• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Flat Track Racing Mega Thread - INCLUDES SPOILERS!

Thanks for bringing that here. I don't follow the sport closely enough to have seen it. He raises good questions.

Good letter... hope those in power listen.

I kept seeing the "snarky board track promoter dude" (from the Harley and the Davidson's) movie in my mind when he was saying how poor the track was.

oh, damnit anyway !!

AFT [nee AMA Pro Racing] agrees to ax 2017 Santa Rosa Mile

".....After deep discussions with our partner and promoter, Steve Delorenzi,
we concur with his decision to remove the Santa Rosa Mile from the 2017 race calendar
....."

few if any here know Steve, a warm & sincere bear of a man who loves FT -
tho' I haven't spoken with him since before the event, I surmise that his heart is hurting
& he simply put his grieving humanity before any future profits......

2 local newspaper stories:

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/6134656-181/ama-pro-racing-motorcycle-circuit?artslide=0

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/opinion/6140152-181/pd-editorial-why-were-races

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news...ock-says-santa-rosa-is-off-the-2017-schedule/

Last edited:
Great link firstbuell. I always forget to check Sideburn.

If Michael Lock can pull off sending the whole FT circus to Europe for a race, I'll take back every...uh...most of the bad things I've said about him.

Extremely talented 22-year old racer Dominic Colindres of Brisbane was seriously injured during his heat race at Peoria. Dom has was on the box at Peoria in the GNC1 class last year and had won the race in GNC2. He won two heat races against established pros in the GNC1 class last year which pretty much unheard of for a rookie. The kid is a racer through and through; racing flat track and supermoto and winning at both disciplines since he was a youngster. I've also seen Dom working with kids and new riders at Garrett Willis's dirt schools.

Colindres has a a tough road ahead and any help would be appreciated.

The Class of 79 is an organization that supports injured flat track racers. EVERY DOLLAR donated goes directly to the injured racer. I donated to Stevie Bonsey's recovery earlier this year through their site and I'll be donating to help Dom's needs. Please consider helping one of the racers that makes Flat Track so exciting.

http://www.amaft79.com/dominic-colindres-fund.html

DC_wave-L.jpg

As a donator I just received an update from Dom via
http://www.amaft79.com/

I will copy paste this first one:
Each week we'll be bringing you an update written by Dominic Colindres on his recovery status. He's fighting hard to recover from his injuries. The medical care will be ongoing for the foreseeable future, and that being said he's going to need continued financial help. If you can please help here:
http://bit.ly/2bzjS9s

Week 1 Update:
This past week was definitely one of my better ones. It's seems like I'm finally getting over my latest infection. These infections cause me a whole bunch of pain and force me to be bed ridden. After slowly feeling better during the week, I finally tried sitting up on the side of the bed. I pushed myself up perfectly fine and even transferred into my wheelchair where I sat for a bit. Hopefully these infections stop happening so I can leave this nursing facility and go home to start more out patient rehab.

Dogboy was right... tough road. Hang in there and kick some healing ass kid.

healing vibes sent DC's way.......

looking forward:

18 races for American Flat Track in 2017

including 2 NorCal events + 1 in SoCal

".....calendar includes improvements to geographic diversity, the mix of track configurations (six Miles, seven Half-Miles, two Short Tracks and three TTs) and boasts the most rounds on a schedule since 2011.....

.....The DAYTONA TT will mark the dawning of a new era for America’s most historic form of motorcycle racing, and will serve as the first battleground for the great American war between Harley-Davidson and Indian Motorcycles in 2017

March 16: DAYTONA TT – Daytona International Speedway, Daytona Beach, Fla.

March 25: Georgia Short Track – Dixie Speedway, Woodstock, Ga.

April 1: Charlotte Half-Mile – Charlotte Motor Speedway, Concord, N.C.

May 13: Arizona Mile – Turf Paradise, Phoenix, Ariz.

May 20: Sacramento Mile – Cal Expo Fairgrounds, Sacramento, Calif.

May 27-28: Springfield Mile I – Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, Ill.

June 3: Red Mile – The Red Mile, Lexington, Ky.

June 17: OKC Mile – Remington Park, Oklahoma City

June 24: Lima Half-Mile – Allen County Fairgrounds, Lima, Ohio

July 8: Rolling Wheels Half-Mile – Rolling Wheels Raceway Park, Elbridge, N.Y.

July 29: Calistoga Half-Mile – Calistoga Speedway, Calistoga, Calif.

Aug. 6: Buffalo Chip TT – Buffalo Chip Campgrounds, Sturgis, S.D.

Aug. 8: Black Hills Half-Mile – Black Hills Speedway, Rapid City, S.D.

Aug. 13: Peoria TT – Peoria Motorcycle Club, Peoria, Ill.

Sept. 2-3: Springfield Mile II – Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, Ill.

Sept. 9: Williams Grove Half-Mile – Williams Grove Speedway, Mechanicsburg, Pa.

Sept. 23: Lone Star Half-Mile – Texas Motor Speedway, Fort Worth, Texas

Oct. 7: Perris Short Track – Perris Auto Speedway, Perris, Calif.
....."

www.roadracingworld.com/news/ama-pro-racing-releases-18-round-2017-american-flat-track-schedule/

Thanks Curt. Nice to see Calistoga on the schedule. The way that track is prepped and races is just the best I have seen. SJ used to be pretty damn nice too.

In a way it is a shame they don't put all the California Race together so teams did not have to do as much criss crossing, but I suppose a lot of the team members have 9-5's anyway and it might not matter that much.

budman, thanks for posting the update on Dom. He had several injuries from his crash and many challenges. He's a tough kid and focused on the future.

Lots of new tracks on the schedule for next year. Hope some of you come for the Sac Mile. May is a beautiful time of year to spend an evening in Sacramento.

:welcome Chris Carr!

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Nov. 15, 2016) – With an expanded 18-race calendar and a re-envisioning of the class structure and event format on the horizon in 2017, American Flat Track has named seven-time Grand National Champion Chris Carr as Chief Competition Officer (CCO) as the sport enters the dawning of a bright new era.

“We’re delighted to have Chris join the American Flat Track team,” said Michael Lock, CEO of AMA Pro Racing. “His deep knowledge of racing and his excellent relationships within the community will be very helpful as we continue to build momentum and grow the sport.”

Starting with the all-new DAYTONA TT on March 16, 2017, the freshly-rebranded American Flat Track will feature a clearly-defined class structure and modernized event format designed to entertain fans from coast-to-coast. With respect for the past and an eye on the future, Carr will leverage his passion and intimate knowledge to guide the sporting aspects of American Flat Track into the modern age.

“I am very excited about the direction American Flat Track is heading,” said Carr. “In this new role, I will draw on my 40 years of flat track experience to guide the sport in the interest of safe, fair and close competition as we usher in this new era.”

In continuation of his contribution to the new technical and procedural rules, David McGrath will transition to the key role of Race Operations and Technical Director in 2017. Rounding out the Competition Department’s management team, Steve Morehead and Becki Edmondson will continue in their roles of Director of Race Events and Director of Member Services, respectively.

For more information about American Flat Track and to keep up-to-date with the latest news about the sport, please visit http://www.americanflattrack.com.

Next Up:
American Flat Track will kick off the 2017 season during Daytona’s Bike Week festivities on Thursday, March 16 with the all-new DAYTONA TT, built inside the trioval at Daytona International Speedway. The DAYTONA TT will mark the dawning of a new era for America’s most historic form of motorcycle racing, and the “World Center of Racing” will serve as the first battleground for the great American war between Harley-Davidson and Indian Motorcycles in 2017. Tickets for the DAYTONA TT are now on sale and can be purchased at www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com.

How to Watch:
FansChoice.tv is the official home for live streaming coverage of American Flat Track events. The site also provides coverage of IMSA's development and single-make series, and NASCAR's touring and weekly series. Catch all the action at http://www.FansChoice.tv.

About American Flat Track:
American Flat Track is the world's premier dirt track motorcycle racing series and one of the longest-running championships in the history of motorsports. Sanctioned by AMA Pro Racing in Daytona Beach, Fla., the series is highly regarded as the most competitive form of dirt track motorcycle racing on the globe. For more information on American Flat Track, please visit www.americanflattrack.com, follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or live stream the on-track action on FansChoice.tv.

About AMA Pro Racing:
AMA Pro Racing is the premier professional motorcycle racing organization in North America, operating a full schedule of events and championships for a variety of motorcycle disciplines. Learn more about AMA Pro Racing at www.amaproracing.com.

# # #

Davis Fisher just announced in Instagram that he and his dad are putting together a couple of twins for next season and posted a picture of freshly built Kawasaki 650 FT bike. I didn't realize he had left the HD team. Hope they pick up some decent sponsors because that kid was riding the wheels off the under-performing Street 750 last season.

Davis Fisher just announced in Instagram that he and his dad are putting together a couple of twins for next season and posted a picture of freshly built Kawasaki 650 FT bike. I didn't realize he had left the HD team. Hope they pick up some decent sponsors because that kid was riding the wheels off the under-performing Street 750 last season.

I hope HD paid him well for last year. Lot of talent waisted riding that Streed 750.

Headed for Barcelona by way of Switzerland next Tuesday. Going to watch Mees and Baker take on the world. :teeth

I hope HD paid him well for last year. Lot of talent waisted riding that Streed 750.

Headed for Barcelona by way of Switzerland next Tuesday. Going to watch Mees and Baker take on the world. :teeth

I'm jealous. Have fun.

deep background on AFT - 2017 & beyond:

".....We formed an advisory group where we asked the complete paddock to nominate who should be on the committee. We wanted four representatives of active riders, four representatives of teams and crew, and a ninth who was the guy who got the next most votes.

We ended up with Bryan Smith, Brad Baker, Jared Mees and Corey Texter. Then Dick Weirbach, Johnny Goad, Mike Hacker the Harley crew chief… They are our early warning system of the reaction that we might hear from the paddock at large.

We will be judged on if we achieve our goals or not, but there are people who don’t agree with our goals, people who don’t want pro flat track to become big. They like that it’s grassroots and tight-knit and they’re not held to a higher standard about how they dress or how well they build their bikes. I get that, but this is a time of change.
....."

http://www.sideburnmagazine.com/copy-of-stories

The whole Indian team, plus Corey Texter? The paddock selected them, right?

This part absolutely blew me away:

"If I compare the data, I see two completely different sports. I see under-30s online and huge spikes in Brazil, Thailand and India, countries where people have good access to wifi and use motorcycles as their primary transport. The US is the fourth biggest follower of pro flat track online, after those three countries."

This part absolutely blew me away:

"If I compare the data, I see two completely different sports. I see under-30s online and huge spikes in Brazil, Thailand and India, countries where people have good access to wifi and use motorcycles as their primary transport. The US is the fourth biggest follower of pro flat track online, after those three countries."

That was surprising. Not sure I believe it.

I also don't believe Lock claiming "We will have an hour-long programme through the summer and autumn of 2017 and we’ll take it to an audience that NBC estimates will be 250,000 on a bad night and 500-600,000 on a good night." I'll have to double check but I believe the TV deal is with the NBC Sports cable channel, not the same NBC Sports that shows NFL games on terrestrial broadcast TV. No way AFT can afford NBC. Those ratings numbers sound wildly optimistic considering MotoGP supposedly only pulls a reported 80,000-ish viewers per race in the U.S. and the NBC Sports cable channel isn't readily available on all cable networks.

Cable TV is on the ropes. ESPN is losing subscribers at an alarming rate as are other media properties that depend on cable subscribers. While its great to have a TV package, I don't think I'd bet the farm on tape delay events on a minor cable channel in today's market.

Meanwhile, both people with access to MAV-TV will be able to watch 2016 AMA Pro Flat races every Tuesday starting Dec. 13th.

an Hispanic-American explanation:

The Art of Dirt Track, by Kenny Noyes

".....When you first see a Dirt Track it looks simple.....a short track oval looks easy…..just go round in circles!.....

.....Riders are right at the limit during the whole lap working to control the slide with a complex combination of brake, throttle, lean angle, body position and foot pressure on the ground
....."

http://dtxbarcelona.com/the-art-of-dirt-track-by-kenny-noyes/?lang=en

David Emmett's Paddock Pass podcast (which is focused almost exclusively on MotoGP) this week is about Superprestigio and mostly about American Flat Track.

Give it a listen:

Episode 43 - Superprestigio 2016

Back