• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

I want to run a marathon. (The running thread)

Atak Kat said:

Swam for about 30 minutes and then a spin class right after.

Speaking of spin classes, I have a quick question for you folks.

I did a lot of cardio for several months, just elliptical and treadmill for 45 minutes, 5 days per week. Lost about 20lbs in the process. I scaled back on the cardio and resumed weight training 3-4 days per week. After a few months, I gained about 8lbs, but I was leaner and stronger.

For the last 3 months, I've cut back on the weight training, but added a spin class 3X a week, 45 or 60 minutes per session with 15 minutes for Core exercises. Since I've added the cycling class, I've added another 8lbs. The guy who conducts the cycling class told me that my weight gain was due to the spin classes. Since I am taking in more air, my muscles are absorbing the oxygen.

As anyone heard of this? I've never heard anyone say that. But he is a very good trainer, as he trains some former pro atheltes who have retired.

RS250 Chester said:
Speaking of spin classes, I have a quick question for you folks.

I did a lot of cardio for several months, just elliptical and treadmill for 45 minutes, 5 days per week. Lost about 20lbs in the process. I scaled back on the cardio and resumed weight training 3-4 days per week. After a few months, I gained about 8lbs, but I was leaner and stronger.

For the last 3 months, I've cut back on the weight training, but added a spin class 3X a week, 45 or 60 minutes per session with 15 minutes for Core exercises. Since I've added the cycling class, I've added another 8lbs. The guy who conducts the cycling class told me that my weight gain was due to the spin classes. Since I am taking in more air, my muscles are absorbing the oxygen.

As anyone heard of this? I've never heard anyone say that. But he is a very good trainer, as he trains some former pro atheltes who have retired.

Yes it is a well known fact that your muscles can absorb oxygen, then when you need to breathe you just squeeze them. NOT>

RS250 Chester said:

Diet is a major factor in weight gain/loss. Has your diet changed in the past 3 months. Spin class is a very aerobic workout, one should not be gaining weight unless other variables (diet, endocrinal health etc) change at the same time.

I took a spin class because it was full of wimmenz and I thought it would be good spot to go MILF hunting. However after 15 minutes my legs gave out and I never returned to the class after giving a lame excuse about my doctor not letting me excercise or something.

Question My therapist told me to get a band that goes in between patella and tibia and compresses the tendon joining the knee cap and tibia. He told me to stay away from one of the brand but he couldn't remember the exact name - Mueller or McDay something. Which brand would you guys recommend? He said that the band will come with some sort of cushing where the band presses on the tendon.

I think it looks similar to this band on Amazon

But I don't know which one is the best one :confused

Last edited:
m_asim said:
Diet is a major factor in weight gain/loss. Has your diet changed in the past 3 months. I took a spin class because it was full of wimmenz and I thought it would be good spot to go MILF hunting.

No, diet hasn't changed. Same breakfast and lunch every day, same dinner selections. That's why I'm a surprised at the gain, but the trainer says its a combination of aerobic and continued weight training.

I'm not complaining about the weight gain, as I can still fit into my new clothes after the 20lb weight loss.

As for the wimmenz....tell me about it. Its like 7 women for every guy in the class. Its sometimes hard to concentrate, especially when you're in the back row of cycles.

Last edited:
Atak Kat said:
For me personally , yes. Depending on the outside temp and how my legs are feeling that morning, it sometimes takes me a good 2-3 miles to get fully stretched out into a comfortable pace.

Just take your time and don't rush into the run.

For the treadmill stuff (which I affectionally refer to as the 'dreadmill') here's a good pace conversion chart:

http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php

You may want to run with at least 1% incline to make up for the lack of wind resistance associated with outside running.

Thanks for the link.

I have been running at no less than a 5% incline for the longest.

Side note: I'm not sure how it compares to Mike's but Costco has the Garmin Forerunner 301 for $149.00

m_asim said:
D.

Question My therapist told me to get a band that goes in between patella and tibia and compresses the tendon joining the knee cap and tibia. He told me to stay away from one of the brand but he couldn't remember the exact name - Mueller or McDay something. Which brand would you guys recommend? He said that the band will come with some sort of cushing where the band presses on the tendon.

I think it looks similar to this band on Amazon

But I don't know which one is the best one :confused

the strap I have is called a Cho-pat and it works well.

OK, I have some questions.

After not having done any exercise for almost 10 years, I started going to the gym on the 1st of January.

I've been doing elliptical and stationary cycling (mostly elliptical) due to my leg injury (no impact), and was able to get up to averaging 80-85 rpm's on the elliptical for 25 minutes with a 5 minute cool down at approximately 65-70 rpm's w/o any real discomfort.

I saw my doctor last week, and he recommended I try the treadmill and see how my leg does.

Three days ago:

First day on the treadmill was no good, my ankle started hurting badly after about three minutes. Had to quit and finished my cardio on the elliptical.

Next day:

I put on my heavy ankle brace and try the treadmill again. My ankle feels better, no pain, just stiffness. I get into a rhythm and run 25 minutes (3 minutes at 4.5, 2 minutes at 5, 5 minutes at 5.5, 15 minutes at 6) with a 5 minute cooldown. I feel pretty good.

Yesterday:

I figured since it was a good day the day before, I could do the same thing. I start off with 2 minutes at 5.0, 3 minutes at 5.5, and 20 minutes at 6.0. After 10 minutes I'm sucking wind. After 15, it gets a little better and I finish the 25 minutes with a 5 minute cooldown. I'm pretty beat though and my legs are starting to hurt. I get home and I start feeling sore. I take some IB just in case and go to bed.

Today:

I wake up and am more sore than I have been in 10 years. We're talking ankles, calves, thighs, hips, abs, obliques, back, all sore. As the day progresses, my soreness has gone down a bit (I have not taken any NSID's today), but it's still there everywhere.

In the last 14 days, I have rested two days only. Is that too little rest? Was the transition from no/low impact too abrupt? Can someone help me get on the right track? I want to feel good anough to do cardio almost every day, and don't want to push it. I want to do it the right way so I can run this marathon in July. I'm just trying to build up my endurance at this time and get my leg right before hitting the pavement, but I don't want to retard my progress either. Do I suck it up and push myself through this?

BTW, I stretch for a good 15/20 minutes before and after each run/cardio workout, more like a yoga routine than a traditional stretch with emphasis on the legs and back.

Last edited:
Baptistro said:
In the last 14 days, I have rested two days only. Is that too little rest?

Yes. The body needs time to recuperate from the excercise. If you just restarted excercising on Jan 1st, then I'd recommend ramping up the excercise schedule slowly.

P.S. I saw your post at the end of this thread and thought this thread was closed too :teeth

:laughing no, I have a feeling I'm gonna personally need this thread for a while to come :)

So what kind of a schedule should I be on? Cardio is all I'm doing since I can't lift for another month or two due to my shoulder surgery. Can I alternate walking and running? I need specifics people :)

Also, it took a lot to get me back in the gym, and I like the fact that I go almost daily now. I also know myself, and if allowed, I will make every excuse not to go another day. That's something I want to avoid as well. Going just about every day keeps me motivated. How do I balance all of this out and maximize my time at the gym?

Last edited:
Baptistro said:

So what kind of a schedule should I be on? Cardio is all I'm doing since I can't lift for another month or two due to my shoulder surgery. Can I alternate walking and running? I need specifics people :)

Also, it took a lot to get me back in the gym, and I like the fact that I go almost daily now. I also know myself, and if allowed, I will make every excuse not to go another day. That's something I want to avoid as well. Going just about every day keeps me motivated. How do I balance all of this out and maximize my time at the gym?

You should be the sole arbitrator of your gym schedule. All the recommendations will be from the recommender's own experience. Listen to your body and keep tinkering with the duration/intensity of your workouts until you find the happy medium. I am working my way back up from the knee injury and back off at the first sign of inflammation/joint stiffness. For me personally it is better to back off a little bit than to spend time on crutches.

Also don't forget to ice the joints afterwards for 15-20 minutes afterwards to decrease swelling. RICE.

:banana

A day of rest and stretching really did me a lot of good. Back to the gym tonight :)

Baptistro said:
OK, I have some questions.

After not having done any exercise for almost 10 years, I started going to the gym on the 1st of January.

Hey Bap!

You're doing much more than I did when I decided to quit smoking and started exercising.

I originally started going to the gym once a week for 45-60 minutes of cardio (spinning) and then gradually increased frequency from there.

The pain you're going through is similar to what I experienced when I started exercising. It was definately a shock for my body and it took a some time to adapt to an exercise regime.

I'll save you the suspense...the body aches you're feeling are going to be around for awhile. ;)

Like m_asim said. Just take your time and listen to your body.

Drink lots of water too.

-ak-

afm199 said:
the strap I have is called a Cho-pat and it works well.
I might be looking into one of those.
My right knee is starting to feel 'weird'.

I have a neoprene knee 'sleeve'. Would that help during my runs or is it useless?
I used it for awhile only when I was kickboxing, but not for running.

-ak-

Baptistro said:
:laughing no, I have a feeling I'm gonna personally need this thread for a while to come :)

Dude, I was in the same situation as you. I started 2 years ago, not having been to the gym for the past 27 or so years of my life.

I have a book called body for life, that specifically states not to run for a long duration at a steady pace. The best method of gaining muscle and endurance through running is to alternate your speed. In a 20-minute run session, you would want like 4 spikes -- where you are running at your fastest, and heart rate is at the highest.

Can you do a stationary bike right now? I would mix it up a bit.

I think the easiest way to get motivated to workout is by making it a part of your routine. Like eating and sleeping. Somehow the gym must be on your schedule.

stan23 said:
Dude, I was in the same situation as you. I started 2 years ago, not having been to the gym for the past 27 or so years of my life.

I have a book called body for life, that specifically states not to run for a long duration at a steady pace. The best method of gaining muscle and endurance through running is to alternate your speed. In a 20-minute run session, you would want like 4 spikes -- where you are running at your fastest, and heart rate is at the highest.

Can you do a stationary bike right now? I would mix it up a bit.

I'll try that. I'm able to ride a stationary bike, so I'll alternate elliptical, treadmill, bike, and swimming. I'll also try the spike type of running on the treadmill. I'll keep you posted on results.

stan23 said:
I think the easiest way to get motivated to workout is by making it a part of your routine. Like eating and sleeping. Somehow the gym must be on your schedule.

Only problem I have is prior commitments. I think I'm on a pretty good schedule now and hope to be able to keep it up.

Last edited:
If you take those spinning classes, they'll alternate the speed throughout the class. There are "Group" rides and "Tour" rides. The Group classes follow a set of routines for every class. They will get work you through all the cardio cycles by using chases and hill climbs.

Tour rides are a little more freestyle, thus the course can change from instructor to instructor, day by day; otherwise the purpose is the same.

The key is finding a good instructor who provides motivation and also finding a good class. If you can get that, the 45-60 minutes go by really quick. A group of us do 3 per week with the same instructor.

From a friend :)

Here's a nice tool to use your heart rate to get your desired results:

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/excel/hrmzones.xls

The Energy Efficient or Recovery Zone - 60% to 70%
Training within this zone develops basic endurance and aerobic capacity. All easy recovery running should be completed at a maximum of 70%. Another advantage to running in this zone is that while you are happily fat burning you may lose weight and you will be allowing your muscles to re-energise with glycogen, which has been expended during those faster paced work-outs. \

The Aerobic Zone - 70% to 80%
Training in this zone will develop your cardiovascular system. The body's ability to transport oxygen to, and carbon dioxide away from, the working muscles can be developed and improved. As you become fitter and stronger from training in this zone it will be possible to run some of your long weekend runs at up to 75%, so getting the benefits of some fat burning and improved aerobic capacity.

The Anaerobic Zone - 80% to 90%
Training in this zone will develop your lactic acid system. In this zone your individual anaerobic threshold is found - sometimes referred to the point of deflection (POD). During these heart rates the amount of fat being utilised as the main source of energy is greatly reduced and glycogen stored in the muscle is predominantly used. One of the by-products of burning this glycogen is the runners worst enemy, lactic acid. There is a point at which the body can no longer remove the lactic acid from the working muscles quickly enough. This happens at an individual heart rate for us all and is accompanied by a rapid rise in heart rate and a slowing of your running pace. This is your anaerobic threshold or POD. Through the correct training it is possible to delay the POD by being able to increase your ability to deal with the lactic acid for a longer period of time or by pushing the POD higher.

The Red Line Zone 90% to 100%
Training in this zone will only be possible for short periods of time. It effectively trains your fast twitch muscle fibres and helps to develop speed. This zone is reserved for interval running and only the very fit are able to train effectively within this zone.

Last edited:
Baptistro said:
I'll try that. I'm able to ride a stationary bike, so I'll alternate elliptical, treadmill, bike, and swimming. I'll also try the spike type of running on the treadmill. I'll keep you posted on results.

Only problem I have is prior commitments. I think I'm on a pretty good schedule now and hope to be able to keep it up.

Bap, I noticed when I have to shift my workouts due to prior commitments, my mind always tries to find time. Like tonight..

I was thinking of heading to the P&W, but my workouts are always at 7pm, and that is when i'll be leaving.

By default, my mind starts to scan the rest of my day and to figure out another time to work out (like early morning, lunch or later in the evening)

There were lots of instances, where I could not get my workout in until 12am..

Back