• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

Oh i know but you know Nick and other Nick are gunna spoon it up, and she gave me explicit instructions not to cuddle with you. K.. back on topic. !!

HL-702144.jpg

can anybody recommend some good guitar instructional dvds or books?
I'm running out of ideas of what to play and am starting to get bored of the same chord progressions.
I want to learn more.

collab with other musicians! screw books. also, listen to what you normally would listen to the least and listen to it more. Imagine where they are at on the fretboard and what mood they want to convey.

see if you can find a copy of Joe Diorio creative jazz guitar.

Last edited:
collab with other musicians! screw books. also, listen to what you normally would listen to the least and listen to it more.

Both true. I get stuck on the same themes if I'm not listening to different things. In fact, I'm kind of in that mode now and want to stimulate the creative juices in a particular direction that I'm not as familiar with.

Understanding theory can help with this too, within limits. I don't think you want to become a slave to theory, but sometimes when you start over using certain modes, you can get a new perspective by consciously trying other ones.

I've always liked chord grips that use open strings, where you can get some cool and unusual inversions. I do that so much though, that it begins to confine me to certain keys. I'm playing around with sparse voicings that I can play anywhere on the neck, so I can shake loose from my "favorite" keys.

I can't learn by books. I learn by ear and watching the musician actually playing. For me it's a lot of videos and transposing songs or licks on my own. YMMV.

+1 i personally don't have the attention span for reading music......trust me Ive tried. i rather along with my zune. I'm not a studio musician i rather play whats me then what scales Ive learned.

p.s. i get a lot of shit from my metal head friends because i listen to ska once in a while for some finger exercises

Last edited:
If you love the sound of finger picking. My favorite guitarist is Leo Kottke.
[youtube]lnQTC5ICGik[/youtube]
[youtube]KEsSiHtv3QI[/youtube]

The master of fingerstyle. Just a very small sample...

[youtube]tn1d5DmdMqY[/youtube]

[youtube]bKtadARBiYY[/youtube]

[youtube]lSnWhsmlGec[/youtube]

I traded my marshall jcm 900 for a Laney TT 50 watt head.

the laney has much better cleans than the marshall but not as much gain but still plenty enough for the type of music I play. 50 watts is much better for me than 100 watts. since with this 50 watt I can turn it up louder to get smooth power tube distortion without blowing my ear drums. Also power tube replacement will be cheaper since it only uses two instead of the marshalls 4.

With the marshall the volume needed to be at around 4.5 in order for it to sound good, at that volume I had my windows shaking. I can turn the laney up to 4 for a good tone and its not too loud.

Laney makes really good tube amps, I'd recommend them if you are looking for a new amp head. The discontinued AOR series are really badass, they sound like a marshall jcm 800 on steroids.

Attachments

• SSPX0014.jpg
    SSPX0014.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 65
I traded my marshall jcm 900 for a Laney TT 50 watt head.

the laney has much better cleans than the marshall but not as much gain but still plenty enough for the type of music I play. 50 watts is much better for me than 100 watts. since with this 50 watt I can turn it up louder to get smooth power tube distortion without blowing my ear drums. Also power tube replacement will be cheaper since it only uses two instead of the marshalls 4.

With the marshall the volume needed to be at around 4.5 in order for it to sound good, at that volume I had my windows shaking. I can turn the laney up to 4 for a good tone and its not too loud.

Laney makes really good tube amps, I'd recommend them if you are looking for a new amp head. The discontinued AOR series are really badass, they sound like a marshall jcm 800 on steroids.

Could've just gotten this and saved your JCM 900...

374444.jpg

Marshall makes personal heaters now? :) Shweeet. For those lonely jam sessions in the cold studios.

Could've just gotten this and saved your JCM 900...

374444.jpg

yeah I was thinking that, but the 900 wasn't the true marshall crunch I was looking for it came close but no cigar. I was looking for a jcm 800 but with more gain tone and the 900 sounds nothing like an 800 since it uses different types of output tubes and just entirely different circuitry,

yeah I was thinking that, but the 900 wasn't the true marshall crunch I was looking for it came close but no cigar. I was looking for a jcm 800 but with more gain tone and the 900 sounds nothing like an 800 since it uses different types of output tubes and just entirely different circuitry,

:thumbup

There's no substitute for starting with the right amp. If you need to turn down and still get power tube saturation, then worry about a Power Brake or THD Hot Plate.

Back