• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

haha Sorry POS.

Classic bikes are cool. All old Centurians would be worthless junk though.
It gets iffy and some people get ripped off really bad when they buy "classic" Schwinns or European road bikes.

Side note: I missed out on a super killer price for a real classic recently. Owner said he unfortunately under priced it and already had 40 emails from assholes all over the country before mine.

Last edited:
If your commute if relatively flat nothing beats single speed/fixie with panniers, and fenders.

Finally ventured through Calaveras Rd this morning. I had been weary of it--and any other climb--simply because I feel I have nearly zero climbing ability, and my bike commute is pretty much flat. I took it southbound from Sunol, so I ventured north starting in San Jose via Piedmont Rd, Warm Springs, Mission Blvd, then Niles Canyon. I actually had more fun on Calaveras with the bike, than in the motorcycle.

Finally ventured through Calaveras Rd this morning. I had been weary of it--and any other climb--simply because I feel I have nearly zero climbing ability, and my bike commute is pretty much flat. I took it southbound from Sunol, so I ventured north starting in San Jose via Piedmont Rd, Warm Springs, Mission Blvd, then Niles Canyon. I actually had more fun on Calaveras with the bike, than in the motorcycle.

I was never worried about the hills on Calaveras.

But the blind turns scare the fuck out of me. About 6 years ago, I went head-on with a truck out there on a descent, and by the grace of something I flew over his hood instead of into the grill. Wadded up my bike, sprained my neck, and seriously crimped my training for race season.

Ride safe. :)

I was never worried about the hills on Calaveras.

But the blind turns scare the fuck out of me. About 6 years ago, I went head-on with a truck out there on a descent, and by the grace of something I flew over his hood instead of into the grill. Wadded up my bike, sprained my neck, and seriously crimped my training for race season.

Ride safe. :)

My biggest fear when doing repeats on Kings. Had few close calls where I barely managed to avoid some idiot, not gender specific, passing on blind corner in a small tank of a vehicles complete in other lane.

haha everything seems right about it. He bought the wrong thing and rode it and now wants to sell it.
I'm 6'5 and that 60 is my size.....maybe a hair too big according to Kona's geometry chart. I'd probably get that one and put a 120 stem for me. It's way too super duper huge for you.

yea that was my point, 60cm is too big for someone small like me

would rather just get a cheap single speed and switch out the rear freewheel sprocket to a larger size for hill climbs... http://www.bikebuyers.com/rd-269-rs.htm ..probably about $25 to get larger rear freewheel sprocket....

this is one of my custom builds...i've commuted san jose to burlingame on her....and, i've done san francisco, over golden gate bridge, paradise loop, to tiburon, back to sausalito, climb back up to golden gate bridge and back to san francisco...60-mile loops on her....although my friends in road bikes hate it when i bring my single speed out on rides with them..

l.jpg

Looking for something to commute on and maybe do some miles here and there as additional fitness training and stuff.

I think I'm fairly well set on the Motobecane Cafe Latte, unless someone has a better suggestion?

Last edited:
I love my three speed. :x

MikeV, go check the public bikes. I have really, really enjoyed mine.

Back