• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Kawasaki Ninja 300

Is anyone else pissed off about the lack of decent suspension on these little bikes?

What are finding lacking in the suspension in these bikes, the lack of adjustability, or deficiencies in its performance? Frankly, the suspension on the 08-12 bikes works surprisingly well on the street, both reasonably compliant over non-perfect roads, and controlled enough to have fun at any pace the bike can muster. When you don't have to account for triple digit speeds, the optimization can be pretty good, even with budget parts. I expect this new bike to be a step forward, and the early reviews are saying exactly that.

What are finding lacking in the suspension in these bikes, the lack of adjustability, or deficiencies in its performance? Frankly, the suspension on the 08-12 bikes works surprisingly well on the street, both reasonably compliant over non-perfect roads, and controlled enough to have fun at any pace the bike can muster. When you don't have to account for triple digit speeds, the optimization can be pretty good, even with budget parts. I expect this new bike to be a step forward, and the early reviews are saying exactly that.

edit:

Basically, I don't think any motorcycle claiming to be anything other than a "cruiser" (i.e. yamaha star series) should be released without some decent suspension adjustability. This is 2012 and they have been manufacturing bikes with adjustable suspension forever now. At the very least, preload should be standard. If you can't even adjust the preload for your specific weight, it ruins a bike for me. I should have to buy aftermarket springs just to make the bike ride properly. Perhaps the 250 isn't the best example of this, but how about the 2012 ducati hypermotard 796? It doesn't have single adjustment on the front forks. No preload, no rebound, no compression, nothing. That is straight up pathetic, and kills the deal for me. Forgive me for having mediocre expectations of these companies.

Last edited:
If they are advertising it as a "sport bike" then I expect a little bit of technology to go along with it. Is it too much to ask for an adjustable fork? Even the preload would be nice.

How many "sport bikes" under 600cc's have adjustable forks stock? Shit, What about SV's and EX650's? They don't either. It's just not common unless it's on a supersport machine.

How many "sport bikes" under 600cc's have adjustable forks stock? Shit, What about SV's and EX650's? They don't either. It's just not common unless it's on a supersport machine.

Both of which have adjustable preload and compression on the rear shock, as well as adjustable preload on the forks (i believe)

Both of which have adjustable preload and compression on the rear shock, as well as adjustable preload on the forks (i believe)

I did some checking, from 2002 until it's demise the SV's had adjustable preload on the forks. The earlier models (1999-2001) did not. The Kawi's never have and continue today to not have it on the front forks. Both the SV and 650R only have preload adjustment on the rear shock.

Quality suspension costs money that this segment has proven there's not a high enough demand for.

When did we last have the option of a smaller displacement bike with fully adjustable shocks?

I think this bike would be much sweeter with 350cc. (I'm not just thinking more = better, but 45-50 hp approaches a sweet spot in power to weight, from my experience.)

They should have canned the 650 instead of the 500 and updated that instead. (Hello styling? We know what sells bikes...) And maybe an 800 tourer. Ah, whatever.

When did we last have the option of a smaller displacement bike with fully adjustable shocks?

I think this bike would be much sweeter with 350cc. (I'm not just thinking more = better, but 45-50 hp approaches a sweet spot in power to weight, from my experience.)

They should have canned the 650 instead of the 500 and updated that instead. (Hello styling? We know what sells bikes...) And maybe an 800 tourer. Ah, whatever.

Think about it from the manufacturer's perspective. There's simply not enough potential buyers to make the more expensive suspension and brake bits a viable option. They'd lose too much money.

Gabe -

Thanks, and looking forward to your full review!

Question about the tires: Kawi claims that the stock IRCs use a new, stickier rubber compound this year. Never rode IRCs myself; from reviews I've read they sounded kinda scary, so any change should be for the better. What was your impression?

Mind you, the 4" rear rim and 140 tire open up the range of tires that fit natively to finally include a couple good radials (e.g., Diablo Rosso IIs) in addition to the old, standby bias-plys that were popular on the Ninjette (e.g., Sport Demons :thumbup). Still, some new 300 buyers will probably want to put a few perfunctory miles on the stock rubber before springing for (better) replacements. Thus, inquiring minds want to know...

Thanks!

A 140 actually fits quite well on a stock 250, I'm running diablos right now (whose profile is actually a 134). 150s on a 250 is where you start running into trouble and they pinch, but with the new slightly larger rim I'd imagine that won't be a problem on the 300

I did some checking, from 2002 until it's demise the SV's had adjustable preload on the forks. The earlier models (1999-2001) did not. The Kawi's never have and continue today to not have it on the front forks. Both the SV and 650R only have preload adjustment on the rear shock.

That is weird, the versys is the same price, and same engine as the ninja 650, yet it has fully adjustable suspension. I had assumed the ninja would be the same, or at least similar. I just don't believe it would cost much more money to put those components on a bike.

Put high quality boingers on these things and they'll be $7000 and people will be bitching about how they're not powerful enough for the price.

Besides, most people aren't smart enough to adjust their suspension correctly.

Besides, most people aren't smart enough to adjust their suspension correctly.

Not smart enough to spend $2 on PVC spacers at OSH and use them to adjust the preload? Nobody is that dumb, right? Ah wait, yes they are. :laughing

Kawasaki is going to sell these little bikes by the boatload. Oh wait, they already sell their little bikes by the boatload. Except now it's faster, with fuel injection, and the price is still very affordable.

WELL PLAYED, KAWASAKI. :thumbup

Put high quality boingers on these things and they'll be $7000 and people will be bitching about how they're not powerful enough for the price.

Exactly! I think Kawasaki probably did careful analysis of what upgrades they could pack into this baby and still hit their price target. That price target, of course, is a significant bump up from the 250, leaving some folks to wonder if that'll be a problem for sales. (Personally, I think they're going to sell scads of these, but only time will tell.)

For a detailed look at everything that is new and improved, take a look at this 28-page PDF I found online for the Canadian model. (A document titled "The Ninjette: What Hasn't Changed" would have been easier to assemble.)

Now, throw in fully-adjustable suspension—btw, Erich, are we talking USD, "big-piston" cartridge forks or just "upgraded," old-shcool damping-rod designs?—and it would probably break the bank.

On a side note, a close look at that Canadian PDF raises the question as to whether the specs are identical to US models (colors, er colours, aside). Page 9 makes a big deal about the new, dual throttle valves per throttle body, complete with cutaway view. The European and Japanese sites (where the '08-'12 250 already had FI, at least in Europe) also make a big deal about this new-to-the-Ninjette feature, explaining how the main valve is directly actuated by the throttle grip, while the second valve is controlled by the ECU to more precisely regulate airflow to ensure a linear throttle response. In contrast, I haven't seen that mentioned at all in the US marketing materials, which only talk about "dual throttle bodies" (one per cylinder, natch). Doesn't mean it's not present, there being production benefits to as much manufacturing standardization between markets as possible, but seems odd to see it so completely omitted from US marketing materials. I wonder if it's possibly a value-engineered compromise specific to our market. (Had I seen Gabe's post in time, I would have had him ask the corporate guys at yesterday's press session.)

Mark

Put down a deposit on a white one today; may have it in as soon as a week. Should have confirmation tomorrow. :thumbup

edit:

Basically, I don't think any motorcycle claiming to be anything other than a "cruiser" (i.e. yamaha star series) should be released without some decent suspension adjustability. This is 2012 and they have been manufacturing bikes with adjustable suspension forever now.

Soggy,

Suspension adjust-ability is far less important than the quality of the internal components, and the setup for the individual rider/weight. You could throw a bypass circuit and a needle on an old-gen Ninja 250, but it wouldn't really do much other than to increase the cost and complexity of the bike. It would still ride like crap.

Cartrages are relatively complex and expensive, and they aren't much of a selling point on a bike like the 250.

That is weird, the versys is the same price, and same engine as the ninja 650, yet it has fully adjustable suspension. I had assumed the ninja would be the same, or at least similar. I just don't believe it would cost much more money to put those components on a bike.

So does the Vstrom 650 the main Versys rival. Its all about competition.

Put down a deposit on a white one today; may have it in as soon as a week. Should have confirmation tomorrow. :thumbup

wow that was fast!, do you know around how much it will by OTD? I wonder if it will be less than 6, the 08-12 were around 5-5.5

Im getting one, special edition w abs. Probably by summer next year. I just paid for registration :)

Back