• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Why are they better then shimano spd-sls? I run mine with red clits (no float), and have been quite happy with them. Should have went to zero float long time ago. Feel much more secure just pedaling in general, but in sprints it's the shiznit.

Why are they better then shimano spd-sls? I run mine with red clits (no float), and have been quite happy with them. Should have went to zero float long time ago. Feel much more secure just pedaling in general, but in sprints it's the shiznit.

i dont know if you remember, but i got my seatpost stuck in my frame and it was like 1/2cm too low, which is one of the main reasons my knee had been starting to ache. my solution to this was to buy a dedicated speedplay 4 hole shoe and some zeros. i lowered my stack height about .4cm so my bike finally fits me and the float is just an added bonus.

I've got Look pedals because they came with my TT bike (never had clueless before that). I definitely fell in love with that feeling fast. But I need different cleats. The LBS set me up with cleats that have a lot of float since they were my first. While I don't fault them on that, most cyclists really suck had bike handling and cleats make it harder for newbs, I really should have started with less float.

Still pretty do the job well on the TT where I sit mostly locked in the aero position, rarely sprinting.

Ah. Dude I don't even remember what I had for breakfast. :laughing

Hmm, shop couldn't get it out? Maybe some W40 or something? Trying to remove seat posts from carbon frames can be pita. :|

I've got Look pedals because they came with my TT bike (never had clueless before that). I definitely fell in love with that feeling fast. But I need different cleats. The LBS set me up with cleats that have a lot of float since they were my first. While I don't fault them on that, most cyclists really suck had bike handling and cleats make it harder for newbs, I really should have started with less float.

Still pretty do the job well on the TT where I sit mostly locked in the aero position, rarely sprinting.

They recommend tons of float because most people don't get properly fitted. So it's easier to get away with meh fit. With less float/zero float you need to be more precise about overall fit and position of a clit, and how turned out/turn in food is. Otherwise it puts strain on the knees, which can lead to issues down the road.

Ah. Dude I don't even remember what I had for breakfast. :laughing

Hmm, shop couldn't get it out? Maybe some W40 or something? Trying to remove seat posts from carbon frames can be pita. :|

its a bmc, so the post is square and its carbon on carbon. most shops wouldnt even touch it. calfee said they would take a look at it but no guarantee that they wont break the frame, so i figure id try my best to enjoy the bike before it might become useless.

it was completely my fault tho. i am an idiot. i had been using 3m clear bra adhesive on the back of the post to stop a common squeaking problem they had. one day i got the bright idea to put some carbon paste on it as well. its basically fused together now and probably has to have the post cut out.

They don't self center like shimanos and have better ground clearance too. I used to have all sorts of weird knee issues and speedplays cleared them up. Probably a crappy fit thing, but it's better than knee probs. I run at max float but they don't move much when riding so never bothered me. I think some people like no float and others need more for joint issues.

They do suck for doing track stands though.

Last edited:
Whats self center, and why do they suck for track standing?
<-- too lazy to unclip.

Better ground clearance sounds nice. Pedals I got earlier this year are already grounded on both sides. :|

They recommend tons of float because most people don't get properly fitted. So it's easier to get away with meh fit. With less float/zero float you need to be more precise about overall fit and position of a clit, and how turned out/turn in food is. Otherwise it puts strain on the knees, which can lead to issues down the road.

That's why I don't fault them at all. Better to give me too much float and come back later for different cleats them blame them for causing knee pain.

Great timing. I partially broke a cleat on my way home from work yesterday. So I stopped by an LBS on my way home that supports the tri club and bought a pair of the 4-5* cleats to replace the 8-9* ones.

I have probably 5000 miles in the past two years on these KEO cleats. I assume that is expected life span. Running in the transition area with them on surely shortens the life.

Alright question for the roadies - what do you all eat when you get done riding? I've been mountain biking for the last 15 years, but have recently been getting more into road riding. I've been knocking out a couple 40-60 mile rides each week and loving it. The only thing is that I get back and I'm freaking starving. Not only that, but I'm starving for hours on end. I get pretty hungry after mountain biking too, but nothing like road biking. Do you all just eat whatever is in front of you, or do you focus on certain foods post-ride?

I got back from a 60 miler today and ate a giant bowl of veggie/chicken curry with brown rice, some toast, a chocolate chip cookie from nugget, and a coke. That was like three hours ago and I'm already hungry again.

my favorite recovery meal is rare beef pho. its got salt to replenish them electrolytes, protein to feed those hungry muscles and carbs to fuel you for the next day.

25 bucks in pvc tubing later and i have a bike rack for the truck

Eimz9Nal.jpg

rnI4n8nl.jpg

anyone going to twilight cycling at laguna seca tomorrow?

I've done it, it was fun but I think after you do it once it's enough unless they are doing a crit or something I guess.

Alright question for the roadies - what do you all eat when you get done riding? I've been mountain biking for the last 15 years, but have recently been getting more into road riding. I've been knocking out a couple 40-60 mile rides each week and loving it. The only thing is that I get back and I'm freaking starving. Not only that, but I'm starving for hours on end. I get pretty hungry after mountain biking too, but nothing like road biking. Do you all just eat whatever is in front of you, or do you focus on certain foods post-ride?

I got back from a 60 miler today and ate a giant bowl of veggie/chicken curry with brown rice, some toast, a chocolate chip cookie from nugget, and a coke. That was like three hours ago and I'm already hungry again.

I just eat whatever I can find, but my diet sucks. I usually grab a chocolate milk and a banana right after a ride and then eat a meal after that. Add another meal if you are still hungry, figure at moderate pace you are burning 500/cal an hour so you need to make up any calories you didn't get while riding. Try to eat well the day before too.

Last edited:

For 40 mile rides just water. For 50+ those horrible clif bars, or bananas. As for post ride. Usually Ensure drink. Has 30 something grams of carbs and 8 of protein. Then a bagel or lunch. Basically recommendation is to consume around 200-300 calories mostly from carbs with some protein within 30 minutes of exercise. Then eat as normal.

25 bucks in pvc tubing later and i have a bike rack for the truck

Eimz9Nal.jpg

rnI4n8nl.jpg

Nice. :thumbup

anyone going to twilight cycling at laguna seca tomorrow?

I am bringing my motorcycle there on Monday. :teeth
I would love to ride my bike there, but it's impossible to get there for me during a week. Seating 3+ hours in traffic just doesn't sound too appealing to me. :|

Back