• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Flat Track Racing Mega Thread - INCLUDES SPOILERS!

Bauman finished last season as the hottest property in AFT and he's just got hotter all winter. He's in a great place with a great team. Salinas keep delivering great flat track racers.

Those Yamahas weren't giving up any power to the Indians on the pavement. Vanderkooi had his Harely working really good. We know Smith's Kawasaki will deliver on the Half Miles and Miles. The Singles class should also be super competitive...unless Gauthier goes on a tear. Its going to be a great year in AFT.

The Atlanta Short Track is this Saturday night, the 23rd. Free Live Streaming on FansChoice.TV or the American Flat Track Facebook page.

The Singles class has about 60 entries again this week. I'm really excited to see how Dalton Gauthier does against such stacked field.

25 Entries for the Twins class. Will Mees, Smith and Beach get their seasons back on track after Daytona? Can anyone catch Briar Bauman? Is Henry Wiles going to put together another super consistent season?

All times Pacific:

Noon - Practice and Qualifying starts

2:30pm - Heat Races

4:15pm - Semifinal Races

5:10pm - AFT Singles Main Event

5:40pm - AFT Twins Main Event

[edited].....Free Live Streaming on FansChoice.TV or the American Flat Track Facebook page.....

technical Q - is watching AFT races on FB any better than streaming?
while FC has improved greatly, it still spools occasionally online

thx

The Facebook feed can be more consistent but its not guaranteed. I think the issues depend more on the venue rather than the platform the viewer uses but I don't have any facts to back that up.

Streaming is really complicated. Problems can arise from the origin of the streamcast or at any point in between their servers, a huge network of routers managing traffic and your own ISP. I can have problems all with the stream all night and someone a few miles away with a different ISP will have hours of flawless viewing. I wish I had a better answer but thats all I got. :nerd

That was fun! :party

A couple of questions/thoughts:

• Why do the singles run front fenders but the twins don't?
  • Not a question, but I'm so impressed that with all those entries, a Brit managed to make the main for the second race in a row. Yorkshire, represent!
  • What has changed with HD? Will their improved pace hold when the tracks get longer?
  • So pleased to see Brandon on the top step.

• Not a question, but I'm so impressed that with all those entries, a Brit managed to make the main for the second race in a row. Yorkshire, represent!
  • What has changed with HD? Will their improved pace hold when the tracks get longer?

Singles have been allowed to run fenders for several years. For 2019, AFT mandated that all Singles must run a supermoto-style front fender. I don't know the reason but I'm guessing its to a) further differentiate the Singles and Twins classes for the very casual fan and b) to make the Singles look more like MX bikes as a nod to the manufacturers (KTM/Husk , Honda. Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki) who are now putting some decent money into the series either directly or via contingency $$. AFT wants the Twins to look like traditional flat track bikes so no fenders on the big bikes.

Oliver Brindley has been racing AFT since I think 2015 when he was 16 years Old. He's fast and should really shine this season now that he's on the well-funded Roof Systems team.

Vance&Hines HD supposedly started over this winter and built completely new bikes and engines in an effort to improve their results. Vanderkooi, a former Singles champ, is also riding really well. I'm glad to see HD showing well but we won't know for sure whats the new XG's potential is until the big tracks. Brandon Robinson's victory tonight showed how much the XG platform had been holding him back the last two years.

Robinson has always been fast but has been dragging around anchors like the Triumph or HD for too many years. One great thing the flood of customer Indians did was reveal how deep the field is. Private teams on Indians can grab wins and podiums regularly.

I think Mees clinched the championship at the September Springfield race last season (where Smith won by 0.013). Mees hasn't won a race since the Black Hills Half Mile on August 7th and he just barely beat Carver at that one. Tonight makes seven races without a Mees victory. Thats a big change in AFT from the previous 18 months and really good for the series. No way am I counting Mees out, just saying he's got to work a lot harder to get wins now.

Last edited:

while I sure don’t pretend to have all (any?) of the answers, here goes:

(1) Singles run front fenders bcz AFT wants to underline their assertion that anyone can take a MXer from the dealer to the track & be competitive
(2) true that, plus the occasional Aussie or Spaniard, as well
(3) never write off a Vance&Hines effort - they’ve repeatedly dominated drag racing & screwed Ducati SBKs together quite well enough in AMA, too - Harley has lotsa wounded pride in FT the past 2 yrs & they really wanna be a factor once again
(4) me, too - on top of being a great guy & competitive racer, BR44 has come back from terrible injuries to hook up once again with his top tuner, Brent Armbruster, & local (San Jose) trucking honcho/team owner Jerry Kennedy to field competitive privateer machines (formerly XR750s, now Injuns)

==========================================

my 2-cents:

letz hear it for Worm, Larry Pegram, who made the main again (the 2nd time outta 2 this season), finishing 8th on his privateer, Lloyd Bros Injun!! - ol’ #72 won AMA Nationals 20+ yrs ago on dirt (XR750) & pave (Fast by Ferraci Ducati), had his own TV show based on more recent AMA Pro SBK efforts, & has been a very effective Injun Factory sub rider

GO Larry !!

Last edited:
Some behind-the-scenes video from the Daytona TT:

[youtube]1M32ZvZqysI[/youtube]

Out here @ http://azbikeweek.com short track races.

Air conditioned indoor horse arena, up close viewing, good cushion track surface, minimal ruts.

This pix is of the "no brake class" including a old tank shifting scout and three other framers, two two strokes, and a honda.

That scout very well ridden, ran off and left the rest.

More racing Sat & Sun

Attachments

• IMG_1763.jpg
    IMG_1763.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 44
Woohoo! Flat Track documentary coming out this fall.

https://binged.it/2GidZ0s

Can't embed for some reason. Link to goes to a trailer posted on Vimeo.

Last edited:
J&P Cycles "Day in the Life" of the Indian AFT team (just the Baumans) at the Daytona TT.

[youtube]xdbMSHSYtOE[/youtube]

The meat of the AFT season is starting this week with Texas Half Mile on Saturday, April 20th. Eight events between now and June 15th. There is a race about every other week (or less) from now until the end of September.

Remember big Sacramento Mile weekend has something for everyone:
Friday May 17: Night before the Mile at Lodi
Saturday May 18: AFT Sacramento Mile
Sunday May 19th: Amateur Mile at Sacramento

AFT Events

Sacramento Mile Tickets

Nice profile of the Crosley Howerton / Bryan Smith AFT effort posted on the AFT website. This is part 2 of 2 but both parts worth reading.

Just 48 hours until bikes are on track at the Texas Half Mile.

Texas Half Mile today. New surface. Looks like a cushion at the moment but it might groove up. FREE Live Streaming on FansChoice.TV and on the AFT Facebook page.

Three classes today as its the first race of the season for the Production Twins class. Singles racers are eligible to race both Production Twins and Singles. Production Twins are framers which only use production-based engines so mostly Kawasaki twins and Yamahas - no FTR750, No XG750R RevX and No XR750. The Production Twins class is an intermediate step between Singles and the premier Twins class.

EDIT: Times were wrong

All Times Pacific
Noon: Practice
1:10 Qualifying

2:35 Heats for AFT Singles class

3:20 Prod Twins Semis
4:00 Singles Semis
4:20 Twins Semis

4:40 Prod Twins Main
6:10 Singles Main
6:40 Twins Main

Last edited:
The track is looking good, on FB.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 8.14.14 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 8.14.14 AM.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 125
Edited my post above. Had the time wrong.

Anyone watching? Shayna Texter's heat race was all highlight reel.

Anyone watching? Shayna Texter's heat race was all highlight reel.

Just got home and turned it back on. Missed Shayna heat race, :mad will have to watch the recording next week.

Just got home and turned it back on. Missed Shayna heat race, :mad will have to watch the recording next week.

You can probably still catch it rolling back through the Facebook live stream, you have an FB account.

Back