• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

I could tell the difference in dry between Conti sprint and competition tubular. :dunno

I definitely was able to tell the difference between conti gp4000s and specialized turbo s-work clinchers in the wet. One wasn't sliding all over the damn place when bombing down Kings. :laughing

ja I feel the difference on clinchers....especially in the wet. I personally like Conti's for wet roads but I'm not particular enough to swap tires.....and I don't rail in the wet but that's more of "I'm a pussy/not worth it taking the bus in a cast for 3 months" personal decision.
My fave for sunny days is Vittora Corsa CX or Vredestein Fortezza......but I'll ride anything on sale. I just like the feel and sound of those. I don't really feel that any top shelf tire helps or hinders me too much. The fancy Michelins do wear out in the back super fast though.

I've had more close calls on 84 and Kings in summer heat than wet cuz the damn tar snakes melt. You go from amazing tire melting hot traction to jello mid corner.

Personally I don't take message board reviews on anything seriously after being around the type of people that give online reviews for stuff. Looking at it objectively, I think that's still the right decision. Or the fat guy on a poorly set up bike in Bicycling Magazine claiming that this Cannondale is awesome and is a totally completely different bike from this Trek that's a POS. I've got my own opinions on Specialized frames but that's mostly based on marketing and aesthetics; not performance.

Last edited:
I can feel the difference in tires, and the only time they get pumped up to 220 is on wood :)

How's $50 plus whatever shipping/gas it takes to get it to you. I'm in SJ but will be heading to Palo alto one of these days. Not sure where you are

I can't seem to find it at the moment, it's somewhere in my closet... Pretty sure it's the specialized mondo 23c
If you want it I'll drop it off since you're just down the road. If not I'll let you know if I find any deals on a tubular.

Yeah, I'll take it if it's 23mm. PM me when we can meet up.

Do you think Tufo extreme tape will work with it? I am using it with conti tire without any problems.

Thanks.

Seems like my BF surprised me with a cyclometer. :) Thanks anways! I had no idea he bought one for me..

I got my bike inspected and adjusted last night. Learned a bunch of stuff I didnt know and should know. Cant wait to ride it with the new changes. :banana

I do need to put together an emergency road kit for my little saddle bag. Can you guys tell me what I should have in there? Tubes, Co2, patches? Recommendations on brands and what I need would be GREATLY appreicated. :) Thanks mucho!

Tube, tire levers, patch kit. I have a pump on the bike.

After TAKS's mockery, I found I could jam that all into a fairly small wedge. :p

2u9mkrc.jpg

M'boy picked up this light recently as just a cheapy to tide him over, but damned if it isn't the most bright and eye-catching one I've seen.

After TAKS's mockery, I found I could jam that all into a fairly small wedge. :p

Peer pressure means something!! :p I don't see a spoke protector either!

I'm not cool enough to carry my tire changing stuff in my jersey so I bought a bag. At first I bought a giant one then I bought a smaller one because I just started carrying food in my jersey pockets (had a banana in there for about 80 miles last time I forgot about. :laughing)

Then I bought a small one that gets 1 tube, some allen keys, co2 pump, and a couple patches. I figure if I have problems that need more than that I am calling for a ride. I've used the allen keys a few times and the spare tube once so it is worth it.

I got this bag the second time because it has a clip thing so you can pop it off in a few seconds and the strap won't scuff the seat post, but it is really small.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IFO91O/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01

Oh, multitool! Duh! That's the other thing I have in the bag. Topeak makes good stuff.

I wear a minimalist hydration pack when I ride; it gives me a place to stick food, wallet, and phone. It means I don't do the cool TdF thing where I turn my head and squirt the bottle into the side of my mouth, but it's very convenient for getting fluid whenever I want it without much effort.

As others said, tire levers. I prefer ones with metal core after snapping a couple trying to put tire on/off. :laughing I used to carry a patch kit, with glue and crap, but now I don't bother and just carry two spare tubes. Trying to get that gigantic patch on 23mm tube sucked and more often then not didn't adhere very well. I also have a frame pump, and co2 pump with 2 cartridges that I carry in the saddle bag. I usually pump up a bit with hand pump to make sure everything ok, then use co2 pump. Standing by the side of the road furiously pumping away just not my idea of fun. That is reserved for home and some alone time. :laughing

Multi tool is also nice to have. Not sure what I have, I found it on the side of the road. :laughing

For tubes, I just buy whatever the hell is on sale (in bulk). The prices on them are down right criminal. For co2 catridges hit up motorcycle shop or paintball shop. It's cheaper then bicycle shop.

If you do get a flat, check inside of the tire and remove whatever caused the flat. On rare occasion you might not find anything because it was blown out when tire went flat. If you can't find anything obvious check the side tire wall where it hooks in to the rim. I had wholes there on couple occasions caused by the rim.

Great thanks guys! Bought a multi-tool,patch kit, 2 water bottles, and tire levers.

Holding off on tubes cause I dont know the size yet. But its a good start. :)

Was thinking of attempting to hit up Tunnel road this weekend for my first actual ride. as in not going around in circles :p

Look at the sidewalls of your tires it should tell what size they are. Tubes will be the same size. I am pretty sure it will be 700 (circumference), 23 (thickness). For tubes they might have a range for example 21-25. If your tire size falls within it, you are good.

ah. I had no idea. Ill have to double check when I get home.

Sounds like my BF is taking me for a ride on Saturday. Starting at Chrissy fields, over the GG, down to Sausalito, thru mill valley to Corte Madera thru Kentfield, To San Anselmo and into Fairfax then back.

decent ride to prep for the 65miler I signed up for.

I will probably nearly kill myself but Ill make it :)

Get a multi tool that has a chain breaker and have someone show you how to use it. Remember to have a master link or two otherwise that tool is mostly useless. You'll hardly ever need it but when you do it's priceless.
Keep the spare tubes in a plastic bag like a Ziplock. I like to use Saran wrap. Keeps the tube moist and like new. Sacrifice one of those CO2 cartridges and practice once. After a while you'll get 70-90psi in there. The first time you might get 0-15:laughing. It gets painfully ice cold so hold it in your glove or busted tube. Under the right circumstances you could sell that $3 masterlink for $45.

Multi tool is also nice to have. Not sure what I have, I found it on the side of the road. :laughing

:laughing:laughing You have no idea how many awesome bags, tools, pumps, tubes, A WORKING GARMIN, etc. I've gotten just by keeping a close eye for glass and sharp rocks. All the stuff is like new with just one or two scratches.
Forget wasting money at the bike store. Just ride on Canada at 2pm on a sunny Sunday. Fancy ass top shelf junk too. Well to do newbs here always get the best stuff!

Yea Im going to have my BF teach me how to change a tire cause I never have before. Along with other road side maintenance stuffs. Looking forward to our ride on saturday.

Im pretty stoked to ride it with all the new adjustments. I have SPD pedals and shoes. Think it would be a good idea to get road pedals and shoes or does it not matter? Its just personal preference?

I had SPDs for a while before moving to road pedals and shoes on the black bike. I still have SPDs and mountain shoes on the big red bike; they're comfy for just plodding along...

Think it would be a good idea to get road pedals and shoes or does it not matter? Its just personal preference?

No foolin; proper road road shoes and pedals are the most important thing and make a huge difference. You don't have to run to the store tomorrow and get $800 worth of Sidi and Look but keep it in mind.
You can cheap out on pedals to a certain point. Don't get the $70 junk at performance but there's no benefit to $350 pedals. $100 105 or Ultegra on super sale or Look Classic or whatever they call them now will work great.
You're lucky cuz nowadays you can get lotsa good shoes for "cheap."
$150-$200 will get you something with a stiff plastic sole and one ratchet strap. Most people get their first shoes that are way to big. Don't be that girl. There's a magic special way to test if the size is right.
The carbon sole's are the best cuz they don't flex at all. They'll crack before they flex any and you'll never crack em.
You want them tight side to side but not ultra tight on top cuz your feet will get numb and hurt. Even though on low end Sidi quality has gone down their sizing is one of the best IMO for most folks. They're cut better for biking. Tight toe box and heal. I could never walk or run in a shoe fit like that but it's perfect for cycling. Roadstergal claims to have gotten some NOS made in Italy cheap Sidi's at Sports basement but I was there two days ago and dude had nothing for me. I'm thinking of sending her my gas bill cuz there were no shoes or hot chicks to flirt with and they made me leave my bag with my priceless laptop at the counter and traffic sucked around the Marina with all their construction.
Shoes and pedals you keep for life and transfer from one bike to the next.
Tell your BF to buy you nice shoes and pedals and to find you a fitter who insists that you can only use cleats with 0 degree float. That's one good way to check if he knows what he's doing. If you can get the BF to buy me two sets of Speedplay track pedals that would be great too. Thanks.

I didn't say I bought 'em at Sports Basement; I tried on a pair of women's Sidis at a SB tri open house and found my strange size. :twofinger

Back