishes in 30+ size fields. So if I want I can upgrade on the latter.

Thinking of getting into the pedal bike bizzzz, is something like this decently priced for what it is, used and all? I realize it's built up pretty well but don't really know jack about this stuff in an overall sense. I run a lot and plan to work myself up to tri's eventually and think I might as well get started on the biking aspect of things.

Advice is always appreciated.

Think the frame size is correct too, I'm 6'3" / 33" inseam

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/4639935904.html

Thinking of getting into the pedal bike bizzzz, is something like this decently priced for what it is, used and all? I realize it's built up pretty well but don't really know jack about this stuff in an overall sense. I run a lot and plan to work myself up to tri's eventually and think I might as well get started on the biking aspect of things.

Your best be, especially if you are looking to drop that kind of coin, is to get fitted first, so then you will know exactly what you are looking for. I'm on a $40 bike, so I just went with "close enough". But being fit for your bike is like being fit for all your running clothes and shoes. Close enough may get you by, but not a smart plan if you are going to buy multiple running shoes and a wardroom :D

Will do on the fitting.

Let's say it is after all my "perfect fit", what's your opinion on that particular setup?

I'll do a bunch of research regardless but just getting some initial input here is helpful.

Seems an OK price. New ones go for 4k something. Plus he put aftermarket wheels. Those run around $700. Try and see if he will go for 2500, and give reasons that you might need a different handle bar for width purposes, saddle.

Overall Trek are good bikes, although personally I think they are asking too much for what they offer. Dura Ace 9k is top of the line offering. Well they also offer electronic shifting, so one can argue that is top of the line. So 9k is top of the line for mechanical shifting.

Personally if I was dropping that kind of coin I would build something from scratch, but that implies knowing what you want (saddle, seatpost, stem (length/rise), handle bars (deep/shallow, ergo/classic bend), groupset, crank, frame). For example personally I prefer compact crank. So if that one comes with standard that means extra hassle and $$ trying to sell standard and buying compact. Then there are shifters. Also personal preference, but I like the ergonomics of SRAM ones. So on my bikes I run SRAM shifters and derailures with Shimano drive train. Then there is a saddle. I know which ones my ass preferres so chances are I will be replacing it. Also extra $$. Same for pedals. He has LOOK, I like Shimano one.

I guess what I am trying to say is the devil is in detail. Try going to shops and test riding bunch of bikes. It won't give you a complete picture, but at least some hints. Budget for swapping saddle, handle bars, stem, pedals. You might not need to, but never know.

I have been racing since 2005, I am a slow learner (plus other stuff, long story). :laughing

I started racing murdercycles in 2007. Still trying to figure out turn 1 :laughing

Let's say it is after all my "perfect fit", what's your opinion on that particular setup?

I'm very newb there, so I'll keep my mouth shut :D

Yep, Red Kite on Saturday and Giro on Monday. I ended up 5th in Omium at Red Kite, so bottle of wine. I swear that series is just a gathering of alcoholics anonymous. Wine for prims, wine for podium, wine for omnium. :laughing

Yeah with 75 people it rand 5 or 6 deep.
I have 16/20 points now, also I have 10+ top ten finishes in 30+ size fields. So if I want I can upgrade on the latter.

Nice! I'd upgrade for next season.

I probably should have gone to the last red kite, but again my desire to get up super early didn't kick in the night before. :laughing

I'm still going to hit up at least 1 crit this year if I can.

That's a lot for a first bike. You'd be better off just getting a $1500 or so bike and seeing if you like riding before dropping 3k on a full dura ace bike with crabon wheels for a first bike, and then finding you hate it or that you want a tri bike or something.

This place has a supersix evo in your size for $1600 new and you can go test ride it first:

http://www.goridebicycles.com/goride/?page_id=412

You could race on that thing tomorrow and never really have to upgrade it.

Well only Crit that is left is Oaklamd Grand Prix at 8 in the morning. :laughing

There is also CCCX, but it's not a crit.

Well only Crit that is left is Oaklamd Grand Prix at 8 in the morning. :laughing

There is also CCCX, but it's not a crit.

:( :( Well next season! Yeah I think I'll have to try for the CCCX road race then I guess.

Only a few track races left too, and I am missing 2 because I'm out of town. :(

The size of that bike might be a bit large.
I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam and ride a 58cm. Frame.
Like has already been stated, you might want to spend less for a bike incase you find its not for you.
Go-Ride has some nice bikes for not much money as per the link.
I also may be selling my old bike as I just bought a new one if you are interested.
It's a Specialized S-Works E5 Max Aerotec with Dura Ace drivetrain, fulcrum racing 5 evo wheelset..
Not trying to pedal my wares so to speak (no pun intended) but if you're interested shoot me a pm.

Just bought myself a Domane 6.2 disc. I've recently been getting more into road riding, and my Soma isn't cutting it. It's too small, heavy, and the brakes suck. This should take care of those issues! The only bummer is that it won't arrive for a couple weeks.

1405940814168-5z7d3i14ho7h-700-80.jpg

Last edited:
I want discs so badly.

Yea, one of the things I have always hated about road bikes is the crappy brakes relative to mountain bikes. It doesn't help that my Soma is running long reach Cane Creek calipers. No power and a terrible feeling lever. Can't wait to ride the Shimano discs!

Luckily my bike is a CX frame, so I have long leverage on the brakes. And it is also going to be easy to bolt on discs. But just money I don't have right now.

Few reasons:
I like the feel of discs. I can control them better when I'm on the limits of traction. Very handy when riding road tires in slick conditions.
Less impacted by weather.
I find then easier to maintain.

I have to hit a lot of intersections when commuting. A sudden red light at the bottom of the hill and a light load means the rear starts to come up or step out. I feel more comfortable with discs.

But it will be a while.

Main reason I see is that it doesn't wear down side walls of rims.
Although truthfully only time I had issues with that are with some POS chinese rims.
Just got me some C24 shimano wheels. Not sure if it's the rims they use, or new brake calipers with pads, but response is quite snappy.

so i bought some speedplays and i went on my first long ride with them. i am sold. other than being almost impossible to clip into for the first 30 or so clip in/outs , they feel great, my knee feels awesome and i couldve gone another 40 miles easily today.

Back