• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Flat Track Racing Mega Thread - INCLUDES SPOILERS!

Rumors are that Sammy has signed with factory HD. Anyone else heard more about this?

Shayna is racing Singles again in 2018 but not for RMR. Her new team/sponsors have not been announced.

Rumors are that Sammy has signed with factory HD. Anyone else heard more about this?

Shayna is racing Singles again in 2018 but not for RMR. Her new team/sponsors have not been announced.

Thanks, Steve. It seemed like Sammy was the only guy who was any threat at all to the Indians, and I hope HD can put something decent under him.

I am super excited about this!! :teeth

ShaynaFanChick

Coolbeth officially announced his long-rumored 2018 plans to race a privateer Indian.

http://www.americanflattrack.com/news/view/indian-ftr750-kenny-coolbeths-and-many-privateers-weapon-choice-2018

Five other privateers have confirmed they’ll be riding FTRs during 2018, including 2017 fifth-place finisher Jeffery Carver, Jr. (Roof Systems of Dallas, TX), Chad Cose (Indian Motorcycle of Oklahoma City), and Jay Maloney (Indian Motorcycle of Springfield, MA). Additionally, flat track TT master Henry Wiles and two-time Grand National Champion Jake Johnson (Estensen Racing) will ride Scouts intermittently this season. Another privateer may join their ranks in 2018, as well.

“We’re all pretty excited,” added Coolbeth. “I got the opportunity to hook up with Dave [Atherton] and John [Wise]. Everyone’s got the passion for this and it’s starting to come together; it’s been lots of work, doing everything from scratch, but we have it going now and it’s feeling good. We’ll have three FTRs for the season, two supplied by John [Wise] and a third from Lance Fox, who runs Columbia Avionics.

Bold added by me.

Vanderkooi's results might improve. :laughing He's not met expectations in the Twins class.

it sure looks like the “kids class” (450s) is getting swamped with ex-Twins rydaz.....

Wondering if the 450 class is evolving into something more like 600supersport in roadracing. Plenty of new racers but plenty of experienced racers without the budget to race the big class. Talent is awful deep in both classes. Should be an exciting year.

BTW, Dalton Gauthier is coming back to AFT racing on a Twin. More details are forthcoming. The kid is super talented. Really excited to see how he does on the big bike.

Last edited:
Hey, thx - that’s great news about (former) pothead DG, as he sure had the right stuff for Singles b4 his ‘mistake’

Dunno how he’ll fare on a Twin - we’ll see soon enuf

Waters Auto Body announces two rider team:
Wyatt Anderson racing both a Yamaha FZ-07 and KTM SuperDuke 990 (depending on the track) as he moves up to the Twins class for 2018. The team will also field Sandra Shipman in the Singles class aboard a KTM 450.

Here is 2018 Twins class team/rider/bike listing as of today (subject to change because this is how racing works).

Confirmed teams/riders/brands

Factory Indian Rogers Racing
Jared Mees

Factory Indian Howerton Racing
Bryan Smith
Brad Baker

Factory Harley Davidson
Brandon Robinson
Sammy Halbert
Jarod Vanderkooi

Zanotti Racing (unsupported Kawasaki)
Briar Bauman

Atherton (Privateer Indian)
Kenny Coolbeth

Carver's BBQ (Indian)
Jeffery Carver

Estenson Racing (Yamaha and Indian)
Jake Johnson

Indian Motorcycle of Springfield, Mass. (Indian)
Jay Maloney

Indian Motorcycle of Oklahoma City (Indian)
Chad Cose

PBR
Davis Fisher

Sammy-O Racing (Kawasaki)
James Monaco - Son of an Almond Farmer

Private effort (with Indian and maybe another brand)
Henry Wiles

Waters Auto Body (Yamaha FZ-07 and KTM SuperDuke 990)
Wyatt Anderson

TBA teams/riders/brands

Johnny Lewis

Bronson Bauman

Stevie Bonsey

Robert Pearson

Mikey Rush

Jake Shoemaker

Stephen Vanderkuur

Danny Eslick

J.R. Addison

Last edited:
Thx 4 summary; hoping younger Banman, Slick, & others find rides

Also really pleased with Cose’s rise as Fremont rider nears 10 yrs in Twins

Some of those racers may have a progam but I missed or haven't seen an announcement. Some of the smaller teams don't exactly have press departments so its hard to keep track of the entire grid. I'd be surprised if Bonsey, Eslick, Bronson Bauman or Pearson don't have something lined up.

I can't vouch for 100% accuracy of that list. There has been so much shuffling this off season, I wanted to try to keep track of who is where. I'm trying to post updates when official announcements show up on social media.

Last edited:
They've moved closer to a pure race motor this year with new DOHC heads

Yeah, and what makes me concerned about this and the Indian is that it makes it harder to put a competitive bike under a rider on reasonable budget.

Yeah, and what makes me concerned about this and the Indian is that it makes it harder to put a competitive bike under a rider on reasonable budget.

IF the private Indians are competitive with the factory bikes they are a bargain. This is the top pro level flat tracking racing, not Lodi Cyclebowl. The Bill Werner Kaw's I am sure have too that much $$$ in them.

Good point if you're considering the Yamaha or Kawi twins... but the Indian and the DOHC H-D are still gonna be cheaper to run than the rebuild-every-weekend XR750s and a few years ago the whole grid was filled with those.

Plus all those teams moving from XRs to Indians can probably pay a huge chunk of the cost for the new bikes by selling their XRs to collectors.

Last edited:
Cool... thanks for the low down.

I am another +1 on Harley making a storming show of it.

Always a soft spot for the privateer teams like Zanotti. I am sure they will have their moments with huge amounts of effort to make that happen.

Having Indian kick out bikes to the Privateers is going to make the racing better I am sure. Looking forward to a rocking '18. :party

Was chatting with Dave Z a couple of weeks ago. He said that he had a conversation with Jared Mees regarding the privateer Indians, and that while they can match the output of a factory bike, it ain't happening at base price. How fast do you want to spend?

Back