• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Everyone's quiet. I've been riding too much in this weather. Did a ridiculously counterproductive super hard 5 hour day on Sunday. Dead on Monday. Rode too hard today. Will probably be super slow this weekend:laughing

Shame on you kickstand! 1.5 hour recovery rides every day, stretching and a foam roller might get you back by the weekend.

Wondering if anyone could help out a newbie. Im looking at bikes on CL but I have no idea what the F im doing. I saw these 2 bikes. Granted one is pink and im less then thrilled but its on the cheap. This is the comparison of the 2 bikes. I dont know components and what not. So alil insight would be GREATLY appreicated! Also Im 5'5" with long legs. The Trek 2.1 is asking for 1K Id offer 800. The trek 2200 is asking 650.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Side2Side.aspx?BikeIDs=11117b+11246b

just saw another one just now. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/2955066978.html

HELP! :p

Last edited:
I actually did that a while ago. If im not mistaken the rough estimate was between a 52-53. Would a 54 be pushing it that much? Looking at the specs they dont even offer those sizes. The treks are 51, 54 the other 50, 54. The cannondale is the same 51-54

Confusing.

Find out what the Effective Top Tube legnth is. That's pretty much the most important number for you.
Who ever fit you a while ago should've given you that ETT number.

It was just a at home measurement thing from the above website. He wasnt a cyclist I just needed someone to hold the measuring tape.

Which meansurement would that be?

It's the imaginary straight line distance from the head tube to the seat tube. You figure out what that number should be for while getting properly fitted. Its the part of the bike that has very little room for adjustment. The rest of the numbers and measurments that matter to you have plenty of room.

Imma guess that you'll be a "size" 50 to 51 from lotsa brands. That's just a starting point....and I could be wrong. If you plan on riding and spending over $300 on a bike you owe it to yourself to have someone who knows what they're doing fit you. It makes all the difference.

I have a few bikes. They are sized anywhere from a 58 to a 62. They all have a 59-60 Effective Top Tube legnth.
(haha ok so there are angles that also matter and will change the Effective part, but you really don't need to worry about that now)

Last edited:
Hmmmm ok. Its all so confusing. My BF has a 54 sized bike and it would seem like it fits me well. But who knows.

I sat on a 52 last night when I went to my local bike shop. It was for a fuji. Figured I could probably get a better bike for less if I looked on CL. unfortunately its alot harder to do when I dont know anything about it.

They'll all feel the same if you dunno whats going on. The difference in a bike for a 5 ft person and a 6'7 person is a only about 12 cm. You won't feel that diff at the store.

Imma be honest with ya. No matter what everyone will tell you here on line, you still won't really understand whats going on and what you should be looking for. Get a someone who knows what they're doing to fit you and explain to you whats going on.

If one bike "feels" better at a store than another its only cuz by chance it was assembled differently.

Last edited:
I appreciate the advice TAK. The bike shop down the street from my place seems to be like an awesome little shop. Perhaps ill check them out. :thumbup

Saw someone on one of those elliptical type bikes near the top of Kings. Damn! Huge props for getting to the top of that climb on that thing. I have no idea how they will get down. I don't think you can free coast on those things.

^^^ :laughing I saw a guy on one of those three wheel recumbents going up Tunitas last year. Dude had UniMog gearing on it. I swear he was doing 2mph and spinning at 120rpm.
It was a pain to pass him. He took up the entire roadand when there was an open spot he slowed to like 0.5 mph. I cant spin my pedals that slowly going up such a steep hill. Almost plopped over on to him.

Dont judge me too harshly. I bought this off of CL brand new never been owned. I was even able to register it on Jamis and get the warranty. It came with SPD pedals, I took off that plastic flat pedal from it.

Sounds like I will have to invest on some better wheels to make it a bit lighter. And do a few tweeks. I havent really taken it out for a spin yet. Just around the block a few times to test ride it.

Attachments

• Jamis.jpg
    Jamis.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 93
Before bling bling, or just bling, wheels, I would recommend investing in to a fit, saddlebag with all necessary tools to fix a flat. :)

Before bling bling, or just bling, wheels, I would recommend investing in to a fit, saddlebag with all necessary tools to fix a flat. :)

Done. :) I got a bag and am starting the process of filling it with emergency road stuffs. :) Bought all my gear as well

Im not jumping into buy wheels just yet. A friend of my BF works for Easton so I may be able to get a deal.

I looked at carbon water bottle holders. 50$ a piece! ouch.

Done. :) I got a bag and am starting the process of filling it with emergency road stuffs. :) Bought all my gear as well

Im not jumping into buy wheels just yet. A friend of my BF works for Easton so I may be able to get a deal.

I looked at carbon water bottle holders. 50$ a piece! ouch.

The bottle holders for $1.99 at sports basement will do the same thing and you (or I) won't notice the difference. :p

I put heavier wheels (like 200g+ heavier) that were stronger on my wife's bike because she is good at hitting potholes. She didn't notice the difference at all.

On a side note I've been riding my bicycle a lot more lately and been having so much fun that I haven't ridden any of my motorcycles more than to the store and back. :|

Yep, I have a plastic bottle cage that, according to the specs, weigh a bit more than the carbon cages on someone else's bike at home, but if you bounce them in your hands, the difference is laughable for the cost.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on bling rims - I ride on real roads...

Yep, I have a plastic bottle cage that, according to the specs, weigh a bit more than the carbon cages on someone else's bike at home, but if you bounce them in your hands, the difference is laughable for the cost.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on bling rims - I ride on real roads...

fred_flinstone_bicycle.png

We should ride.
The_American_Velocipede.jpg

:laughing

Back