• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

I have yet to get out to the POO ride. I've done Spectrum, House of Pain, Turkey Day Ride (that was fun!) and Tuesday Night Sprints with none other than Larry Nolan but the Port of Oakland ride scurs me:cry

Bah, i'll get out there someday. It looks like a blast!

if you've done the hop ride & sprints with larry you'll be fine . Just hang out in the pack & suck the many wheels available :thumbup:teeth

Todays Torture ! ! !

Ok, my training's been going like shit so I had the day off and decided to go beat the shit out of myself on Diablo. The most miles, the most vertical and the longest time my ass has been in a saddle for a very long time. Tomorrow's gonna suck!

The Route:
Heather Farms (in Walnut Creek) to North-gate
North-gate to Ranger station (junction)
Ranger station down South-gate to Athenian school
Athenian school up South-gate all the way to the summit
Back down to the bottom of North-gate
North-gate back up to the ranger station
Then back down North-gate and out to Heather Farms

The Vertical: (Approximately)
2,000 +or- North-gate to junction
3,500 +or- Athenian School up South-gate to the summit
7,500 +or- ? ? ?

Timed Sections: Yes, these are gonna be "turtle" slow :(
...46:05 North-gate to junction 1st time
1:24:00 South-gate to summit
...48:12 North-gate to junction 2nd time

Total Miles: 55

Total Time in the Saddle Many ass soars :(

Last edited:
The Route:
Heather Farms (in Walnut Creek) to North-gate
North-gate to Ranger station (junction)
Ranger station down South-gate to Athenian school
Athenian school up South-gate all the way to the summit
Back down to the bottom of North-gate
North-gate back up to the ranger station
Then back down North-gate and out to Heather Farms

The Vertical: (Approximately)
3,500 +or- Athenian School up South-gate to the summit
7,500 +or- ? ? ?

I used the Klimb.org elevation profile tool - looks like your estimates are pretty damn close :)

57cm Cinelli for sale: $600 or $800 depending on component group

$600 with full Ultegra 9spd kit or $800 with full Dura Ace 9spd kit. Bike is full aluminum (altec2) and in great shape.
email for pics

57cm Kestrel Talon Road/Tri bike $900

I just finished a reassembly from the frame up. Bike is dialed and needs nothing. Full Ultegra 9 speed group. Bontrager Race X-lite wheels. ITM bar and stem. Rithchey WCS saddle.
It belongs to one of my triathletes and she bought a new one.

Greg, if you email em to me, I'll get em online for ya.

citybikemike at yahoo dot com

I just finished a reassembly from the frame up. Bike is dialed and needs nothing. Full Ultegra 9 speed group. Bontrager Race X-lite wheels. ITM bar and stem. Rithchey WCS saddle.
It belongs to one of my triathletes and she bought a new one.

Would that fit me?

never mind, I think I'm a 50-52 at most

Just thought i'd share. This was taken from Saturday's memorial ride. That's about half of the folks that attended.

Attachments

• IMG_3832.jpg
    IMG_3832.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 94
Hey everyone I am a total noob to this side of riding but would like to get into it for fitness at first with entering into some events at the later part of this year. But for the most part just out to enjoy myself and stay in shape, figure it should be great cross training for riding the moto. Anyways how do I go about sizing myself for a road bike. I mountain bike(both am/xc and street/park/dj) and prefer the feel of a more compact bike, the same goes for bmx. Well when I used to ride it that was. I am 5'11" and road bike sizes have me super confused, is it just preference?

This is starting to become a novel and I apologize, but what exactly should I look at for a begginer bike? I have been told the trek 1k is a good bike to start. Anyone have any experience with this giant? http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/road/1243/29270/ to much to start with?

More important than Giant over Trek is fit, I'd say go test ride them both. Since your already into biking, for your price range they are all the same. Goto your fav LBS and buy whatever they have in stock that fits you & your budget.

Giants tend to be a lot of bike for the money. Since they are a huge company you generaly get a really good deal dollar-wise. If I had to guesson sizing in Giant your either a M (if you prefer a smaller bike and aggressive position) or a L if like a more traditional fit. I bought a Giant Road bike as my first bike, and it was way more than enough. Eventually I ended up upgrading everything but the drivetrain...and just recently I upgraded the frame to something else.

btw, anybody looking for a Medium CF Giant frame? Mavic Cosmos? or a Compact Crank (ritchey or tru)? PM me.

Yeah, if you're buying new, seek a quality LBS and have them put you on a size cycle to determine proper fit and position. Be candid with them about your riding objectives, your present physical shape and goals. They count for proper sizing and initial bike setup.

Y, Giants are usually very good bang for the $, but Trek offers the advantage of having smaller increments in frame sizes per model (usually 9 different sizes, versus Giant's 4).

Gonna climb Mt. Diablo every day this week

4:00 at Sportsbasement Walnut Creek (ygnacio and San Carlos dr.) if anyone wants to join me :ride

Yup, fit is important. You can have someone at the LBS do a "fit kit" or you can research bike fit and have someone measure you.

I have my measurments recorded and I know what top tube size, seat tube and stem I need so that I can save $$$ on line.

dont forget .... its tue ! the tue. night ride is tonoght at 7pm , tip of the lake ( merritt) across from golds gym on grand av. in oakland . Come get your legs ripped off :teeth ...... or sit in the pack & just get one leg ripped off :laughing

see ya out there:thumbup

Hey you guys... I keep having this slooooow leak in my rear tire. I've changed the tube 16 bazillion times and every time I go out to the garage, the tire's a little low. I pump it up, go out riding, and 10 minutes from home I'm on the side of the road in the weeds changing another tube. I've felt all OVER the inside of the rubber. That tire has been seriously violated and I can't find a thing.

So I'm throwing in the towel. My dreams of being stingy and running on it till it was ground down to nothing have been dashed against the rocks of reality.

Do I need to get two matching or can I cheap out and just get one? Also, I'm running 25 mm tires right now I guess. I was told that given my size I could run 23 and save some weight (like 0.000002 lbs. probably :rolleyes) without changing my rims. I really don't like changing tires though and would like something a tad more heavy-duty that doesn't weigh much more. Recommendations?

Back