• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Flat Track Racing Mega Thread - INCLUDES SPOILERS!

Was chatting with Dave Z a couple of weeks ago. He said that he had a conversation with Jared Mees regarding the privateer Indians, and that while they can match the output of a factory bike, it ain't happening at base price. How fast do you want to spend?

of course, yer correct - OTOH, didn’t Johnny Lewis podium on an outta-da-box Injun @ an end-of-season Twins points race?

regardless - if ya wanna play, youse gots ta pay.....

I’m with budman - ‘18 could well be a super-duper AFT Twins season

I think some Indian privateers are going to be very disappointed. The FTR750 is clearly a great platform but its not magic. Its a great platform with Jared Mees, Bryan Smith and Brad Baker riding the bikes. And its its not like Kenny Tolbert or Ricky Howerton are just pouring gas in the tanks and wiping off the number plates. Indian's 2017 success was the bike, the riders and the teams.

As long as there are racers, there will be no cure for If-I-had-that-bike-itis.

For sure but reality or excuses for it will set in.
I understand that the FTRs are about as close to factory bike you can get. Much like the TZ750’s back in the day.

I predict a few on the podium and likely a win or two.

For sure but reality or excuses for it will set in.
I understand that the FTRs are about as close to factory bike you can get. Much like the TZ750’s back in the day.

I predict a few on the podium and likely a win or two.

Coolbeth at Springfield.

I think the private FTRs will win a few. More likely they will follow the factory bikes. This is mainly because Jared Mees, Bryan Smith, and Brad Baker will be riding them.

$50K is a lot of money. But I have seen the amount spent keeping XR750's running. $50K for a competitive bike that stays together is cheap.

I'm just glad to see a bunch of different brands mixing it up again, like back in the day. It was a snoozefest when it was all XR750s.

Fanschoice.TV is streaming the Salem, OR Indoor Flat Track race live tonight at starting at 4:30 PST. Baker and Halbert, among others, are racing.

Thanks... MIL's BDAY so I will have to catch up to it.

The FT mega thread covers more than AFT and other big events. Plenty of good flat track locally.

Western Flat Track (formerly California Flat Track Assn.) has posted their 2018 schedule (see below). First race is this Sunday at Prairie City SVRA just southeast of Sacramento. Sorry for the huge pic.

2018-cfta-schedule-web.jpg

Last edited:
San Jose Indoor is Saturday, April 14 this year which is about two weeks later than usual, IIRC. I always have a work conflict and never attend this race. Maybe, this year.

2018 Super Hooligans schedule below. Round 1 was last weekend at the Salem Indoor. Most of the races are in California with the exception of the AFT Buffalo Chip TT, the X-Games and the awesome Dirt Quake event at Castle Rock in WA.

Notable new events are 1) a short track listed the night before the Sacramento Mile but I'm not sure if this is the traditional event at Lodi or some one-off which the Hooligans like to do; and 2) Battle on the Bay Aug. 17-19 at Pier 32 in San Francisco. Will post more when I dig up some details.

Attachments

• 2018_Hooligan_schedule.png
    2018_Hooligan_schedule.png
    134.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I have changed all the times to Pacific. Mark your calendars this is a Thursday.

Daytona TT AFT Thursday, March 15
Note: Times adjusted to Pacific time. Scroll to view full information.

10:00 am Gates Open for Fans
11:00 am AFT Singles AFT Singles Practice 1
11:20 am AFT Twins presented by Vance & Hines AFT Twins Practice 1
11:40 am AFT Singles AFT Singles Qualifying 1
12:00 noon AFT Twins presented by Vance & Hines AFT Twins Qualifying 1
12:20 pm AFT Singles AFT Singles Qualifying 2
12:40 pm AFT Twins presented by Vance & Hines AFT Twins Qualifying 2
1:30 pm Rider Autograph Session / Open Paddock
3:00 pm Opening Ceremonies
3:30 pm AFT Singles AFT Singles Heat 1
3:35 pm AFT Singles AFT Singles Heat 2
3:40 pm AFT Singles AFT Singles Heat 3
3:45 pm Intermission
3:55 pm AFT Twins presented by Vance & Hines AFT Twins Heat 1
4:00 pm AFT Twins presented by Vance & Hines AFT Twins Heat 2
4:05 pm AFT Twins presented by Vance & Hines AFT Twins Heat 3
4:10 pm Intermission
4:20 pm AFT Singles AFT Singles Semi 1
4:27 pm AFT Singles AFT Singles Semi 2
4:34 pm Intermission
4:44 pm AFT Twins presented by Vance & Hines AFT Twins Semi 1
4:52 pm AFT Twins presented by Vance & Hines AFT Twins Semi 2
5:00 pm Intermission
5:10 pm AFT Singles AFT Singles Race 1 (15 Laps)
5:10 pm AFT Singles Main Intro
5:40 pm AFT Twins Main Intro
6:00 pm AFT Twins presented by Vance & Hines AFT Twins Race 1 (25 Laps)

Notable new events are 1) a short track listed the night before the Sacramento Mile but I'm not sure if this is the traditional event at Lodi or some one-off which the Hooligans like to do...

It's not Lodi. Just talked to SDI Racing—it's at Big Time Speedway.

Awesome! Love that track. Gonna be a handful on those bikes but should be a great show.

Awesome! Love that track. Gonna be a handful on those bikes but should be a great show.

I was just at the One Pro in Salem. Talk about a handful. The "straights" are like two bike-lengths.

I hope Lodi MC keeps the date and can get some extra sponsor $$. SDI racing is stepping on a race Lodi has run for years. If the race is at Big Time Speedway race I will boycott it and ask others to do the same. Lodi MC has kept FT racing going in CA for years. This race is a big part of their profit for the year.

I hope Lodi MC keeps the date and can get some extra sponsor $$. SDI racing is stepping on a race Lodi has run for years. If the race is at Big Time Speedway race I will boycott it and ask others to do the same. Lodi MC has kept FT racing going in CA for years. This race is a big part of their profit for the year.

I don't know the whole story, but I don't think SDI cooked up the Super Hooligans at Big Time thing. It sounded to me like it was presented to them, rather than the other way around.

I don't know the whole story, but I don't think SDI cooked up the Super Hooligans at Big Time thing. It sounded to me like it was presented to them, rather than the other way around.

To me, it does not matter one way of the other. Lodi and other AMA Dist 36 clubs have had their scheduled races stepped on by the WFT association. I belong to the Stockton MC and we lost money when the CFTA now WFT stepped on our date after the schedule was out. They were invited to the dates meeting. Time for the AMA clubs to step up and do something. I will be writing the sponsors of the race telling them my thoughts. I will also be calling for a boycott of the race. I know hard to fight big money but will social media all I can.

I am waiting to hear from Lodi MC on what they will be doing.

Back