• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Flat Track Racing Mega Thread - INCLUDES SPOILERS!

You know you want one.

[YOUTUBE]UNrQDMZUxKk[/YOUTUBE]

Sonofa$#&@! Mutha$#&%ers.

AFT's 2018 rule book states bikes in the Twins category "must maintain the traditional appearance of a flat track twin-cylinder motorcycle" and "must not be constructed to resemble Motocross or Supermoto motorcycles." Targeting Henry Wiles awesome TT twin is weak sauce.

yes, singling out Hank is lame, tho' I also see what they're attempting to accomplish

that said - meh, itz only bodywork

me? I'm more interested in CA race venue than the rulebook

This is kind of a long (well, internet long) but interesting article about the failure of the Steel Shoe Nationals which was an alternate flat track series which attempted to put on a few events to rival AFT this season. IMO, its cautionary tale. I've worked for an auto racing series (employee) and done work for a motorcycle racing series (contractor). Running a series is a way more complicated than people imagine and every bench racer figures he or she can do a better job...until they actually try.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/steel-shoe-nationals

That was a sad read. I have been involved at the AMA Dist 36 level of promoting races. It is a real roll of the dice and not many clubs or promoters are getting rich. That said how could they advertise prize money they did not have. Even at the AFT level I don't think many races would make any money without sponsors.

Its easy to advertise prize money you don't have. Paying out money you don't have is the hard part. :laughing

I have towering respect for the good promoters out there. There is no school or manual for promoting a race event or series. The people who do it right are rare and special. The flakes and scam artists just make it harder for everyone else.

Hmmm.

http://www.bikeexif.com/indian-scout-ftr1200-custom

indian-scout-ftr1200-custom-625x417.jpg

Take my money

That was a sad read. I have been involved at the AMA Dist 36 level of promoting races. It is a real roll of the dice and not many clubs or promoters are getting rich. That said how could they advertise prize money they did not have. Even at the AFT level I don't think many races would make any money without sponsors.

Gina Harrington's a top drawer person who's been wise enuf to withdraw from a few FT 'situations' - this article seems a fair representation RE: her

Brad Baker will miss out on the Supreprestigio this year, due to a surgery he just had today.

Wonder who from the USA is going this year?

I am going to miss going this year too. If you get a chance to go it is a great show.

Wonder who from the USA is going this year?

I am going to miss going this year too. If you get a chance to go it is a great show.

Not sure, hopefully someone.

I'd like to go someday, but it won't be this year. Planning a Spain trip to the Aragon GP for 2018, though.

Not sure, hopefully someone.

I'd like to go someday, but it won't be this year. Planning a Spain trip to the Aragon GP for 2018, though.

I am going to try and hit a GP next year. Not sure when we will be in Switzerland next year to see the daughter but I am sure we will.

Barcelona in Dec is nice. Germany and Switzerland have all the Xmas markets going. Tell the wife it is a family trip to the Xmas markets. :teeth Easy Jet flys to Barcelona and it is a quick trip from anywhere in Europe. :thumbup

so I'm a li'l confused:

what's so new in 2018 about AFT Singles being a "stand-alone" class, offering "additional manufacturers more exposure"

has AFT gone NASCRAP, with Infinity & Monster series going to different tracks, etc. ?

I googled it with no useful return [& of course, AFT site has zero search capability....]

Where is this coming from?

Hmm.. Not sure what "standalone" means in this case.

They already have separate venues for singles on both Springfield weekends. From what I understand, AFT and the promoter feel singles are safe on the Mile at Springfield. Wonder if this will apply to other tracks for the same reason.

I am going to try and hit a GP next year. Not sure when we will be in Switzerland next year to see the daughter but I am sure we will.

Barcelona in Dec is nice. Germany and Switzerland have all the Xmas markets going. Tell the wife it is a family trip to the Xmas markets. :teeth Easy Jet flys to Barcelona and it is a quick trip from anywhere in Europe. :thumbup

I'd love to bring the family to Europe next December. For now, my Aragon trip will be me and a motorcycle riding from Nice and making my way to Aragon and back, stopping to see some friends a long the way. Probably 7 days on a bike and a couple days of travel.

2018 AFT Schedule announced:

Complete 2018 American Flat Track Schedule:

March 15: DAYTONA TT – Daytona International Speedway, Daytona Beach, Florida
April 7: Atlanta Short Track – Dixie Speedway, Woodstock, Georgia
April 28: Texas Half-Mile – Texas Motor Speedway, Fort Worth, Texas
May 5: Calistoga Half-Mile – Calistoga Speedway, Calistoga, California
May 12: Arizona Mile – Turf Paradise, Phoenix, Arizona
May 19: Sacramento Mile – Cal Expo, Sacramento, California
May 27*: Springfield Mile I – Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, Illinois
June 2: Red Mile – Red Mile, Lexington, Kentucky
June 16: OKC Mile – Remington Park, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
June 30: Lima Half-Mile – Allen County Fairgrounds, Lima, Ohio
July 7: New York Short Track – Weedsport Speedway, Weedsport, New York
August 5: Buffalo Chip TT – Buffalo Chip Campgrounds, Sturgis, South Dakota
August 7: Black Hills Half-Mile – Black Hills Speedway, Rapid City, South Dakota
August 18: Peoria TT – Peoria Motorcycle Club, Peoria, Illinois
September 2*: Springfield Mile II – Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, Illinois
September 8: Williams Grove Half-Mile – Williams Grove Speedway, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
September 29: Minnesota Mile – Canterbury Park, Shakopee, Minnesota
October 6: Meadowlands Mile – Meadowlands Racing & Entertainment, East Rutherford, New Jersey

*Note: As in 2017, AFT Singles will race a TT at the Illinois State Fairgrounds in conjunction with Springfield Mile I on May 26 and a Short Track during the Labor Day Weekend as part of the Springfield Mile II event on September 1.

wait!

that means that The Calistoga 1/2-Mile is running the same day as The Quail......:thumbdown:mad

Racing bikes vs. parked bikes? The Quail is a cool event but come on.

Back