• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

In memories of Craig Hightower, 7/20/1961 - 8/14/2007

Gary J said:
WOW ...... what a dark and sick feeling came over me when I read the horrible news of Craig's fatal crash!

that about sums it up.

i didn't know Craig at all, and had never even met him that i can recall, but after reading his blog and seeing his adventures, and then reading the report.... man... instant sadness.

RIP Craig... :rose

afm199 said:

Godspeed. He went out doing something he loved.

The world is a smaller, colder and lesser place now, a whole bunch of sunshine just disappeared.

Nothing I could say would be more eloquent, so I'll just QFT.

:rose

This is what I sent one of my friends when I found out:

Thanks for letting me know. I received an e-mail from Heidi just before yours and googled him and found that BARF link. He, like you, was one of those people I considered my friend for life. No matter what. Even if I never saw him again. He came and stayed with us a little over a month ago on his way to Seattle. He seemed very happy with his life. Even if my friends are far away it is valuable to me that they are out there living the life. I am glad he was living it to the end. I don't feel very good right now. Being a Zen Buddhist this is one of those moments I call having to be the big tuff Buddhist. That is a self depreciating joke so you don't misunderstand, Now is the time to walk the walk and experience my grief fully with no barriers. This is not easy.

I met him about 1990 when we were both racing under the late Steve Mitoma's "Performance and Design" sponsorship. He lived a few blocks from my family and me before we moved to Portland and we used to see each other just about every week. He was special.

Doug

He was the kind of guy that knowing that people like that existed made dealing with assholes easier...

Blessings to his family and friends

May joyful memories fill your hearts and minds even as tears fill your eyes.

It seems he will always be a part of all of you because of your love for him. It is a wonderful tribute to have so many people share their stories and thoughts and their love and respect for him. The Portland community joins you in mourning.

RIP Craig Hightower

I'll ride out to the services if it's posted as soon as details are available. Sounds like Craig was a good guy, a veteran rider who deserves our respect and support. Please keep us notified. Thank you.

Craig

Like so many of us, it seems like I've known Craig forever, Sunday Morning Rides, Steve Mitoma daze, P&D shenanigans. Laguna Seca: "Hey...there's Craig!" Middle of NoWhere: "Hey...there's Craig! Gnarly trail: "Hey...there's Craig!" So now we have to deal with "Hey! where's Craig?"
I can tell you, I know where's Craig.
He's always in our hearts. Haul ass, buddy...we're right behind.
Monty

Craig...

3338735-hightower.jpg

sorry hear......this death thing is becoming weekly on barf. my prayers go out to everyone who knew him. r.i.p. buddy

I'm new enough to riding that I'm not familiar with Craig's name, but seeing how many people he has touched just brings me to tears. The MC community is poorer because of his loss. My condolences to his family and friends...

Damn.
The first time I remember meeting Craig was in the late 80s on the SMR. I remember wringing the poor neck of my then girlfriend's Suzuki GS425 trying to keep up with him on his GSXR...
The last time I talked to him was a couple of years ago. He traded me his burned up XR600 for 2 cases of beer...
The 90k miles he put on his Tiger inspired me to buy my Tiger...
He was a good guy - he deserved to live a full and rich life - well a longer full and rich life.
Damn.
Godspeed Craig

Last edited:
i only met craig and his lovely girlfriend once, earlier this year, for a wednesday dinner night....
he was so very welcoming and from that brief encounter i realised what a remarkable person he was.
:rose

Craig

I enjoyed reading all the wonderful comments about Craig.

Sarah

Craig's parents are aware of his death. Sadly, they were notified this morning by his girlfriend. I have asked them to let me know of any funeral/memorial arrangements and will post them to the group.

Sarah

That's just so sad. My condolences to his families, friends, and all of us here in this thread.

Please ride safer out there... be more alert and proactive.

:rip

I don't know about you guys but I am fucking pissed about this "lets hope we get justice". What a bunch of crock!!

If you really grieve for Craig, then make sure to contact the DA office to charge the dipshit SUV driver the maximum that the law allows, and then FOLLOW UP. The Alameda DA will handle it just like any other traffic accident case unless they are pressured to do the right thing.

Otherwise motorcyclists will keep on getting killed like stray dogs and nobody will bat an eye.

And will somebody post the name of the fucker who killed Craig?

Back