• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

You should. I like mine so much my friend decided to go check out their bikes... and he bought one. I have no complaints about the quality of the bike whatsoever.

Fecking cold and wet and windy this morning.

icmnmt.jpg

The descent down my side is great - gentle turns, big shoulder. I got that nice dirt line all the way up my butt and back.

Tangentially, I can't wait until the mainsteram bike companies start offering disc brakes on decent roadbikes. That's the only thing I miss about my Jango. I hate dicking with rim brakes, I'm hardly motivted to upgrade my wheels when they're a wear item, and the feel is so much better. :p

The descent down my side is great - gentle turns, big shoulder. I got that nice dirt line all the way up my butt and back.

Tangentially, I can't wait until the mainsteram bike companies start offering disc brakes on decent roadbikes. That's the only thing I miss about my Jango. I hate dicking with rim brakes, I'm hardly motivted to upgrade my wheels when they're a wear item, and the feel is so much better. :p

Good rim calipers and pads are amazing and work flawlessly with no issues ever. Do you have some cheap Tektro junk on that bike? That'll make it super suck. All the pro homo's use use normal rim brakes and go super duper fast 5 hours/day without dying or adjusting stuff. Do yours just not slow down? Always move to oine side? Caliper don't release right?
Only issue might be carbon rims flying down a hill in pouring rain but even those are pretty good now.
I prefer Ultegra or DA calipers but Campy stuff is good too. Stay away from any of those after market super light $600 garbage calipers.

Disk brakes are just wrong. You can get a pass on the retard guard and the dildo's up front but putting disk brakes on is.....silly.

Last edited:
Yeah, but they need every bit of weight loss and areo. I can sacrifice a few grams for convenience and comfort. My right thigh already weighs more than Andy Schleck.

FFS I got fancy calipers you can try. They're awesome. If you think they suck at least you'll be certain that you need to buy disk brakes or a parachute or whatever you want.

Send me an email, let me know how much. Otherwise, I'm mounting a jet engine backwards on my handlebars.

(On second thought, maybe I won't. Montoya will crash into it.)

Will do tonight. Gotta see what I've got. Brand new and like new Ultegra 6700 for sure and other stuff too.
Good to see that you've downsized your strap on collection.

i hate you guys. with all yer bikes and stuff.

^^^brah I got hella 59-60 bikes. It'll be good enough for you. Once it starts to hurt after 4 miles just put it for sale like that Kona guy.

thats what sucks. there are approximately 878723486328765294 different choices.

information overload.

thats what sucks. there are approximately 878723486328765294 different choices.

information overload.

Yeah thats super true. Way too much different stuff to know. Super easy......once you know it, but really hard and WTF if you don't.

Just worry about size for your first cheap bike. All that other stuff comes later. Not gonna get to be too choosey under $500 anyway.

Good rim calipers and pads are amazing and work flawlessly with no issues ever. Do you have some cheap Tektro junk on that bike? That'll make it super suck. All the pro homo's use use normal rim brakes and go super duper fast 5 hours/day without dying or adjusting stuff. Do yours just not slow down? Always move to oine side? Caliper don't release right?
Only issue might be carbon rims flying down a hill in pouring rain but even those are pretty good now.
I prefer Ultegra or DA calipers but Campy stuff is good too. Stay away from any of those after market super light $600 garbage calipers.

Disk brakes are just wrong. You can get a pass on the retard guard and the dildo's up front but putting disk brakes on is.....silly.

I'll second this. I had some no-name brakes on my first bike and then bought a used bike with older 7800 Dura Ace calipers and I've never thought to myself "I need better brakes".

I put some cheaper brakes on my wife's bike and they work way worse.

Just worry about size for your first cheap bike. All that other stuff comes later. Not gonna get to be too choosey under $500 anyway.

Yea, my $500 aluminum bike is perfectly adequate. And that's the one I should be riding in the rain, having fenders and all, but it wasn't raining when I left! By the time I hit Hillside, it was pouring. :(

Yea, my $500 aluminum bike is perfectly adequate. And that's the one I should be riding in the rain, having fenders and all, but it wasn't raining when I left! By the time I hit Hillside, it was pouring. :(

:laughing I ride my fanciest bike rain or shine. Never understood why folks choose their shittier bike for the rain......unless you're almost certain you'll crash or soemthing.

Back