• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Flat Track Racing Mega Thread - INCLUDES SPOILERS!

possibly a repost - but, worth it!

Kanemoto's pioneering '75 Kawasaki-triple trackers

".....Over the span of three years prior to the 1975 racing season, [San Jose's Erv] Kanemoto--who, of course, went on to become world famous as a tuner and crew chief for Grand Prix World Champions Freddie Spencer, Eddie Lawson, Wayne Gardner, John Kocinski, Kenny Roberts Junior, Max Biaggi and several other well-known riders--had been working on a 750cc Kawasaki H2 three-cylinder two-stroke flat tracker.....

.....the first official win for a two-stroke in AMA Expert mile flat track competition, and it happened more than a month prior to Kenny Roberts' celebrated Indy Mile win on his Yamaha TZ750
....."

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2013/Dec/131213verve.htm

Definitely worth it. Kanemoto is a genius!

mo from AFT's Michael Lock:

".....We’re exploring ways to show manufacturers that the audience for flat track isn’t 100,000 people that will go to events, but rather that the millions that watch the races on the internet are worth marketing to.....

.....I don’t look to speak to Honda America instead I want to speak to Honda [Japan], show them that we’ve got an American product that is being sold worldwide, and ask them are they interested in getting involved?.....

.....We partnered with the X-Games.....our ratings are so high that ESPN have made us the opening act.....

.....for the next games they want the twins to be on track, and not the dirt bikes.....The biggest spikes we get are X-Games and Superprestigio
....."

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/qamichael-lock-future-flat-track-racing/#more-126046

Just read the article and came here to post it. Too late, but still worth reading the link above.

Good interview.

I'm thrilled to see AFT go from threatening to drop the Peoria TT to adding two more TT events to the schedule. The move to bring more events to the coasts is good, too. I'm excited for this season.

What does it say that X-Games is keen to get the twins? Are the twins a better show because racing big bikes in small venues is more "extreme"?

Lock can be confusing and contradictory in interviews. I don't know what he's talking about here. The two X-Games Flat Track races have only used twin cylinder bikes.

HD really wants to be in front of the X-Games crowd. At the 2014 X-Games, there was no race but HD had a big booth with bikes on display and Brad Baker signing autographs and talking to people all weekend. I don't think the X-Games wants twins as much as HD is paying $$$ to sponsor the race.

Flattrack Thursday !

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Jan. 10, 2017) – American Flat Track proudly announces an exclusive television partnership with NBCSN for the 2017 season. All 18 rounds, from the season-opening DAYTONA TT to the American Flat Track Finals in Southern California, will air in one-hour, tape-delayed telecasts on Thursday nights throughout the summer and fall.

The 2017 Troy Bayliss Classic is happening right now Today/Tonight/Tomorrow (because Australia). Some highlight videos on the FlatTrackLive Facebook page. Wiles, Halbert and defending TBC Champ Jared Mees are there representing the U.S. of A.

Mees wins TBC for the 2nd year in a row.

Now its all about the countdown to the Daytona TT.

https://youtu.be/cJMwBwFj5nQ
[youtube]cJMwBwFj5nQ[/youtube]

HD Factory team will exclusively race the XG750R in 2017.

Fast, liquid-cooled and with big shoes to fill: The Harley-Davidson XG750R motorcycle will be the only bike raced by the Harley-Davidson Factory Flat Track Racing Team in 2017. The new flat-tracker will replace the Harley-Davidson XR750, the most successful flat-track racing motorcycle of all time.

The Harley-Davidson Factory Team will contest the 2017 American Flat Track (ATF) racing series and ESPN’s X Games Minneapolis Harley-Davidson Flat Track Racing event exclusively aboard the XG750R bikes. The racing season opens during Daytona Bike Week at the March 16 ATF Daytona TT on a new circuit featuring a jump to be constructed inside Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Florida.

Hard to think that the new Indian is more proven after one race than the new XG Harley after testing for a year. Going to be an interesting year.

Seeing as many teams challenge Harley the better.

Seeing Harley step up their game is awesome too.

Have not see big teams like Indian and HD will have since the days of Triumph, BSA and Yamaha.

Anyone looking to buy a new Indian FTR750?

Excerpt from Asphalt&Rubber post:

When the Indian Scout FTR750 flat track race bike debuted, our comments section was filled with enthusiasts screaming for a production version of the water-cooled 750cc machine.
Well my friends, your prayers have been answered…in part. Indian is making the Scout FTR750 available to anyone who has the coin to spend, with a couple caveats: 1) you will need to pony up $50,000 in order to purchas the bike, and 2) it will be a race-only model.

Back