• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Flat Track Racing Mega Thread - INCLUDES SPOILERS!

Birds or bikes.....what's the problem? :twofinger

.....actually how about you go to the Quail and take pics of the same bikes and I will go watch the best of the best go elbow to elbow at 100mph and drink beer???.... :p

Could not resist sorry. Had to double down. :laughing

I know it is a screwed up situation for you guys.

What cha going to choose?

Racing bikes vs. parked bikes? The Quail is a cool event but come on.

wrong you are, Sir!

I've been attending GNCs for exactly 50 yrs,
so vintage [motos & racing] is my middle name

once The Quail selected me as a Judge [so far, Japanese only] the die was cast.....

since that event isn't over til 4pm, I just don't see how I can make 'stogie in time

I know you're a judge so you are committed.
I know you're a flat track historian.
I had to poke you Curt.

You got a job to do.
Enjoy it. :Port

I know you're a judge so you are committed.
I know you're a flat track historian.
I had to poke you Curt.

You got a job to do.
Enjoy it. :Port

True that - believe you me, I truly hope that I earned being selected & treat it as an unexpected reward, fruit from the tree for decades of service :afm199

Superprestigio update: Brad Baker had surgery he's been putting off for a few years and will miss Superprestigio due to recovery time. Flat Track Live is reporting on social media that Marc Marquez may not participate according to unnamed Spanish sources.

JD Beach announced he is going to Barcelona to race Superprestigio his year. I don't know who else from the U.S. is going. I'm assuming Mees. It would be great to Wiles or Bonsey or other short track experts get a chance.

Ditto. Some hard working American racers.

Good luck guys.

That's crazy MM isn't racing, considering it's basically his event.

Perhaps he didn't want to win a title without Baker racing? Or maybe the 27 crashes took their toll.

Clearly i missed the boat on this one w MM :/

looks like presigio is a one off event. looks like MM got "Rossi'd" by BB and there was a rivalry of sorts. Meh that track was small!!

Last edited:
Clearly i missed the boat on this one w MM :/

looks like presigio is a one off event. looks like MM got "Rossi'd" by BB and there was a rivalry of sorts. Meh that track was small!!

Super Prestigio* was not a one off, this will be the 4th since the restart of the event. Short track are small but great racing if the track is right. Who ever does the track there does not get enough credit. Last year was one of the smoothest and best tracks I have ever seen. I hope Marquez missing does not end this event.

*Established in 1979 by magazine publisher Jaime Alguersuari, Sr.[2] as Superprestigio Internacional Solo Moto.[3] Revived in 2014, and headlined by Marc Márquez, 2013, 2014, and 2016 MotoGP Champion and 2012 Moto2 Champion.[4] [5] The race has been held its new venue, Palau Sant Jordi,[6] three times: January 11, 2014,[7] December 13, 2014,[8] and December 13, 2015.[9] Superprestigio Dirt Track IV on December 17, 2016.

Sammy Halbert is at the ranch for a few days. I guess this random bike was available because VR46 was racing the Monza Rally this weekend.

Screen%20Shot%202017-12-03%20at%203.56.52%20PM.png

Hope Sammy is going to the Super Prestigio.

I think Sammy is at Rossi's ranch for a while. CycleNews reported a week or so ago that Mees may be the third rider. Seems like the third rider would have been announced by now. Speaking of CycleNews...

The December 5th issue of CycleNews has part one of a two part interview with AFT CEO Michael Lock. Waiting for part two before I share my valuable insights. :laughing

http://magazine.cyclenews.com/i/912289-cycle-news-issue-48-december-5-2017

New track for Daytona TT. Looks much better than last year.

FB link

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 11.38.22 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 11.38.22 AM.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 39
The big turns are wider but I'm not sure they will be much faster. That little kink is still likely to make for one line racing. I'd prefer to see the right turn be an arc rather than such a sharp angle.

The December 5th issue of CycleNews has part one of a two part interview with AFT CEO Michael Lock. Waiting for part two before I share my valuable insights. :laughing

http://magazine.cyclenews.com/i/912289-cycle-news-issue-48-december-5-2017

http://magazine.cyclenews.com/i/914766-cycle-news-issue-49-december-12-2017/0?m4=

Part 2 of 2 from the CycleNews interview with AFT CEO Michael Lock. He's got some good ideas but he's still stuck on TV when live streaming is obviously killing TV. I think Lock has done some good things but he also needs to realize he's in the right place at the right time:

- Indian wanted to spend money and only has HD to worry about. If the Japanese manufacturers got serious about FT, it would be a whole different animal. Maybe better. Maybe not.
- Social media and access to high quality live streaming at the touch of a button is the best thing that could happen to a sport like Flat Track.
- Easy FREE access to the sport and its participants via social media and free live streaming have been just as important to the resurgence of the sport as Indian or HD. Maybe more so. He didn't address social media at all which is a mistake. Its a great way to keep people interested between races and promote personalities in the sport.

AFT is going the right direction and I'm excited but I'm guessing they still aren't half way to where they need to be. When more riders can make it to every event and get paid, then they will be making real progress.

Thoughts?

http://magazine.cyclenews.com/i/914766-cycle-news-issue-49-december-12-2017/0?m4=

Part 2 of 2 from the CycleNews interview with AFT CEO Michael Lock. He's got some good ideas but he's still stuck on TV when live streaming is obviously killing TV. I think Lock has done some good things but he also needs to realize he's in the right place at the right time:

- Indian wanted to spend money and only has HD to worry about. If the Japanese manufacturers got serious about FT, it would be a whole different animal. Maybe better. Maybe not.
- Social media and access to high quality live streaming at the touch of a button is the best thing that could happen to a sport like Flat Track.
- Easy FREE access to the sport and its participants via social media and free live streaming have been just as important to the resurgence of the sport as Indian or HD. Maybe more so. He didn't address social media at all which is a mistake. Its a great way to keep people interested between races and promote personalities in the sport.

AFT is going the right direction and I'm excited but I'm guessing they still aren't half way to where they need to be. When more riders can make it to every event and get paid, then they will be making real progress.

Thoughts?

The idea of the entire AFT circus packing everything into containers and going over to race during the IoM TT pretty much blew my mind. I hope they can pull that off.

I think his interest in TV comes from the opportunity to draw in new fans... streaming is great for people who are already into FT but there's not much marketing outreach there.

Back