• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

I did 3 times around the lake :laughing Trying to build up some sustained stamina. My legs feel fine my shoulders though for watever reason are sore. :confused

I went by myself. Going around in circles is kinda boring cause I know exactly how far I am from home. I think I could go WAY farther for WAY longer if we took off somewhere without any kind of real idea where we are going. :dunno

Do you guys recommend those cyclometers? They tell you how far youve ridden right?

Do you guys recommend those cyclometers?

For some reason, I read this in Mr. Burns's voice - "Tell me, Smithers, about these newfangled cyclometers."

I had a Cateye for a while - it did distance, speed, and cadence. I found the cadence invaluable.

But now I'm a Garmin fangirl. M'boy has the Edge; I have the Forerunner, since I use it for running, too (started with the 305, got the 910XT to try to get my swimming in some sort of order). I like having speed, cadence, and heart rate immediately at hand, and I like being able to track my riding/running and being able to set goals and work to meet them.

I use Strava; Garmin Connect looks useful, too.

Do you guys recommend those cyclometers? They tell you how far youve ridden right?

You can get a basic wired one that does distance, speed and av speed for about $20 (I like the sigma because it's simple and has a large readout). I bought one of those when I first started riding a little while ago and it was great for knowing how far I had gone and how fast I was going, average speed was nice because it let me know I was improving on the same route.

I bought a bike that came with a fancier one with cadence and a HR monitor which is nice to have but if you're just starting I'd just grab a cheap one and if you really get into it you can buy a super fancy one later.

I was thinking of getting the garmin 500 one with GPS just because it seems like a fun way to easily keep track of where I've gone/how long it takes and it also estimates elevation.

When I first started I just chose a spot like a corner store 3-4 miles away and went there and back and struggled the whole way, I don't know if I could ride in circles, I'd get bored too easily I think. :p

Why the hell it's so hard to find good review on tubular tires, or one in stock at local shop. :(

What do you need to know. Roadbikereview should have a few to compare.

What are you looking to do on them?

What do you need to know. Roadbikereview should have a few to compare.

What are you looking to do on them?

Primarily criteriums, with some Road Races.

I want something reliable, doesn't loose air too fast, no sudden punctures/pressure loss, that handles well in the corners.

Only review I found so far was for Vittoria Corsa Evo CX on Roadbikereview. That tire sounds down right scary with how unreliable it is. :wtf

For some reason, I read this in Mr. Burns's voice - "Tell me, Smithers, about these newfangled cyclometers."

I had a Cateye for a while - it did distance, speed, and cadence. I found the cadence invaluable.

But now I'm a Garmin fangirl. M'boy has the Edge; I have the Forerunner, since I use it for running, too (started with the 305, got the 910XT to try to get my swimming in some sort of order). I like having speed, cadence, and heart rate immediately at hand, and I like being able to track my riding/running and being able to set goals and work to meet them.

I use Strava; Garmin Connect looks useful, too.

You can get a basic wired one that does distance, speed and av speed for about $20 (I like the sigma because it's simple and has a large readout). I bought one of those when I first started riding a little while ago and it was great for knowing how far I had gone and how fast I was going, average speed was nice because it let me know I was improving on the same route.

I bought a bike that came with a fancier one with cadence and a HR monitor which is nice to have but if you're just starting I'd just grab a cheap one and if you really get into it you can buy a super fancy one later.

I was thinking of getting the garmin 500 one with GPS just because it seems like a fun way to easily keep track of where I've gone/how long it takes and it also estimates elevation.

When I first started I just chose a spot like a corner store 3-4 miles away and went there and back and struggled the whole way, I don't know if I could ride in circles, I'd get bored too easily I think. :p

Thanks guys. I just need cheap and basic. Yes going around the lake is kinda boring but I also know how far ive gone and for how long. Thinking with a cheap cyclometer it would give me a good idea how far and how fast im traveling. I want to go out and cycle not just go around town. I look inot the ones you gus suggested. So far Im really digging it. :)

I still have my Cateye and the sensors in the bike box, if you want to buy it cheaper than new. This one; I found the cadence very useful.

If you have an Android phone, you can download the Strava app and try it out. I used that as a gateway drug before going to Garmin. :p

M'boy used to live in Oakland, and the riding around there is great - you can get a fun variety of climbing and some awesome views by rolling right from your door.

I like cheaper dont care if its new or not :) I dont have an adroid I have a stupid Iphone :|

Also any routes that you know of around the Oakland, lake merritt area? I live Right off the 580 exit for Lake shore. Id like to go explore on the bike I just have no idea where to go.

Why the hell it's so hard to find good review on tubular tires, or one in stock at local shop. :(

I'm a huge fan of Tufo's cuz they're super amazing and you can use tape!!! I'm not sure but maybe someone else makes tubulars now with a flat surface. You can use tape on those too. You, I mean it's possible, to tape on normal curvy tubalars and rail at full speed without any issues but it's a no no. A buncha dudes and I have had perfect 100% luck but every instruction pamphlet and message board will say that you'll die, so it's not recommended or something like that.
(some events and tracks don't let you use tape for some retarded reason but they have no issues of folks incorrectly glued tires coming undone at 45mph and putting 10 guys in the hospital)
Honestly most tubular's perform about the same so long as the tpi is high. Even more top secret honesty is that Vredestein clinchers on good wheels perform the same as good tubulars. No one stocks em cuz dudes are super specific in what they want, they're expensive, and those dudes who are in the know enough to want tubulars always buy them online for half price.

Kim get a computer with cadence. Cadence is by far the most important thingy and really the only one that matters (until you get into power meters....and even then most people should really worry about cadence:laughing). Speed and time in Tokyo and twenty trip meters and false temperature and all those other 14 features don't matter in practice. I have a brand new in box Sigma double wireless I don't need and will sell cheap to any BARF.

Double wireless is great until you get into huge frames. Sometimes it'll not read once in a while from the rear wheel or crank cuz the distance is too far. Usually a non issue but it does happen. It won't be an issue on that cute Jamis. Wired is cheaper but you gotta be careful how you tape wire. If you leave the tape on and don't replace/clean the taped area, the clear coat on carbon starts to come up and haze a little. Not technically an issue but it's ugly and takes away from resale value of the frame.

Imma totally get 800gm wheels soon.....but only cuz I'm getting a bit fatter and slower every year. Effectively the reasoning is good I think.

Last edited:
I pulled it out - speed, cadence, distance, clock, and... blood type or something like that. :p It's set up for 700c wheels. $20.

34o3ll0.jpg

One ride in Oakland I really enjoyed was to take side streets from Lakeshore to Park, up Park, cross over Highway 13, and just past 13, take the pedestrian entrance on the right to Butters Lane (almost no cars), and it goes to Skyline; take a right on Skyline and do Redwood Road. It's a lot if you're just starting, but you can do bits of it and work your way up.

Cadence is by far the most important thingy

Quit with all of the technical language!

I'm a huge fan of Tufo's cuz they're super amazing and you can use tape!!! I'm not sure but maybe someone else makes tubulars now with a flat surface. You can use tape on those too. You, I mean it's possible, to tape on normal curvy tubalars and rail at full speed without any issues but it's a no no. A buncha dudes and I have had perfect 100% luck but every instruction pamphlet and message board will say that you'll die, so it's not recommended or something like that.
(some events and tracks don't let you use tape for some retarded reason but they have no issues of folks incorrectly glued tires coming undone at 45mph and putting 10 guys in the hospital)
Honestly most tubular's perform about the same so long as the tpi is high. Even more top secret honesty is that Vredestein clinchers on good wheels perform the same as good tubulars. No one stocks em cuz dudes are super specific in what they want, they're expensive, and those dudes who are in the know enough to want tubulars always buy them online for half price.

Yeah I have been using tufo extreme tap with continental tires. Haven't died yet. Maybe I will get one of tufo tubulars. The Competition Conti just didn't feel all that planted on corners.

I really want to try Specialized tubular, but can't find any reviews on it, and not sure it will work with tufo extreme tape.

I really want to try Specialized tubular, but can't find any reviews on it, and not sure it will work with tufo extreme tape.

Dig a little deeper. Betcha someone else makes em and Specialized sticks their name on. If Specialized is still using their business moto of the past then it should be top end tire. A while back they "made" some super killer glasses. They were too expensive for the normal brah and snobby brah wasn't gonna drop $300 on frames that said Specialized on them no matter how amazing they were.

Dig a little deeper. Betcha someone else makes em and Specialized sticks their name on. If Specialized is still using their business moto of the past then it should be top end tire. A while back they "made" some super killer glasses. They were too expensive for the normal brah and snobby brah wasn't gonna drop $300 on frames that said Specialized on them no matter how amazing they were.

Eh How do I find out? Only reason I am looking at specialized tubular is I happened to get their Clincher and love it.

Vittoria makes the specialized, in fact I have a pair sitting in my closet. They may have changed them since last year when I got them, but they're probably still made by vittoria.

I do not use tape! I've seen a tire come off... In front of me... In the middle of a crit. I glue all my tires and never had a problem road or track, just check to make sure they're not dried out.

I've only used tufo's on a training bike, but have heard many things about how crappy they roll. I like vittorias because they're super easy to get them on a rim! All the different ones ice ridden from them had no problems and good wear. The smooth ones (cant remember the name) are the ones specialized uses, they grip really well in dry conditions and would probably make the best crit racers.
Conti makes Good tyres, the podiums I ran never flatted and lasted quite awhile, though they would be a bit on the small side for a bumpy crit or circuit race. The sprinters are super sticky and roll great! But they wear quicker (downside of being soft) and can puncture easily, but the newer ones are suppose to be better.
I have one gp4000 from them, it runs great but it didn't like it on the wooden track... It has an odd lip and the edges of the rubber had hardened a bit.

Yeah the specialized clincher is going to be a different tire, the clinchers I have from them are really damn sticky! And I didn't hear anything bad about the tubulars from any team mates, so I assume they're good.

I saw glued tubular tire come off in a crit. ouch.

I was planning on going with one of teh Vittoria tubulars. Then I read reviews on Corsa Evo CX: http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheels/tires-tubular/vittoria/corsa-evo-cx/prd_292083_5681crx.aspx Scarry.

I think I'll go with Specialized and hope it's not re-branded Corsa.

Looks like I'll be racing on clinchers this weekend. I just hope shop can fix my front wheel so I won't have to do it on an old training wheel. With three snapped off spokes it looked pretty bad.

Thanks.

Looks like they are made by veloflex... I swore I heard vittoria, but maybe they changed tire companies.

I have a pair I'll probably never use if you wanna buy them.

Looks like they are made by veloflex... I swore I heard vittoria, but maybe they changed tire companies.

I have a pair I'll probably never use if you wanna buy them.

I just need one. How much, and how old are they?

I do not use tape! I've seen a tire come off... In front of me... In the middle of a crit.

Every tire that comes undone, unirirargdlessing of glue or tape, is 100% the fault of the brah who put it on incorrectly. It has nothing to do with with 100% reliable glue or tape being unreliable. I've seen a chicks crank arm come off on SandHill in front of me.:laughing....still stuck to her shoe.:laughing That shit was priceless. I really need to get a fancy camera.
If you ever get a chance, go rail and sprint and whatever you want on a fancy Tufo and do the same thing on your favorite tubular. I bet you won't feel a performance difference other than the rolling noise and maybe a difference on vibration on smooth roads. Don't be that guy who pumps his tires to the 220psi max to go faster. In fact try to stay way from that guy. If anyone's tire will come off it'll most likely be that guys for the reasons stated above.

Last edited:
Back