• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Hey Kickstand, does the Chorus brifter need to be NOS also? I've got a used set but the lettering is mostly worn off. The right side (rear) is missing the hood and needs to be rebuilt but the left worked fine. Let me know!

Hello all,

I'm planning on riding my rb in Woodside this fri (haven't ridden this area in a few years; only did this on a moto) and was hoping if there are any pointers to watch out for? I plan on riding down la honda, onto Pescadero, heading towards 1, North Highway 1, then turning east San Gregorio, then finally back up La Honda. Places to park the car when I start off? I'm comfortable riding my rb in 45-50 mph traffic.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/73650408

Thanks in advance!

Climbing La Honda from either side is fun. Descending sucks. There is a small parking lot off 280 on left side on the way to Woodside. You can also drive up canada and park on Runnymede, near 280 underpass.

Hey Kickstand, does the Chorus brifter need to be NOS also? I've got a used set but the lettering is mostly worn off. The right side (rear) is missing the hood and needs to be rebuilt but the left worked fine. Let me know!

Ashully never mind. We're gonna pass on scratched chorus and continue searching for a new one.

No problem. I bought enough 9 speed stuff to last me the rest of my riding days (can't beat $29 cassettes!) so I sold my 10 spd Campy stuff. The levers, a braze-on front derailleur, and a 102mm bb are the only Campy bits I have left. Hope you find a set!

Rookie question. Ive only owned triples. Im buying my first double. Am i going to die climbing?

Rookie question. Ive only owned triples. Im buying my first double. Am i going to die climbing?

I think a compact with the correct cassette probably can have you going up a hill slower than a jogger so I think it isn't a big deal to ditch the triple.

My wife's bike has a triple on it and I think Kickstand made a post about them sucking and I think he's right. The front shifting seems to be very finicky and getting it set up took way too long. She will go like 2mph up the hills though.

I have a standard double and don't mind it, but am switching to a cassette with a bigger biggest sprocket to help on longer really steep stuff so I can spin faster and not burn out so quickly on the hills.

Need to fund the new bike. Anybody looking for a seat

Attachments

• 2012-03-22_23-20-53_323.jpg
    2012-03-22_23-20-53_323.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 83

With the correct gearing you'll be fine. On the road bike, I personally stay with the standard 53x39 with either a 21 or 23 being the largest cog on the cassette but then again I NEVER ride hills. A 39x26 combo should get you up and over most climbs (anything lower might make it a little easier though). A couple of the really fast guys I ride with do use compact cranks and are totally happy with them. All depends on where you'll be riding and your riding style. If you haven't already, take a look at the following gear chart:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

If you're worried get a compact with 12-27 casette and never ever ever ever use the 27. Think of it as your super emergency gear for super emergencies only. It's a mental trick. Another one is to look down on the ground instead of ahead. Makes the hill seem much less steep. You'll adapt and get strong enough in a few weeks of good effort. You'll be able to sell the compact in 20 mns and get a standard crank. Men should be on standard cranks.
Google climbing techniques and practice the correct ones. Triples suck by design. Sucks in the front. Normal folks can't seem to adjust them right. Spreads your legs out. All the money you spent on Record or Ultegra in the back gets negated by having to use a long cage rear Der.

Last edited:
Google climbing techniques and practice the correct ones.

I tried this before I went on my last ride and was amazed and how much it helped.

The not looking up helped the most, stared at the fogline, there is one really short but pretty steep spot on a ride I do sometimes (I think it's pierce rd by mt eden?) that I would be dead after riding before when I got to the top.

This time I tried some techniques and I don't know if I climbed faster but I did better on the rest of the ride since I didn't kill myself on the short hill.

Men should be on standard cranks.

true, my favorite bike to climb on had a 52/42 and a 26 in the back.
However, if you're heavy, or if your knees and the muscles supporting your knees are not up to par, a compact may save you some future pain and injury.
If you're just out of shape and not a member of ACTC, go for the standard, your muscles will adapt quickly.

was going to buy the Fuso but my buddy was lagging. Might just buy the frame and hang it on the wall.

Picked up the 09 Allez Elite that was up for sale here last month.

Hope to get it out soon. Ran a 5k last weekend and running a Half Marathon this sunday.

Good for you and congrats!!!
Post up if you have any problems you can't fix.

Have to pick up my race number Sat in Santa Cruz. Going to bring the bike and ride the course. A easy 13 mile bike would will be perfect the day before the run.

I think I did OK. Double, Mostly 105. Ultegra shifters. Tiagra cranks.

So I just put together my first bike from a used frameset and I can't get the shifters/derailleurs dialed in like I'd like them (dura ace 7800 only a couple hundred miles on them).

Anyone out there willing to help me get them really dialed in/look over the bike? I'm in Santa Cruz but I usually head through the South Bay a couple times a week.

IMG_5312.jpg

I know people say dialing shifting is straight forward, but I can't seem to do it on my rain bike now either. :(

I know people say dialing shifting is straight forward, but I can't seem to do it on my rain bike now either. :(

Well I re-adjusted it on the front stand and it all seems smooth now. We'll see how it does on the road though.

I think I had the front derailleur a little too high. Now I have to go down to the bike shop and pick up a new set of cables though. I re-used some ones and they're just a little too ratty for me. :p

I also think I might swap out the handlebar. The one I put on is a nice a light carbon one but I really don't like it when I'm in the drops. I have a 3t aluminum short/shallow one with the wide top that it really comfortable that will probably go on.

On the plus the bike came up well under 16 #'s with everything pedals/computer/cages/etc..

Back