• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Would anybody be interested??? in a brand new, never used:

Ritchey WCS Carbon Tubular (50mm deep) wheelset (Shimano freehub body)
+ Continental Sprinter Gatorskin tubular tires (never glued/used)
+ Continental tire cement (3 brand new tubes)
+ Carbon cork brake pads (front/rear)
+ Front/Rear Ti skewers

$1400 OBO.

Last edited:
If you have a tight budget that you want to stick with, take into account that even though the bike is mostly assembled from bikesdirect, its really poorly assembled. You kinda have to take most of it apart and put it back together.....so budget for that or get comfy with youtube instructions.

Not super set on the budget, but I wouldn't want to go much over 500 bucks.

I'm fine going through a bike and checking or retightening etc.

Go to trek and look at the FX line. Decent fitness / commute bike. Run about 500 for the mid level one. Used maybe 300 for a clean one

I'll check them out.

nashbar.com sells bikes likes this. They have a super sale every few days like Cycle Gear. Usually you can find a better bike for the same money than bikesdirect.

Small. 5'7, 30" inseam.

teh google tells me that bike is like 10 bucks off retail though, so... nah.

I might look at the Dew Plus at the bike shop tomorrow.

Most of these $400 hybrids are all the same. They have VERY similar parts.....lotsa times the exact same parts Many of the frames are exactly the same with different brand stickers. They all come off the same assembly line and go to different sticker girls.
Get the cheapest 7 or 8 speed aluminum one in good shape you can find. If you buy a bikesdirect brand like motobecane or something just remember they're pretty worthless second hand. It would be much easier selling a used Trek or whatever your favorite name is once you're done with it. Not saying bikesdirect is garbage for what you want but remember that it'll be way harder to sell later.

If you wanna go above $350 used you can find some really good stuff. Much nicer bikes with low end road bike parts. Does everything a cheap new hybrid does but way easier and faster and smoother. I'd take an older 9 speed shimano 105 aluminum bike over a new hybrid any day....no question. Way better at getting to Caltrain or the gym but gives me the option of riding 30 miles if I feel like it.
Rough guess but you might need a 51-53cm bike at 5'7....no clue, just a guess.

Last edited:
There is soooooooo much used stuff out there it's hard to say what brand/model to look for.
A few pages ago a guy bought a 9 speed clean Lemond for $650 (I think).
Well that bike carries like a $300 premium cuz it's a steel Lemond. A normal cheapy aluminum 9 speed from the same year would be $300-$400 now.
Used bikes are great cuz lotsa times people ride them for two weekends and then keep them in the garage for 5 yrs.
Don't worry too much about brand name. You can certainly get an excellent conditon 9 speed bike in your size for under $500. Gotta check for stuff like busted hubs and bottom brackets and cracked frames. Cheap to fix at home but could add up very quickly at a shop.

If you don't smash it you can get your $500 back when you're done with it.

I look for used stuff all the time on CL. Since so much exists I really just put in a price max and one word description that I know will show up in the post somewhere.

For complete frames (or bikes in your case) I just put in the size. I ride a 59 top tube but different companies size their stuff differently.
So one at a time I would do

59cm
60cm
61cm
62cm

I'd normally put like a $250 price MIN. so it weeds out the thousands of junk items I'm not looking for.

Try that approach with a just 51-55cm variations in the search box. with a price max of $800. (You can talk people down to what you wanna pay. Remember the buyer wants their junk but they want to get rid of their junk much more than you want it.)
Post a link here if you want a second opinion.

Last edited:
that sirrius looks look a good deal. The Allez my be more sporty than your looking for. Thats just a traditional road bike.

I got a few nice racks laying around.

Another cool fitness / commute bike would be a BUZZ. Its a hybrbid and the newer ones have disk brakes.

All those choices are a much better than a new hybrid.
The one hundred and fifty four cm might be a tad long.
The first sounds good cuz it's cheap and still way better than any hybrid you linked.

Minor thing. Super low level road parts like Sora and Acera are waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy lower than 105, ultegra, Dura Ace............but still waaaaaaaaay better than freewheel 6-8 speed cheap junk on hybrids.

Get something good and cheap thats close. Ride it for 4 months to figure out what you like and dont like about. Figure out what you like and don't like about the size you got.....and maybe learn more about sizeing/fitting.
If it's good for you keep it. If not, get all your money back and buy something else with all your new priceless knowledge.

From your ten minutes of effort I'd go with the first Specialized for $250. Should be more than good enough for what you wanna do.

The $500 bikes are too expensive for what you get. Talk em down to $320.
When people spell the name of their parts wrong or simply name things incorrectly you can assume that you'll have to spend 40 minutes tuning it up and fixing everything they neglected. Usually cheap and easy at home but something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
I'll check out the Sirrus.

The Kona Dew looks cool though :x

Back