• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Flat Track Racing Mega Thread - INCLUDES SPOILERS!

^^^^OMG!!!^^^^^

I first saw her race some years back at Calistoga. She didn't win that night, but she was in a knock down, drag out battle for second in which she prevailed, and I swear I've never seen such a badass racer! Yeah, I'm a fan.

Me and one of my little ones will be in Sacramento this year. Gonna be a blast.

Racer updates:

Brandon Robinson has left the factory Harley Davidson team to join Kennedy Racing for 2019 which where he will race an FTR750.

Jeff Ward (yes, MX god Wardy) will race a KTM 450 in selected AFT TT and Half Mile events during the 2019 season.

Wardy...! No shit. In his later 50's now.. and still a bad ass no doubt!

Dude has been and likely still is awesome.

Wardy is still damn fast on a Supermoto. After Ryan Sipes cleaned up the Singles class at the Buffalo Chip TT last year, there is a lot of interest in the Singles class from racers outside AFT.

The Moto Talbott museum in Carmel is having a Flat Track race bike display, Sunday, March 10 from 11:00am to 5:00pm

4 East Carmel Valley RD. Carmel, CA

Anyone desperate for some FT racing tonight but finding the couch very comfy can tune into the Facebook live stream for the Winter Throwdown in Florida promoted by Cory Texter. A number of AFT pros are racing tonight.

https://www.facebook.com/CoryTexter/videos/215764645977237/

Upcoming events before the AFT season starts are Flatout Friday, Feb 15, a paved indoor in Milwaukee and the indoor short track that is part of the One Motorcycle Show in early Feb. I believe both will be streamed on Fanschoice.TV. Will post more details when I have them.

Hi Steve,

I'm thinking about getting tix to Sac for May. Are there any viewing restrictions ( awning stantions etc.) that I might want to know about? Never been there, but want good seats. Thanx for any intel!

Short version.

No views restricted by canopies. The extreme south end of the Grandstand (Turf Club seating) has some restricted view due to large glass partition at that end of the grandstand. All other seating offers good views and easy access to concessions and bathrooms. There are good restaurants within a few blocks of the fairgrounds so you have plenty of dining options though most aren't open after the racing ends (10:30pm).

CalExpo has plenty of parking available but be prepared for the extra $10/car parking fee. Its been so long since I rode to the Mile I forget if motos pay for parking. When meeting someone at the track, we meet at the shopping mall across the street and take one car to the fairgrounds to save everyone paying for parking.

Long version.

There are reserved grandstand, box seats and Turf Club, some bleachers way down toward the exit of Turn 4 and Standing Room Only.

The reserved seats in the main grandstand at CalExpo offer very good views. Closer to start/finish is best because the podium is right on the infield there as is the jumbotron and, of course, you can witness spectacular finishes as the top three in are usually separated by less than a tenth of a second at the checkers. The grandstand sits high above the track so you have a decent view of the back straight as well which is great for drafting battles.

I had Turf Club tickets twice. Its nice because you have good food (relative to most fairgrounds) included, two bars and nice-ish seating. Some of the tables have video monitors so you see the same video feed that is shown on the jumbotron. The view is best if you are seated on the lowest section of the Turf Club grandstands.

There is a large glass (or maybe lexan) partition on the south end of the upper grandstands which is where the Turf Club is situated. The partition is transparent and blocks the wind. Great if its a cool evening. Bad if its hot because the partition blocks the breeze. In late May, evening temps in Sacramento can vary between upper 50s (as in 2016) or mid 90s (2017) . The Turf Club bar and restaurant area is air conditioned but the grand stand seating area is not. It does cool off significantly after the sun goes down. The Turf Club is not traditional grandstands or even stadium seats but tables and plastic chairs. The tables are two-seats and four seats and the fours are pretty tight for four adults.

Box seats were disappointing for me. You pay a lot to get crammed into a box that should hold four people but is filled with eight people on plastic folding chairs. The view was great but the seating was uncomfortable and cheek-to-jowl so I can't recommend paying for box seats.

Aside from the Turf Club, food and drink is very expensive for mediocre burgers, hot dogs, etc. There is a large shopping and commercial area (Arden Fair Mall) a few blocks from CalExpo with a good variety of restaurants and bars. Be prepared to walk a bit from the CalExpo parking lot to grandstand and climb a few flights of stairs to reach grandstand seating. The grandstand faces east so if its hot, you won't roast in direct sunlight all evening.

I've had bleacher seats, reserved grandstand, reserved box seats, Turf Club and SRO going to the Sac Mile since the early '90s. I prefer to watch standing on the concrete apron in front of the grandstands though you are standing for several hours I just like being closer to the action. YMMV.

The Mile is a great event with fantastic racing. I recommend doing the infield fan walk as access to teams and racers is great. The paddock is also open after the Twins main event which is another opportunity to see racers, bikes and teams up close.

Thanks a million for the great information Steve!

The One Pro Race indoor short track (part of the The1Moto show in Portland) will be live streamed on FansChoice.tv on Saturday, Feb 9, from 6-9pm PST. Don't expect high quality production, just one or two cameras and a mic to capture the PA system. I watched this last year. Some pretty good racing in the Pro and Hooligan classes.

Yeah, well I'm stuck at my desk today. :laughing

Kawasaki announced their 2019 team green contingency programs today including AFT. The Twins contingency is essentially all going to Bryan Smith. They are paying fairly decent money in both the Production Twins class and the Singles class including a $10,000 bonus for the Singles championship which is double the Team Green championship bonus for either Twins class. KTM will probably win the Singles championship but its interesting to see Kawasaki tossing out some incentives for the 450 racers.

More interesting is their contingency payout for the Production Twins class. That class will probably be 95% Kawasaki engines. They will likely to pay every dollar of that contingency and they know it so that's a solid contribution to AFT beyond supporting the Howerton/Smith effort in the top class. Good for the sport.

Last edited:
Barely Flat Track related but that is enough for this post. :laughing

Custom bike shop Deus built a CR500 street tracker for Dani Pedrosa that is freakin' cool.

Full story and more pics at BikeEXIF.com

dani-pedrosa-motorcycle.jpg

dani-pedrosa-motorcycle-9.jpg

Last edited:
Back