• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Fight Your Traffic Ticket In California - Save Loads Of Money - Tutorial

You do realize that lawyers largely exploit the same loopholes the police do...and they also prey on people willing to pay them to do something they could do themselves...for less money. :teeth

If it costs more in attorney's fees to fight a ticket than it would cost me to just pay the fine, do the traffic school and move on...well, I'm sure you can figure out which one I'll pick.

Last edited:
You do realize that lawyers largely exploit the same loopholes the police do...and they also prey on people willing to pay them to do something they could do themselves...for less money. :teeth

If it costs more in attorney's fees to fight a ticket than it would cost me to just pay the fine, do the traffic school and move on...well, I'm sure you can figure out which one I'll pick.

It's also a convenience fee and I guess depends on how much your time is worth to you. You need appear before the date, be put on arraignment calendar, sent discovery request to police and DA. Either at arraignment or different court date (memory fuzzy on this one), file your motions. At least one of them will be to force discovery since chances are high police/DA won't reply. Then you can do trial by declaration (I think), and if you loose trial de novo. Make sure to get all the records from trial de novo also to see what officer wrote.

Now you can just file trail by declaration. Here is the kicker thought if you do that and don't to arraignment you just waved your your rights to speedy trial. Then of course you need to be confident in court and pay really good attention otherwise you might end up waving your rights.

To do this properly also requires a bunch of research on all the procedures, then on what is relevant to your case.

TLDR: you are paying lawyer for his experience and time.

P.S. above is from memory to illustrate a point.

As Kornholio and UD pointed out, traffic court ISNT rocket science and the average intelligent person could do as well as any lawyer with some time and effort. In fact, UD rider took on stuff only a lawyer would take on and won, just by being smarter than the average bear.:teeth
You just have to do the math as Kornholio said: my wages divided by hours spent < or > than ticket cost even with a win involved,

Most poeple lose in traffic court because they are not prepared.

I got a ticket today on 280, cited 80mph in 65mph limit. Cop was riding in far right lane, he had me on estimated speed (not radar or LDAR). I saw him, but there was a couple of cars coming up fast behind me, needed to go faster to get into right lane (I was in far left). Highway traffic was all going 75+mph.

I'll contest to the ticket. But should I go about it as mentioned in this thread, get a lawyer, or appear in person?

Who knows a good lawyer around South Bay area?

Last edited:
Yes...hopefully!

I am about to undo my business car insurance.
1 ticket and it went up $660. First ticket in a cage (on my record - had one other online traffic school) since 1986. No accidents.

Can't believe it.. sourcing now and looking forward to giving the agent a piece of my mind.

Fak! 21453(a) and a speed warning.

First red light ticket ever. I honestly don't know if I ran it. LEO pulled me over and I said "Sorry, was I speeding" he said I pulled you over for going through the red light at Jefferson on Veterans Blvd in RWC.

I was like "Huh :wtf" I have no idea.

Anyway *Subscribed* while I wait for the notice in the mail :|

THanks Dood!

21453: Failure to stop at a red light (police issued)

• Example one.

21453:

Red light tickets, like stop sign tickets are uber expensive when compared to speeding tickets. You would have been better off with a speeding ticket.....

Well, I could have gotten both.

I know they were bad in SF but no idea about San Mateo County. Guess I'll find out soon.

If nothing else, I'll go to court and ask for a reduced fine. :dunno It worked last time I got a speeding ticket. It went from 400 to 100.

Red light tickets, like stop sign tickets are uber expensive when compared to speeding tickets. You would have been better off with a speeding ticket.....

fuck

Totally ri·dic·u·lous. 6:30AM. No one around, no one in danger and I'm not even sure if I ran it :rant

Attachments

• IMAG3646_1_1 Stop.jpg
    IMAG3646_1_1 Stop.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 379
Good luck, I fought my ticket and lost by written declaration. Did get the traffic court fine waived which saved me 50 bucks so it might have been worth it. You know the guy with the badge and gun and polished shoes gets the benefit of the doubt. I guess the judges get so used to saying "guilty" its hard to snap them out of it even if you raise reasonable doubt or whatever the standard is. Also the judges have to push through tons of tickets so it isn't like the guy is sitting there cautiously deliberating and weighing the facts. If I get another ticket I'm just going to throw myself on the mercy of the court, I think showing respect for the legal system is half the battle. Oh you'll get to meet tons of people waiting in the traffic court line, justice is blind and all walks of life and tales of woe will be there. One guy was talking about missing payment for a seatbelt ticket, went from 160 to over 500.

I'm just going to throw myself on the mercy of the court, I think showing respect for the legal system is half the battle.

Did that for my last 400 dollar speeding ticket. I went to court (dressed nicely and was respectful) asked for payments because I just started a new job and the judge gave me a reduced fin of 100 bucks and traffic school :cool

I don't have time to take a day off work for this crap.

:laughing heh, no shit...

Geeezeee, where's the :fuckmeintheass smilie?

Shot off my "Trial by mail with a written declaration" today. I'll post the results :D

Thanks again.

CVC 21453(a)

Last edited:
Shot off my "Trial by mail with a written declaration" today. I'll post the results :D

Thanks again.

CVC 21453(a)

this is a good thread subscribed, let us know what happens

Back