• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

I'm in the same situation as Phenom. I recently started a job that's 9 miles from my house. I've got a 29er mtb, and I was thinking of either getting an extra set of wheels and putting slicks on them or getting a road bike.

I'll go the other direction of the experts and say to put slicks on your current wheels. A tire swap takes 10min. For 9 miles, the bike isn't making any kind of difference. :laughing

Actually - if you have disc brakes, I have a set of new wheels with a disc and cassette on the rear already that I'll sell you for cheap.

Ok, you've sold me on the road bike... but I know nothing about road bikes. So what do you think, thumbs up or down: 2012 Caad 8 5 for $999. It's at a LBS in RWC.

+1 on the Cannondale. But test ride the Specialized while you're there, just for comparison.

Plus, I've bought three bikes from Go-Ride - Six 6 (yeah, with Tiagra), and two SuperSix D/A (one matte black, other midnight blue) at, what I think were, great closeout pricing. Bob and his staff treated me very well, and were very responsive to my needs. :thumbup

Nope... that was my Madone 6.9... :laughing

:laughing Somehow the retardedly expensive "hand made in the USA" plastic frames crack, have shitty paint, and are hit or miss stiffness wise depending on which box you choose your model from wile the Chinese equivalents are near perfect in every way. Did Trek at least take care of it or did they say it was your fault cuz you used the wrong color tape on the bars?
You should've heard my buddy go off on the phone with Cervelo cuz of some BS they told him. I was in tears.:laughing
I still have a cracked USA SystemSix that I wanna get repaired. My Chinese SuperSix hella-mod is an unreal frame and has taken a serious beating with no issues. You should see the crap the French send over. Hand made by drunk French kindergarteners.

Last edited:
I'll go the other direction of the experts and say to put slicks on your current wheels. A tire swap takes 10min. For 9 miles, the bike isn't making any kind of difference. :laughing

Actually - if you have disc brakes, I have a set of new wheels with a disc and cassette on the rear already that I'll sell you for cheap.

Thanks for all the advice. I've found a caad 10 for $1275... I'm going to have to do a lot more research before I pull the trigger on either of the bikes. I wonder how much time I would shave off the commute....

In the meantime, I'm going to put slicks on to make my commute easier. Roadstergal, I'll PM you for details on the the wheels.

Those older fuji team issues come with awesome components. Usually complete dura ace. Nice choice. I bought a similar one at a great price and use it as a second bike. :)

it actually came with all high end ultegra components. i still cant believe i got such a good deal on this bike. the main reason why i was looking for a new bike is because i rode my buddy's $3000 bianchi and i realized how shitty my schwinn really is. now i have a bike that retailed for $5300 6 years ago and it really shows in the way it rides.

i just ordered some new tires (continental GP4000) and some new pedals (shimano pd-a530). the larger front sprocket is looking a little worn as is the rear cassette, but i am just going to ride it for now.

any suggestions on some shoes for a wide/high arched foot? i tried on some sidis yesterday and i felt like a chinese girl with bindings on her feet.

it actually came with all high end ultegra components. i still cant believe i got such a good deal on this bike. the main reason why i was looking for a new bike is because i rode my buddy's $3000 bianchi and i realized how shitty my schwinn really is. now i have a bike that retailed for $5300 6 years ago and it really shows in the way it rides.

i just ordered some new tires (continental GP4000) and some new pedals (shimano pd-a530). the larger front sprocket is looking a little worn as is the rear cassette, but i am just going to ride it for now.

any suggestions on some shoes for a wide/high arched foot? i tried on some sidis yesterday and i felt like a chinese girl with bindings on her feet.

I like the shimanos, they seem to fit me well and I have big feet. I have good luck finding good deals on them. I'd just go down to sports basement or wherever and try on a bunch and get whatever is on sale.

I originally rode one of my dad's old treks that had $100 2000g wheels with huge ass tires and was probably 2 sizes too big. When I switched to a carbon dura ace bike with 1450g wheels I think I went about 2mph average faster on the usual route. It was night and day. I think once you get on a nice bicycle it's hard to ride a crappy one. I borrowed my friends jamis coda hybrid once and wanted to shoot myself after a short uphill.

i still cant believe i got such a good deal on this bike.

I still can't believe you went from such a bleh overpriced borderline junky choice to getting the most perfect bike.:laughing

I've got a brand new Uletegra and DA chain and bottom bracket for that bike should you need one. Measure the chain. If it's within spec you don't need a new one. If the the chain doesn't skip on the same cog/ring then you don't those new either. Clean, lube and adjust everything perfectly first. If the chains out of spec then you wanna replace it ASAP cuz it wears on the rings/cassette at a ridiculously fast rate.

Last edited:
I still can't believe you went from such a bleh overpriced borderline junky choice to getting the most perfect bike.:laughing

well, i had my eye out for either a merlin ultralight or any sort of carbon frame bike and trying to find one in good condition within the $750 price range is pretty impossible. i was getting frustrated, my buddy had his jamis for sale and i always liked riding that bike around the courtyard so i agreed to buy it. then my other buddy sent me the craigslist ad for the fuji so i wrote the dude offering him $800 ($200 less than his asking price) and went to pick it up the next morning. not a bad upgrade for 100 bucks more than i was going to pay for the jamis.

i keep expecting to find something wrong with the bike as i go thru it but it is a damn solid bike. never crashed and awesomely maintained. the crazy thing is that the craigslist ad for the bike had been reposted 3 times and i overlooked it somehow every single time.

now the real question; what the hell do i do with my schwinn?

i can either
A. put it in the storage warehouse for another 30 years until my son finds it and starts riding it

B. take it all apart, refurbish everything and have a cherry classic cruiser

C. take it all apart, repaint it a crazy color and turn it into a fixie

16742_196235981496_5154123_n.jpg

now the real question; what the hell do i do with my schwinn?

i can either
A. put it in the storage warehouse for another 30 years until my son finds it and starts riding it

B. take it all apart, refurbish everything and have a cherry classic cruiser

C. take it all apart, repaint it a crazy color and turn it into a fixie
[/img]

Give it away... I worked in a bike shop for 13 years, and everybody with an old schwinn would come in and ask the same thing. It's not worth refurbishing, because it will be expensive and still ride like crap. It's not worth turning into a fixie because fixies are lame. That, and the 1 piece crank makes that a pain, as well as the crappy/heavy/flexy frame.

Seriously, just dump it. If you really want to do a fixed gear or single speed (the later I recommend), buy a 1980's lugged cro-mo frame. It will ride way better and there's actually parts still available given the bottom bracket and seat posts are common sizes.

well, i wouldnt be refurbishing it to make money. it would be more of a sentimental value to me since my dad bought that bike new in 1974 and i grew up on the back of it staring at my dad's ass in a child's seat.

turning it into a fixie would be fun just because ive always wanted a fixie but ive never been willing to shell out the cash for one. if i have this frame i might as well try it, but you are right. its heavy, handles like crap and is borderline unrideable.

it will probably end up back in our warehouse for another 30 years, unless for some reason i decide to take it apart and make it pretty again. maybe when i have time/money ill do it. thanks for the perspective.

That model's kinda junky and worthless. Keep it if it has sentimental value; sell it for a few dollars if it doesn't. Don't waste a penny trying to make it better.

well, i wouldnt be refurbishing it to make money. it would be more of a sentimental value to me since my dad bought that bike new in 1974 and i grew up on the back of it staring at my dad's ass in a child's seat.

Yea, a lot of people refurbishing them did it for the same reasons. If that's the case, do everything yourself and reuse the vast majority of the parts. Some steel wool and time can go a long way when polishing up old chrome!

Turn it in to fixie, get some skinny jeans, and whatever latest hippie fashion is and go pose at starbucks with ducati riders. :laughing

Back