• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

this sunday is pen velo loop ride out of 92& canada rd in san mateo. good group usually. if you are interested PM me I will give you my info and meeting place. I will give you my cell number incase of bad rain and we can maybe arrange a good ride later in the day.

roll out at exactly 8am
location highway 92 and canada road.
riding time est. 1.5hrs we can do more later.
pace ugh hard to tell this time of year. but I will hang or wait at certain meeting spots

we can do brunch later if we all get along lol.

this sunday is pen velo loop ride out of 92& canada rd in san mateo. good group usually. if you are interested PM me I will give you my info and meeting place. I will give you my cell number incase of bad rain and we can maybe arrange a good ride later in the day.

roll out at exactly 8am
location highway 92 and canada road.
riding time est. 1.5hrs we can do more later.
pace ugh hard to tell this time of year. but I will hang or wait at certain meeting spots

we can do brunch later if we all get along lol.

I ride in that area, but I live in Campbell, so the ride start location is not good for me, else I would go.

What do you experienced road bikers recommend for winter jerseys and jackets? Something to keep upper body and arms warm, but that won't get too hot once you get going. Waterproof might be good too. I'm looking for something cheap and/or used if anyone's selling. Thanks!

If it's just a little cold, I use arm / leg warmers. I should use a vest with that, as my torso still gets cold.

If it's more than just a little cold, I have two different thicknesses of cycling specific fleeces, toe warmers, and a thicker fleece lined cycling set of tights. Winter gloves and a head warmer work well when temps drop below 40 degrees.

I do my best to stay out of the water. Cleaning all the crap that gets into the drivetrain takes time.

Start with a good base layer to keep your core warm. Craft makes a bunch for different types of weather. Something waterproof would be waaaay too hot, those types of materials don't allow your body to breathe.

Gilets/vests are my favorite article of clothing for cool, cold mornings. Once you're warmed up, they tuck away neatly into a jersey pocket.

Last edited:
If it's just a little cold, I use arm / leg warmers. I should use a vest with that, as my torso still gets cold.

If it's more than just a little cold, I have two different thicknesses of cycling specific fleeces, toe warmers, and a thicker fleece lined cycling set of tights. Winter gloves and a head warmer work well when temps drop below 40 degrees.

I do my best to stay out of the water. Cleaning all the crap that gets into the drivetrain takes time.
What is unique about cycling specific fleece? Or cycling specific clothing/material?

It's just cycling specific clothing that fleece lined (snug fit and not loose so it's flapping around when riding) .
Depending on your definition of cold weather riding, you can get cycle clothing with a little fleece or a lot, or even water proof.

On really bad days (cold and wet), I use Perl Izumi Amphib cycling bibs.
Other cold weather clothing options are running tights over cycling shorts, with leg warmers over the tights. If it get's warmer, I can peel off the leg warmers, roll them up and shove them in a pocket.

I'll also put on a Swobo wool baselayer shirt, pearl izumi fleece lined vest, neoproene booties or toe covers, wool cycling socks, full fingered gloves, and a beanie/cap that covers my ears.

-ak-

Did anyone do the giro d vino in lodi last weekend? That was my first organized ride. It was some of the hardest work i've done on a bike. 100k without training, and on a 25 year old road bike.

my dad wants me to start training for a century ride in march...anyone else up for it?

Did anyone do the giro d vino in lodi last weekend? That was my first organized ride. It was some of the hardest work i've done on a bike. 100k without training, and on a 25 year old road bike.

my dad wants me to start training for a century ride in march...anyone else up for it?
Where is this century ride going to be? I am pretty much ready for that now.

Anyone know what the most popular road biking forum for Bay Area cyclists might be? I thought maybe Roadbikereview.com, but it doesn't seem to have the activity that MTBR.com does.

hey folks I have a brandnew in the box cannondale 54 cm supersix retails for 3000+ and cannondales super light supper stiff hollow gram sl cranks also in the box. I am asking 2700. Its my situation leaves you with a great opportunity. Its so new its still at my local bike shop in san mateo. PM me

Back