• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Saturday Ride - Calaveras + Sierra Road

I'm thinking of doing about 40 miles this Saturday on Calaveras and Sierra Road. Start and finish where Calaveras Road meets Highway 680. It looks like there's a dirt shoulder on the East / Northbound side of Calaveras Road where we can park, almost directly across from the 680 onramp.

I'd like to be rolling by 10 AM. Here's the route:

http://tinyurl.com/29bsv6

Anyone else interested?

I'm in for this Mikey. Never done Calaveras. Ooooohhhh....Ahhhh...and we get to do Sierra, too, eh? I'll pretend to do my best Levi Leipheimer impression and not pass out or throw up on the climb. :laughing (I'm gonna be a big wuss and bring the triple-cassette, aluminum-frame Trek over the double-cassette, steel-frame Steelman that I've been borrowing.) :banana

Sunday dammit, Sunday.:(

Going Downhill Mountain Bike racing on Sunday, otherwise I'd be up for it :)

I'm in for this Mikey. Never done Calaveras. Ooooohhhh....Ahhhh...and we get to do Sierra, too, eh? I'll pretend to do my best Levi Leipheimer impression and not pass out or throw up on the climb. :laughing (I'm gonna be a big wuss and bring the triple-cassette, aluminum-frame Trek over the double-cassette, steel-frame Steelman that I've been borrowing.) :banana

I've ridden Calaveras plenty of times on the moto - 90 horsepower does wonders to hide those elevation changes! I was quite surprised the first time I did it with my own legs.

Cheezy said he did it on a standard double, but it was hellish. Not sure what size big ring he was using.

Last edited:
Hellish is correct. I use a 53/59 with a 12-25 cassette, my cadence going up Sierra was like, one.:laughing

I'm kind of at an advantage though, I have a petite man-build.:teeth And yet, I still almost keeled over.

c'mon Cheese Nip... come out and play with us. :twofinger

You lookin' to hammer? 80% I'll be at Canada & 92 on Sunday, but not hammering (yet).
That's on my route to kings mtn rd. I might attempt a down-and-back on tunitas , but it's been awhile so it'll depend on how I feel once I'm up kings mtn.

What route are you doing?

-ak-

Hardly hammering. These days i'm barely hanging on for dear life! I wish I could go play on Saturday but Saturday's are a no-go for me, at least for now.

Cheese Nip.:thumbup

Yea, count me out.
Did 40 on Tuesday and clocked an average speed of 14.3 mph
and did 40 again today and clock 14.1 slow, pathetic mph.

About the only folks I'm ready to ride with would be a few senior citizens (some slow ones) and a few turtles I passed along they way. :( :wow

That's not bad. When I did Sierra during the TOC, I got passed by two older dudes (on separate occasions) wearing neon yellow. Yeah, you know the type, the one's with ultra-bright gear for ultimate visibility and their baggy spandex.

Last edited:
That's on my route to kings mtn rd. I might attempt a down-and-back on tunitas , but it's been awhile so it'll depend on how I feel once I'm up kings mtn.

What route are you doing?

-ak-

Down Tunitas? What did you arms & hands ever do to you that you hate them so much??? ;)

Route wise I'm 100% open, my goal is <3:45 actual riding time, zone3, high cadence. Mini-grenaded my front wheel last night riding around the city, hopefully I'll get it back by Sunday if I take it in today.

10,000 ft on Saturday.

Leave my place at 8:00am
Morgan Territory Rd to Tassajara.
Tassajara to Diablo Rd.
Diablo Rd. to Southgate and summit Mt. Diablo
Down Northgate then back up to summit.
Back down Northgate to my place.

A little over 75mi. and 10k of climbing.
Several bail out options along the way.

Anyone interested?

^^^

I did this exact ride last Saturday, but also rode back to Oakland. That ain't 10K of climbing (maybe according to a Garmin :rolleyes), but a barometric altimeter will yield about 6800 to 7000 ft. climb on that loop.

I'd join ya for this, but riding a brevet this Saturday. Rubber side down.

A little over 75mi. and 10k of climbing.
Several bail out options along the way.

Anyone interested?

If I didn't have a mountain bike race on Sunday, I'd give it a go. Next time!

That's not bad. When I did Sierra during the TOC, I got passed by two older dudes (on separate occasions) wearing neon yellow. Yeah, you know the type, the one's with ultra-bright gear for ultimate visibility and their baggy spandex.

Hey, I was wearing one of those. I wasn't passing much of anyone tho :)

Yea, count me out.
Did 40 on Tuesday and clocked an average speed of 14.3 mph
and did 40 again today and clock 14.1 slow, pathetic mph.

What was the route you took?

c'mon Cheese Nip... come out and play with us. :twofinger

Looks like it's just me and you?

Just me an' you. No one can do Saturday. I had a lot of interest otherwise. No worries--haven't been riding with just you in a while. We'll chat this evening about details. :)

Photos of Mikey's and my ride today here.

Hopefully we'll have some company next time! :thumbup

Even with the double summit on Mt. Diablo?

2x Mt Diablo sounds fun. It's too bad I didn't see this, although I had work to do saturday anyhow and could only get in a 50 mile ride. I'll try to check more frequently to see if you're up for another one.

Back