• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Flat Track Racing Mega Thread - INCLUDES SPOILERS!

Never been to the Perris facility. Anybody been there??

Bummer on Calistoga. Enjoyed it.

Sac here I come.

Cool and Smith and the Kawi. :thumbup
Back to the future :party

Finally watched the Minnesota Mile.

What a bummer for Briar :wow

He was hauling the mail!!!

Mees too really. First and second DNF...? I don't think I have ever seen that without a crash involved.

Finally watched the Minnesota Mile.

What a bummer for Briar :wow

He was hauling the mail!!!

Mees too really. First and second DNF...? I don't think I have ever seen that without a crash involved.

Daytona 1970. Hailwood broke, then Nixon broke and Dick Mann own. I know not a flat track but was an AMA GN race in 1970.

OK, I'll play:

didn't similar [greater?] mechanical carnage occur in '71 as well?

Last edited:
Daytona 1970. Hailwood broke, then Nixon broke and Dick Mann own. I know not a flat track but was an AMA GN race in 1970.

Cool. You saw that??

Or read it.?? :twofinger.

If you saw it. :hail

If you read it I am playing my Mr. Literal card. :teeth

There is a great, Kevin Cameron piece in the current issue of CW about the BSA that Mann used to win in 1971. In it, Cameron highlights the events of both 1970 and 1971.

the [according to POTUS] losing, inaccurate New York Times gets dirty in Jersey:

Saturday Night Bikes

".....This Saturday night event was the debut for motorcycle racing on the Meadowlands track, drawing about 8,700 spectators. According to the organizers, it was also the first time that professional flat trackers have competed in the New York metro area....."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/19/sports/flat-track-motorcycle-racing-meadowlands.html

Thanks for the link! :cool

Best thing is they are going to back the Meadowlands next year. That was a great track right next to a huge media market / population center(s). Even a sliver of attention there is a huge deal.

Just finished watching the final two races. AFT is awesome racing. I'm glad they moved or cancelled Calistoga. No hotels available during grape harvest season. Whoever originally planned that event at that time of year must not have known that you can't get a hotel near by for less than $300 a night during harvest (and unfortunately, fire) season.

I hope they reschedule it to a time of the year that can support fans attending the event.

Last edited:
Just finished watching the final two races. AFT is awesome racing. I'm glad they moved or cancelled Calistoga. No hotels available during grape harvest season. Whoever originally planned that event at that time of year must not have known that you can't get a hotel near by for less than $300 a night during harvest (and unfortunately, fire) season.

well, I'm super sad that 'stoga is out as a 2019 venue

that said, rooms in/nearby are always spendy -
Tuono Joice & I decided during awesome 2010 inaugural event
[go Stevie Bonsey!] to designate our future AFT weekends
there as hi-$$, 2-nite/3-day vacas in a great area

we enjoyed repeated good times there over the past years -
oh, well.....

I hope they reschedule it to a time of the year that can support fans attending the event.

:confused The last two times I recall attending it was in the spring (fire year excluded, obviously). It was in May this year, and I don't think the harvest was happening then. :dunno

JD Beach goes full time with AFT for 2019 aboard Estenson Racing MT-07.

Really pumped to see what JD can do racing AFT full time. Hope Estenson can make the Yamaha competitive. With Johnson, Carlile and Beach maybe they will get enough feedback to make some progress against the Indians.

Yamaha... kind of cool.

Kill it JD!!!

JD Beach goes full time with AFT for 2019 aboard Estenson Racing MT-07.

this great news sure had me smiling -
next came the memories:

back in The Golden Age of the AMA ship (early ‘70s-late ‘80s)
a variety of (often-funky) pavement & numerous dirt trax
dictated a jack-of-all-trades path to the #1 plate -
an unmatched number of racers made a (barely) decent living

by the time the Haydens came up, King Kenny famously told Earl
that FT was a dead end & to put his trio atop road racers -
their salaries, earned battling Duhamel/Mladin/Spies, were high

today, in its very modest way, AFT offers genuine opportunities -
mebbe beyond those currently available in MotoAmerica

only time (& barferz buying tix & attending races!) will tell.....

offhand, there do seem to be more paying rides in AFT than MA right now. its interesting that the money has swung the other direction.

this great news sure had me smiling -
next came the memories:

back in The Golden Age of the AMA ship (early ‘70s-late ‘80s)
a variety of (often-funky) pavement & numerous dirt trax
dictated a jack-of-all-trades path to the #1 plate -
an unmatched number of racers made a (barely) decent living

by the time the Haydens came up, King Kenny famously told Earl
that FT was a dead end & to put his trio atop road racers -
their salaries, earned battling Duhamel/Mladin/Spies, were high

today, in its very modest way, AFT offers genuine opportunities -
mebbe beyond those currently available in MotoAmerica

only time (& barferz buying tix & attending races!) will tell.....

That was an era when Honda invested a lot of money in not only flat tracking, but more so in road racing. There were so many factory support riders on the grids and then in '85 when Honda released a 250GP bike.

It also didn't hurt that the USA was producing riders who could compete at the World level so many were working hard to find that next rider to win the National Championship.

Contingency money was at an all time high and road racing had the AMA and WERA producing top notch National series.

Present day, the last 3 years AFT has done a great job of reaching out to the populous and motivating folks to get back out into the stands. Much of this was in part due to many old timers really putting the effort in behind the scenes to get folks out without compensation.

Also Triumph, Ducati, Kawasaki, Indian and now Yamaha involvement, helped to break the Harley, Harley, Harley blah blah blah perception.

Back