• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

I ride road bike. I did the aids lifecycle last year. I haven't been riding much. PM me if you want to ride.

I'm serious. I don't want to bother riding my Fuji Absolute on the ride again. I don't want numb fingers or sore shoulders. It's a great urban bomber but I feel like I need a proper road bike for the ALC. I also strongly prefer to buy something from my regular bike shop because I'm loyal like that.

I'm serious. I don't want to bother riding my Fuji Absolute on the ride again. I don't want numb fingers or sore shoulders. It's a great urban bomber but I feel like I need a proper road bike for the ALC. I also strongly prefer to buy something from my regular bike shop because I'm loyal like that.

You should only hate your Fuji if you think it's slow or you don't like how something works on it.. It still shouldn't hurt anywhere. If you don't change whatever make you hurt then your new bike could be stupid fast and climb the biggest hills but would still hurt like the Fuji after 45 mns.
Have you told that bike shop your'e loyal to that you hurt? Did they do anything about it?

Last edited:
Do people here use a compact? My bike is setup with a compact and it makes hills...challenging. Although I must say it adds to the determination factor when you see your buddies pedaling with ease in a super easy gear while you're trying to not fall over.

Do you mean your bike has a standard and your thinking of getting a compact? Compacts make your gearing much lower. Some people even put on a mountain cassette and rear der. Something like 34 tooth and XTR would work. SRAM pretty much cam out with a new road line called APEX. It's a mountain drivetrain but marketed for road use so you won't feel shame. Says "road" on the box or something. Bikings not so much about bodybuilder leg stregnth and mashing the pedals. If you learn to spin the pedals instead of fighting the bike hills become much much much easier. YMMV

Last edited:
Or are you talking about triple vs. compact? I went from a triple to a compact at the end of last year. It's hard to compare apples to apples, as the compact is on a lighter bike with better components overall (I know, I have low standards), but it made me way faster on hills; the first ride or two was a rude awakening, but I quickly learned to just carry the speed better.

oh yeah, triples just really suck. Everything about how they work suck. This shifters suck, the front shifting sucks, the rear shifting sucks, and it's harder for normal folks to keep it in perfect tune. If you gotta give up go to compact. Never ever buy a triple.

You could actually get the tallest gear similar to a standard by using a 9,10, or 11 rear cog. But you just get that one gear that you hardly ever use. You still sacrifice good gear spacing.

You should only hate your Fuji if you think it's slow or you don't like how something works on it.. It still shouldn't hurt anywhere. If you don't change whatever make you hurt then your new bike could be stupid fast and climb the biggest hills but would still hurt like the Fuji after 45 mns.
Have you told that bike shop your'e loyal to that you hurt? Did they do anything about it?

The Fuji has a triple which needs a lot of adjustment but which I love for gear 27- I can REALLY haul butt with that gear. I think perhaps with a new stem it could be more comfortable. The other thing is that it's a flat bar bike which limits the number of hand positions. Because it comes with grip shifts there are not a lot of options for handle bars.

I mentioned today that I'm not loving the bike because of the numbness (for the first time, I didn't buy the bike there) and they asked if I'd had it fitted. I don't know how much a fitting would help. That's why I'm thinking a new bike might work better.

Cross chaining with compact is an issue. What I found is I am usually in big/big (or near it).

oh yeah, triples just really suck. Everything about how they work suck. This shifters suck, the front shifting sucks, the rear shifting sucks, and it's harder for normal folks to keep it in perfect tune. If you gotta give up go to compact. Never ever buy a triple.

You could actually get the tallest gear similar to a standard by using a 9,10, or 11 rear cog. But you just get that one gear that you hardly ever use. You still sacrifice good gear spacing.

My triple is constantly out of whack. I want you to learn me bicycles and I'll get you some lunch. :)

What's a triple?... :rofl

Oh it's a city bike! If you wanted more hand positions, you could get mountain bike bar ends, and tilt them at 90 degrees forward, making them like little bullhorns...

But you would be more comfortable on a roadbike. They can get quite expensive though. If you do not plan on hauling a trailer, or ride a loaded touring bike through the mountains, you should stick with a compact double (50/34) Or if you're strong and have young knees, you could get away with a 53/39 double (standard)

Also, try some specialized gloves, they use padding to eliminate the nerves in your hand from getting bashed and causing not only numbness, but perminate damage.

On a side note, my colnago is almost built (not that anyone knows me) but I'm excited to ride something appropriate for being injured. I figured anything Italian and expensive; Ducati, Ferrari, Colnago etc... Would appropriate to ride to Starbucks once a week :p

Last edited:
Hi Maurice! I went riding on the "road" bike yesterday. It hurts my shoulders and my neck. It also puts a lot of pressure on my, erm, seat-type area. :blush I realized that new handlebars and a new stem would likely solve a lot of problems including the seat issue. I'll snap a picture of my bike and throw it on here so you can see it.

I've been wearing gloves for years.

My current thinking is to set up my existing "road" bike for more randoneurring with the addition of new handle bars and stem. I may buy a new one road bike. I believe TAKS is going to share some advice with me and I'm waiting for his input.

I'm not sure it's worth a lot of money to upgrade and change my $500 Fuji Absolute into a better road bike but it will make a fab hauler once I make the changes I mentioned above. It has some upgrades that I've added (Selle italia seat, Mavic Open Pro 32 spoke wheelset, SRAM rear cassette, better pedals). I may like it well enough to do another LifeCycle on it once I resolve these nagging issues. I like a more upright position which I know is not really the position I'm supposed to be in on a road bike.

I'm interested in the Surly bikes that run about $1300. I don't feel the need to buy a super expensive bike. I just want something comfortable for the AIDS ride and my touring.

Last edited:
Just sounds like you need to get fitted. New handlebars might not even be necessary, just different stem, and seat adjusted. Depending how out of wack the frame size is, and position of the saddle after adjustment, might need a new seat post.

Just sounds like you need to get fitted. New handlebars might not even be necessary, just different stem, and seat adjusted. Depending how out of wack the frame size is, and position of the saddle after adjustment, might need a new seat post.

IT would be cool if that's all I need. I actually put the stupid stem on my bike when I was strictly city riding and now I super hate it.

:x

Just sounds like you need to get fitted.

+1 The first time I got fitted, it made such a difference. It wasn't even a terribly high-tech professional fitment, either, but it did wonders for my comfort and my ability to get power to the pedals. There's a fair amount of adjustment that can be done even without changing parts.

In a similar position, I did keep my own heavy Fuji, with some investment into the fitment, while also saving up for (and eventually getting) a blingy carbon bike. I like having the option of a bike I can pop the luggage on and just cruise/commute on, as well as the more agro road bike.

I found that I had to play with seats and pads a bit to get a setup that worked for my cooch. Going firmer with both the seat gel and the shorts pad - and narrower with the seat - actually helped greatly. It took a little investment, but I finally have a century-able setup that doesn't make my genitals hate me.

+1 The first time I got fitted, it made such a difference. It wasn't even a terribly high-tech professional fitment, either, but it did wonders for my comfort and my ability to get power to the pedals. There's a fair amount of adjustment that can be done even without changing parts.

In a similar position, I did keep my own heavy Fuji, with some investment into the fitment, while also saving up for (and eventually getting) a blingy carbon bike. I like having the option of a bike I can pop the luggage on and just cruise/commute on, as well as the more agro road bike.

I found that I had to play with seats and pads a bit to get a setup that worked for my cooch. Going firmer with both the seat gel and the shorts pad - and narrower with the seat - actually helped greatly. It took a little investment, but I finally have a century-able setup that doesn't make my genitals hate me.

I can't even explain how much I love you after reading this. I laughed my ass off while relating completely. I don't even wanna tell you what happened to my cooter on day five of the AIDS ride. Blisters are NOT supposed to form there! :cry :x

NOTE TO SELF:

Extra fabric in bike shorts is the enemy. Do NOT be a cheapskate and wear your old shorts from when you were 50lbs heavier.

Well if you want to give fitting a shot, I would personally recommend WholeAthlete in Marin. Dario is like damn wizard when it comes to it. I have pretty messed up right knee, and after he got me fitted to my first road bike I went from limping after long rides, to doing much longer and more intense rides without any issues.

Back