• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Fight Your Traffic Ticket In California - Save Loads Of Money - Tutorial

Think it took 3 to 4 months to get convicted of speeding. The wheels of justice move very slowly they are moving watch closely, i heard in some cases there is an 8 month backlog and people literally hire judges to adjudicate the cases more expediantly. Be patient my friend.

9/2/15 to 10/14/15 And no word yet either way.

The court web site does say...

"This may take 8-12 weeks to process."

FYI red light tickets in SF are notoriously hard to dispute - words from my lawyer. Since your ticket is in San Mateo county, should be easier but not the easiest. I had my red light in San Mateo dismissed 2 years ago, but I hired a lawyer to fight it. $500 fine dismissed with no points, no traffic school - took 6 months.

Thx guys :thumbup

I guess this doesn't mean shit in traffic court...

"The Sixth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and the constitutions of the individual states guarantee the right to a speedy trial. Under the federal Constitution"

:laughing

Guess I'll sit and wait...taptaptap...While they hold onto my $500 bucks.

Thx guys :thumbup

I guess this doesn't mean shit in traffic court...

"The Sixth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and the constitutions of the individual states guarantee the right to a speedy trial. Under the federal Constitution"

:laughing

Guess I'll sit and wait...taptaptap...While they hold onto my $500 bucks.

I think you gave up that right when you went for TBD

I am not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this, of if this information is somewhere on barf, but I recently got my first ticket. It was from the CHP. How do I get the officer's notes?

I am not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this, of if this information is somewhere on barf, but I recently got my first ticket. It was from the CHP. How do I get the officer's notes?

Hire a lawyer probably who can do discovery. aka expensive lol

I like to check and see if anyone has hired 3rd party service to fight for their tickets in CA? If anyone has can someone advise which one is liable or northern California? Thank you.

Well I paid my camera light ticket. It came out to $547 ($480 + $67 admin fee to process traffic school). I also paid the traffic school (online) $19. All in all, just shy of $600.

I received the citation, saw the pictures, watched the video and I CLEARLY ran the red light. Not denying it. The only thing I'm concerned about is the yellow light timing being off. How would you be able to prove this had I decided to contest?

Also, I was afraid that if I contested, my rights to traffic school goes away. Is this true?

I hired California traffic defenders for $250 and they successfully defended my case. It too was a red light infraction.

I like to check and see if anyone has hired 3rd party service to fight for their tickets in CA? If anyone has can someone advise which one is liable or northern California? Thank you.

https://www.californiatrafficdefenders.com/

Last edited:
I hired California traffic defenders for $250 and they successfully defended my case. It too was a red light infraction.

https://www.californiatrafficdefenders.com/

I've used the same folks for 2 tickets.

One was GG Division CHP, a moving violation, which they won for me.

The second was a speeding ticket in Marin county that they lost, and it cost me a lot more to have fought.

So 50/50, but I do not feel the were forthright about the chances of winning the Marin one. Not sure they are about fighting any ticket and are likely more inclined to take anything to collect a fee.

Regardless, I'd use them again if I got a ticket in the East/West/South Bay.

The second was a speeding ticket in Marin county that they lost, and it cost me a lot more to have fought.

Can you please elaborate on the Marin ticket.

Was it a ticket using radar, or the did the LEO witness an infraction, or...?

Why do you think that they weren't able to get your ticket dropped?

Thanks

:thumbup

I've used the same folks for 2 tickets.

One was GG Division CHP, a moving violation, which they won for me.

So 50/50, but I do not feel the were forthright about the chances of winning the Marin one. Not sure they are about fighting any ticket and are likely more inclined to take anything to collect a fee.

Regardless, I'd use them again if I got a ticket in the East/West/South Bay.

If it's the same commissioner in Marin, I'm not surprised you lost. In general, traffic commissioners favor officers (despite the state having the burden of proof, in theory), but the Marin commissioner was one of the toughest (on defendants) I've come across.

For those playing at home, commissioners ain't judges. (that's should tell you something)

I take it weasel lost his TBD?

Can you please elaborate on the Marin ticket.

Was it a ticket using radar, or the did the LEO witness an infraction, or...?

Why do you think that they weren't able to get your ticket dropped?

Thanks

:thumbup

He got me for speeding, 76 in a 55, if I recall correctly. I also believe I was LIDAR'ed. But this was 2 years ago and I'm not certain.

From what I've heard, you're very unlikely to beat any tickets in Marin, as jdhu said.

My sob story: Commuting around a triangular traffic island at a T intersection that was under construction and was constantly changing. That morning the construction crew closed my right turn onto the leg of the T. The other side of the triangle was a two way street, allowing me to proceed with my turn, but not that morning. Crew had propped up a do not enter sign on a sandwich board, facing perpendicular to my view before the turn. Impossible to see.

Cop was hiding so that he could see the sign, and had taken a bunch of pictures before hand. Watched me roll through, and pulled me over a block later. His backup was literally peeling around the oncoming corner to block me in, jumping out of his car like someone's life depended on it. I kind of sheepishly watched backup run over to us, fold his arms and strike a tough guy pose. I was going 19 in a 25 and had stopped at the first open parking spot. Not sure what the fuss was about, but it was pretty amusing looking back at it. At the time I was just happy to be wearing gear cuz it looked like Clay Matthews was going for the sack. Remember kids, ATGATT.

I took it to trial, and the judge appeared stumped. After all, a hardliner's view is that I did ride past the sign, even if I couldn't see it. She elected to think about it instead of decide, telling me she'd write a letter with her ruling. Didn't hear anything until my insurance company gleefully informed me this week that my rates were doubling for having 1 point on my record.

Just putting this out there for those who see traffic tickets as simple black and white issues. Wrong. I have no problem owning up to mistakes, but I found the whole experience predatory and unreasonable. To think that all you have to do is ride safely and within the law to avoid tickets is delusional.

Two take-away's from my experience:

1. Learn to bend light so you can see things that you cannot see.
2. Work the system as much as you can, because the system is working you big time.

2. Work the system as much as you can, because the system is working you big time.

I made a rule that if the lawyer was 1/2 the cost of the ticket or less, it was worth it to me to just get the lawyer. With all of the venue request and request for a new "judge" you can easily delay it for an easy year. And this just ties up the courts more and more thus making them earn all the bullshit fees they are taking on to the fine.

I made a rule that if the lawyer was 1/2 the cost of the ticket or less, it was worth it to me to just get the lawyer. With all of the venue request and request for a new "judge" you can easily delay it for an easy year. And this just ties up the courts more and more thus making them earn all the bullshit fees they are taking on to the fine.

That's how I view it. Make them work for their money. :laughing

On side note, funny story about requesting a new judge. I did it once, and the traffic case was dumped in to criminal court. Needless to say much hilarity ensued with a lot of "But this is a traffic case." :laughing

On side note, funny story about requesting a new judge. I did it once, and the traffic case was dumped in to criminal court. Needless to say much hilarity ensued with a lot of "But this is a traffic case." :laughing

That's actually pretty cool. At least it prevents the commissioner from acting as both judge and prosecutor.

And, you might actually get a response to your discovery request.

Back