• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

MrCrash907 said:

AK, did you mention something about doing triathlons in a different thread?
I completed the "Escape from Alcatraz" triathlon a couple of weekends ago. :banana

My swim from Alcatraz took just under an hour!

I'm not a fantastic swimmer, but I'm just happy I finished it and didn't drown or get swept out under the the Golden Gate.

-ak-

Atak Kat said:
I completed the "Escape from Alcatraz" triathlon a couple of weekends ago. :banana

My swim from Alcatraz took just under an hour!

I'm not a fantastic swimmer, but I'm just happy I finished it and didn't drown or get swept out under the the Golden Gate.

-ak-

Congratulations!:thumbup

I'll be doing the Escape from the Rock in October.

How did you feel once you got out of the water?

Last edited:
zx6roxy said:

How did you feel once you got out of the water?
Thanks!

Actually, I felt great after the swim.
I think it was the adrenaline of finishing the swim and knowing I still had 26 miles to go on the bike & run. The hilly bike ride and the run on the beach/sand ladder made it feel much more longer though.

As much open-water training that I did, I didn't account for the swells in the middle of the bay. Sometimes it felt like I was swimming down hill or sideways.

-ak-

Ok, Mt. Hamilton is on again for this weekend (I ended up not going last weekend). Anyone interested, it's going to be nice and hot. :flame

I melt in the sun so i'm gonna have to pass. Eh, what time are you heading out anyhow?

Definitely sometime before noon, I'm thinkng 9-ish at the latest.

Anyone have suggested routes in Oakland Hillls?

Hi,

I was wondering if you have any routes to recommend for he Oakland Hills. The link to velogirls is dead. They had good one.

One that goes by upper Broadway by 24 to something like Skyline and near Hwy 13 etc.

Thanks!

Re: Anyone have suggested routes in Oakland Hillls?

cack said:
Hi,

I was wondering if you have any routes to recommend for he Oakland Hills. The link to velogirls is dead. They had good one.

One that goes by upper Broadway by 24 to something like Skyline and near Hwy 13 etc.

Thanks!

http://www.inl.org/bicycle/deathride.html

;)

From the Bay side, Tunnel, Centennial, and Spruce are popular ways to make it to Skyline / Grizzly Peak. Other alternatives are Claremont and Joaquin Miller. Tunnel is probably the easiest of the climbs, followed by Spruce. All the others take some strong legwork - look at the link to the Death Ride for profiles on them.

Once you're in the hills, Pinehurst, Bear Creek, and Wildcat Canyon are all popular routes.

How many miles are you looking at cranking out, and how challenging of a climb are you looking to tackle?

Marin breaks the souls of all but the strongest climbers...

Yay! Just picked up a road bike...figured it would be a good work-out/fun when I can't get out on the mountain with the ellsworth. Let me build up some endurance/leg strength and I'll join you guys for a ride!!

2540460-trek_roadbike.jpg

I'm planning doing a ride tonight after work from SF (Skyline)towards 92 and back, who wants to join me? I'm planning on starting around 630pm tonight

Last edited:
Sweet ride JnglstTICAL, you're going to looooove railing corners with a road bike. I switched from mountain biking and haven't looked back since.

Btw, zx6roxy there's a new triathlon specific shop in Palo Alto. They'll be hosting guest speakers in July, Dr. Massimo Testa, Linda Gallo and Steve Blum (Coordinator of Officials for USAT's Southwest Region). Lemme know if you're interested and i'll forward you the email.

cheezy said:
Btw, zx6roxy there's a new triathlon specific shop in Palo Alto. They'll be hosting guest speakers in July, Dr. Massimo Testa, Linda Gallo and Steve Blum (Coordinator of Officials for USAT's Southwest Region). Lemme know if you're interested and i'll forward you the email.

Thanks cheezy, I'd like more info!

cheezy said:
Sweet ride JnglstTICAL, you're going to looooove railing corners with a road bike. I switched from mountain biking and haven't looked back since.

hehehe, you haven't been on a mtn bike ride with Mr. Crash, myself and the gang!! ;) but yah, I'm looking forward to the roadie!!

Yeah, the roadie hasn't seen much weekend action since I finished up the triathlon. It's the more efficient midweek workout, for sure. But when it's fun time, I'm all about the bouncy bike!

demo15em.jpg

nstar6gq.jpg

Last edited:
I dunno, I was mountain biking for about 15 (same as motorcycling) years. I started with a GT Karokoram(hardtail), GT RTS2(one of the first fully suspended rigs) and then a K2 Attack. I guess I just don't like to get dirty, just kidding.

I find road biking a more natural transition from motorcyling. Pity not more barfers road bike given the similarites versus mountain biking (unless you motocross).

Don't even get me started with all this freeride crap where you take a lift to the top and coast all the way down.

As for the "bouncy", that's another reason I switched. No amount of technology or advances can overcome the problems associated with a full suspension rig and the dreaded bob without weight being an issue. Road bikes are so much simpler, just throw a leg over and go. Now I'm just waiting for someone to drop the engine from a CR250 and throw it downhill.

I'd still like to get out there and bash some rocks every now and then though.

Last edited:
I enjoy both roadbiking and mountain biking - each has its own appeal. The terrain in mountain biking adds a dynamic element that pavement doesn't have. For me, that element makes it fun - carving berms on flowing singletrack, or weaving through the trees at speed. I have a good time with it.

Since I live in Berkeley, I log a lot of miles on the roadbike. Total mileage is split around 50/50 between road and trail for me. I'm not big on fireroads, which is pretty much the only legal trail riding here in the East Bay - I'd much rather ride the roadbike in these parts.

Either way, I've got the Downieville XC race and the Napa Century to look forward to, as well as all kinds of weekend rides. It'll be a good summer :)

Yeah, a mountain bike is certainly more versatile. You can ride it on the road and just peel off into the dirt.

I don't know where everyone mountain bikes nowadays but Santa Cruz was lot's of fun for me. Dodging Redwoods on singletrack was both fun and hair-raising.

I didn't know you did "tri's". I sent an email to zx6roxy (see above). Let me know if you would like me to forward you the information. Maybe you could send me some info on the Napa Century?

cheezy said:
As for the "bouncy", that's another reason I switched. No amount of technology or advances can overcome the problems associated with a full suspension rig and the dreaded bob without weight being an issue.

Feh. :hand

I-Drive! :kicknuts

1180339-bike.jpg

Back