• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Do any of you road ride w/ a Camelback? I recently purchased a Camelback and it REVOLUTIONIZED me. I mean I took it to Downieville and Half Dome and I was loving being so freaking hydrated! I've always been the guy who brings one bottle of water to teh top of King's Mtn Rd and starves on teh way down.

I have a Specialized Tarmac Expert that I've only ridden 300 miles since last year. Sad.

Funny you asked, I just did an epic ride last weekend and used it for the first time (on a road ride). 67 miles from SF to the East Bay on my fixed gear/track bike. As you may or may not know, they don't have water bottle bosses so I used my Camelbak, dorked out and all. I couldn't imagine doing the ride without one.

This winter I plan on using it a lot more for training rides longer than 40 miles.

Shimano goes electronic shifting...

Well, it's been talked about and tried previously - but looks like it's now actually here: Shimano Dura Ace Electronic Shifting (D12). Aside from the mind-blowing $$$$$ of it - what do you guys think?

http://www.rbaction.net/fly.aspx?layout=content&taxid=67&cid=732

I don't think I can ever justify the cost personally, but it's cool to see the direction this introduction is taking. Technology forges on...

$4000! Yikes! I guess it's not much more than a Dura Ace group drivetrain, which costs $2500.

The first thing I thought about was the weight, but supposedly that battery weighs as much as a powerbar, and lets people get over 2000 miles? Pretty impressive, but also hard to believe that the battery is the only weight difference, with all the actuators that are needed.

It'll be interesting to see what non-biased reviews look like.

Do any of you road ride w/ a Camelback? I recently purchased a Camelback and it REVOLUTIONIZED me. I mean I took it to Downieville and Half Dome and I was loving being so freaking hydrated! I've always been the guy who brings one bottle of water to teh top of King's Mtn Rd and starves on teh way down.

I have a Specialized Tarmac Expert that I've only ridden 300 miles since last year. Sad.
I use my camelback on long rides. I used it on the MS ride that was 75 miles a day for two days and also on the 100 mile Dibetes ride. I use it on my Tiburon loop rides also. I definetly drink more water when i use it. I also fill my back half way up with Ice and it keeps the water nice and cool for over 3 hours. I have also froze a Smart Water bottle (33 0z size) and it lasted 3 hours.

$4000! Yikes! I guess it's not much more than a Dura Ace group drivetrain, which costs $2500.

The first thing I thought about was the weight, but supposedly that battery weighs as much as a powerbar, and lets people get over 2000 miles? Pretty impressive, but also hard to believe that the battery is the only weight difference, with all the actuators that are needed.

It'll be interesting to see what non-biased reviews look like.

The good thing is that, in time, the Di2 technology may trickle down to the more affordable gruppos (105/Ultegra) and that's maybe when I'll bite. I also wonder how this would influence the MTB world at all...

Fuji Update...

Ok - so I upgraded a bit. A little Ritchey WCS here and there; a bit of FSA Carbon here; Selle San Marco SKN Pro there; Reynolds Solitudes this, Reynolds Ouzo Pro that; a little Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks; some Kool Stops and soon to be Ultegra SL Crankset-equipped. A couple more things and I call it Rick's bike...

The Fuji Team Rick T. Edition: :)

Attachments

• 48FFC6950009F0D20000162222070208530107029F0E9B9D9D.jpg
    48FFC6950009F0D20000162222070208530107029F0E9B9D9D.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 89
My ass is hurting just looking at that seat. :laughing

And speaking of unbearable pain... :laughing if someone's up for a ride, I'm interesting in doing something about 40 miles this Saturday. Moderate/mellow pace. Climbing will be involved. I'm open to routes if someone else is leading, but East Bay and North Bay are preferred. I have to get back for a dinner in the evening.

Ok - so I upgraded a bit. A little Ritchey WCS here and there; a bit of FSA Carbon here; Selle San Marco SKN Pro there; Reynolds Solitudes this, Reynolds Ouzo Pro that; a little Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks; some Kool Stops and soon to be Ultegra SL Crankset-equipped. A couple more things and I call it Rick's bike...

The Fuji Team Rick T. Edition: :)

Drool:p:hail

Do any of you road ride w/ a Camelback?

I swiched away from camekback a while ago both for road and mountain. I did not like the hot back and the weight sloshing around.

I do miss the ease of use, but I dont miss the fact there they are really hard to clean and you dont dare put any kind of sports drink in there.

They make a areo vertion of the camelback which is a big advantage for high speed road biking or time trials because water bottle in the conventional location induce a lot of drag.

And speaking of unbearable pain... :laughing if someone's up for a ride, I'm interesting in doing something about 40 miles this Saturday. Moderate/mellow pace. Climbing will be involved. I'm open to routes if someone else is leading, but East Bay and North Bay are preferred. I have to get back for a dinner in the evening.
I usually do the tiburon loop from my house and it is about 46 miles total. I went on a ride down the coast today to the resivoir by 92 and it totaled 48 miles but the climbs are what make it a good ride. Was nice and warm the whole way, even through Daly City and Pacifica. :teeth

I'm meeting BicycleMech1 at 9 a.m. at the Peet's in Walnut Creek near Sports Basement for those interesting in joining. We'll knock out about 30 miles and be back in time for lunch prolly. Not sure how much climbing is involved.

Pretty Flat ride:

We will be in very close proximity to Mt. Diablo if anyone wants to add some climbing.

Oh well. Can't make it Saturday but would like to do a ride some other time with some people. Some call me hard core, but I dont think of myself as. I just think I like to ride. I will be signing up for the Tour De Cure again. It is for Diabetes and I will be doing the 100 mile ride. I did it last year and want to do it again. I am also wanting to get a team together if anyone would like to do it. Right now Reg is only $15 untill Feb. The ride is May 3rd.

Last edited:
Doing a bout 40 miles or so tomorrow. Winter loop concluding in a nice climb up our local hill - Cantelow. You guys have a fun weekend!! :thumbup

Back