• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Flat Track Racing Mega Thread - INCLUDES SPOILERS!

I wish I knew. HD trying get the youngest riders out for an exhibition at the X-Games is a step in the right direction but hard to compete against the various freestyle MX disciplines. Maybe if they had a cushion track and so it would make auto drifting look lame in comparison (as if auto drifting needs any help looking lame).

I hear you on the demographic. When GNC returned to NorCal with Calistoga in 2010 (?), I surveyed the crowd and remarked to a friend that the demographic was "white guys over age 45 with grey hair and white over 45 who used to have grey hair." :laughing

Its an uphill battle if they can't tie the bikes to the manufacturers. The OEM distributors in the US want to race what they sell which is obvious from the rise of production racing in the last 20+ years in road bikes and SX/MX. How do you tie the brand to the framers? How do you get Yamaha and Kawasaki to spend some real money on FT? I don't know.

I agree that once someone attends, they are hooked. Hun, I met you and budman briefly at the Salinas event in 2011. Luckett introduced us. I think budman caught the fever that day. That was a cool event but failed promotion and racing on Easter Sunday doomed it. Seems like inconsistent promoters are also hurting flat track, just as the guy from Lloyd Brothers stated in his Facebook opinion piece last spring.

Last edited:
Its an uphill battle if they can't tie the bikes to the manufacturers. The OEM distributors in the US want to race what they sell which is obvious from the rise of production racing in the last 20+ years in road bikes and SX/MX. How do you tie the brand to the framers? How do you get Yamaha and Kawasaki to spend some real money on FT? I don't know.

Back in the day (I'm talking Class C now) most of the top bikes were effectively "framers", but I don't recall hearing that term back then. It seemed like everyone who was fast on a Triumph or BSA was running a Champion or Trackmaster frame, and yet the factories were behind it. Maybe that's because a Triumph in a Trackmaster still looked like a Triumph. I'm obviously a Kawasaki fan, but Bryan Smith's bike looks nothing like anything you'll find in a showroom. Is that the limiter? It seems like the only factory besides HD who cares much is Triumph, but that care isn't reflected in results.

In the singles class, I thought they were just shortening the suspension, and running 19" wheels. Are the frames aftermarket too? It seems like an easier leap from track to showroom there.

In any event, factory involvement would help. The new FZ-7 might be a good alternative to the Kawasaki, which has proven to be a reasonable alternative to the XR.

The current singles are MX frames. They change the geometry and do some engine work to make them last at WFO in addition to the changes you mentioned.

Yamaha has handed out some FZ-07 engines and I think one or two teams are developing them. No word yet on any real dollars or even contingency from brand Y.

2015 AMA Pro Flat Track schedule confirmed race dates announced. California races in bold.

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (November 21, 2014) - AMA Pro Racing is pleased to announce 12 confirmed events on the 2015 AMA Pro Flat Track schedule. In addition to the events listed below, AMA Pro Racing is currently negotiating with four additional venues and intends to announce the complete 16-race calendar in the near future.

Full text at this link:
http://amaproracing.com/ft/news/index.cfm?cid=61836

Confirmed Dates on the 2015 AMA Pro Flat Track Schedule
March 12: DAYTONA Flat Track I, Daytona Beach, Fla.
March 13: DAYTONA Flat Track II, Daytona Beach, Fla.
May 24: Springfield Mile I, Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, Ill.
May 30: Sacramento Mile, Cal Expo Fairgrounds, Sacramento, Calif.
June 20: Hagerstown Half-Mile, Hagerstown Speedway, Hagerstown, Md.
June 27: Lima Half-Mile, Allen County Fairgrounds, Lima, Ohio
August 1: Castle Rock TT, Mt. St. Helens Motorcycle Club, Castle Rock, Wash.
August 4: Black Hills Half-Mile, Black Hills Speedway, Rapid City, S.D.
August 16: Peoria TT, PMC Race Park, Peoria, Ill.
September 6: Springfield Mile II, Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, Ill.
October 3: Calistoga Half-Mile, Calistoga Speedway, Calistoga, Calif.
October 10: Flat Track Season Finale, LA County Fairplex, Pomona, Calif.

Good to see Pomona will make it another year.

yeah, I suspected the ole flimflam when "the last ever at the Fairplex" stuff began,
yet am glad to see its continuance

I have & will attend any & all "Nationals"

2 in NorCal & 1 down south -
wonder where the next 4 might be.....?

Last edited:
The end of May might make Sac work for me. :party Calistoga in October? :Port

I agree that once someone attends, they are hooked. Hun, I met you and budman briefly at the Salinas event in 2011. Luckett introduced us. I think budman caught the fever that day. That was a cool event but failed promotion and racing on Easter Sunday doomed it. Seems like inconsistent promoters are also hurting flat track, just as the guy from Lloyd Brothers stated in his Facebook opinion piece last spring.

actually I caught the fever in 1970... indoor FT at the Cow Palace... Mert, Kenny, Mashburn, Kenyon... etc.. really enjoyed it. Actually have some pics of Mert in a pile up when he was number one. Then ON ANY SUNDAY came out and I was hooked on Moto's for life. It is all Bruce Browns fault. :laughing

San Jose Mile beyond that.. once we were old enough to drive ourselves and not be just a tag along to a friends Dad that enjoyed it.

I was stoked to see Calistoga back.. FT back on the West Coast and just like you I looked around Calistoga and thought.. wow.. I am median age here.

I invited Kurt to catch the fever.... he did that well. :thumbup :teeth

Getting the next gen in is going to be hard as long as the races are not televised. A "Faster" movie for FT could help. Certainly the SP is getting some attention from GP fans and they are all over the board on age.

I forgot we met.. damn.. I am old! :afm199

Update on the Superprestigio

".....There will be racing in three different classes: the Superprestigio class, for riders from an asphalt and road racing background; the Open class, for riders with flat track and other off-road backgrounds; and a junior class, for riders up to 18 years of age......

.....More information about the event, as well as a full rider line up can be found on Superprestigio website, DTX Barcelona....."

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/superprestigio-flat-track-update/

Update on the Superprestigio

".....There will be racing in three different classes: the Superprestigio class, for riders from an asphalt and road racing background; the Open class, for riders with flat track and other off-road backgrounds; and a junior class, for riders up to 18 years of age......

.....More information about the event, as well as a full rider line up can be found on Superprestigio website, DTX Barcelona....."

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/superprestigio-flat-track-update/

Marky Marc doesn't want to be bumped by a flat tracker again :laughing

but what about Shayna & Mikey Martin.....?

Brandon Robinson on Latus Triumph for 2015 AMA Pro GNC

"......Managing the team once again will be former AMA Grand National Champion Joe Kopp. “I had the opportunity to ride the Triumphs quite a few times this year, so I feel like I know what type of rider is needed to make the Triumphs work best,” said Kopp. “I think Brandon fits that slot perfectly. With Brandon’s riding style and watching just what he does to make a bike work underneath him makes me very excited for the 2015 season to begin. And to bring our new mechanic Brent Armbruster on board to help with the fine tuning of things is just another huge asset to our program ....."

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news...umph-in-2015-ama-pro-flat-track-championship/

Change in procedure for the setting front row of AMA Pro Flat Track mains via finishing order of the Dash for Cash. Dash now only pays one point for the winner and no points for other finishers.

Full press release at AMA Pro Flat Track website

For the 2015 season, the winner of the Dash for Cash will be awarded one championship point, but no other finishers will earn points for their performance. Instead, the starting lineup for the GNC1 main will be based on finishing position in the Dash.

Previously, the top five finishers in the six-rider Dash for Cash earned championship points, with five points awarded to the winner. The change in point distribution promises to keep championship battles even tighter as the season progresses.

this just in from a local pal RE: Troy Bayliss Classic this weeked:

".....I received an email back from one of Troy's guys.
They do not have high speed internet at the track,
so they cannot do a live broadcast.
They may be able to do a delayed telecast, Utube, etc.
....."

Back