• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

I'm in the Richmond. Since I'm still a noob to the whole road biking scene, I'm pretty slow. I need to find more time to ride and build my stamina

I'm in the Richmond. Since I'm still a noob to the whole road biking scene, I'm pretty slow. I need to find more time to ride and build my stamina

Well get to it. Lemme know if you ever want to go out for a spin! I can ride my three speed. :party

Most bikes are good/bad.... Cant judge them by brand name anymore. But yeah, a steal Lemond doesn't really fall into the "all bikes are the same" catagory.

Are you asking about a Lemond Zurich? I think those were the only ones that came with ultegra. A tourmalet or something was the same frame but with 105 or tiagra or sumfin. Zurichs are terrific. Nice springy steel frame. Reynolds 853 I think. Pass if it has rust or dents. Jump on it if it's like new. Uletgra 9 speed is fine but if it's been used the 9 speed shifters might feel sloppy. New 10 speeds are much nicer than new 9 speeds. They feel more crisp and precise.

I would jump on a mint Reynolds 853 frame/complete bike at a good price. I'm always on the prowl for one.

If it's cheap just get it. The wheels that came on it werent that great and whatevers on there now wont be that great. Get it for cheap and swap out parts as you find them for a good price. Remember that it's 10 years old now so even if its shiny and pretty itll still be sloppy and most likley need new bearings everywhere to feel nice again.
Get it if your looking for a quality steel frame that rides nice. Pass if your looking for the fastest, easiest climbing, lightest bike. You can find something faster and easier to ride in all conditions then that bike.

I wouldn't pay more than $600 for a MINT steel 9 speed Zurich. No more than $250 for a MINT frame and fork.
Personally I don't buy high end steel with dents or rust...it kinda defeats the purpose of having a nice steel frame.
To me that 9 speed and wheelset are junk. I'd strip it, sell that crap, and put a ten speed group on it.

Check for rust EVERYWHERE...check for little bubbles under the paint, get a flashlight and check inside the tubes. Little places too like bottom braket, head, etc.....where ever water can get in.

A nice light steel frame only rides nice if it's like new. Once you start grinding off rust, welding cracks, and repainting it loses a lot of its quality and rides like a shitty chro-mo Surly, SOMA, Fuji, fixie, etc....they're all the same really.

Last edited:
$500 is good. The pretty blue and yellow model is really pretty though. That grey and ugly blue is a little ugly but still prettier than ugly red and black.
Prices on those depand on who's looking. $750 is too much for me but if a dudes been looking for that lemond for 7 months he'll jump on it. It's a little niche model. Not many people want it but the few that do...really do.

$900 for a 10 yr old steel 9 speed Lemond is just too much....

Last edited:
Would it be considered a collectors bike? Handmade in usa and the lemond brand is gone as of 2008

Not really... Probably won't ever be in your lifetime. Just a cool piece of bike history. Even real collectors bikes.....super fancy 50's to 70's, italian high end steel, in like new shape, arn't selling for too much now.

This is just nice riding, slightly undervalued, steel frame with junky components.
Triples suck BTW. I'd strip that thing immidietly and put stuff that I like on.

Back