• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

I always had Jesus pegged as a vintage strat kinda guy but was wrong.

Attachments

• jesus_rocks_0.jpg
    jesus_rocks_0.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 98
I bought a bass guitar :thumbup I didn't want to spend that much money since I probably won't get into bass as much as I am into electric guitar. I got a yamaha brand bass. Its not too bad, it was the best out of the couple that I tried out at the store that were within that price range. I tried out the squire p-basses and jazzes and they had horrible feel to it, the action was crazy high and the ones that weren't were buzzing at several frets and sounded like crap.
The yamaha surprised me, it has good action, sounds pretty good and is lightweight.

It looks like this
product.yamaha-RBX170.small.jpg

I bought a bass guitar :thumbup I didn't want to spend that much money since I probably won't get into bass as much as I am into electric guitar. I got a yamaha brand bass. Its not too bad, it was the best out of the couple that I tried out at the store that were within that price range. I tried out the squire p-basses and jazzes and they had horrible feel to it, the action was crazy high and the ones that weren't were buzzing at several frets and sounded like crap.
The yamaha surprised me, it has good action, sounds pretty good and is lightweight.

It looks like this
product.yamaha-RBX170.small.jpg

The majority of guitar players I know that got into bass guitar after they've been playing guitar for years don't get into it as much. Myself being one of them. I love playing bass, but it doesn't give you as much satisfaction as guitar does. I'm sure that Anthony would fight me for blood to say otherwise but I'm no John Myung like he is. :laughing

The majority of guitar players I know that got into bass guitar after they've been playing guitar for years don't get into it as much. Myself being one of them. I love playing bass, but it doesn't give you as much satisfaction as guitar does. I'm sure that Anthony would fight me for blood to say otherwise but I'm no John Myung like he is. :laughing

for me it seems like the bass doesn't cut into the mix as much as a guitar. It just sits in the background, and the guitar has a more clear definition. Finger picking or slapping is damn hard, it feels like it is the first time I picked up an instrument:laughing. I use a pick because it is a much easier transition for me. When using my fingers, my picking hand can't keep up with my fretting hand.

A good bass player is essential IMO...it helps set the creativity and back and forth with drummers like myself and once you get locked into the bass player it really drives the music. I have a bass I can't play all that great but I've always liked how bass players are really important to a band but don't get as much credit for how it good bass fills in the emptiness.

nice score on the equipment! Yamaha makes good shit man, drums, dirtbikes,streetbikes, even my old pos yamaha acoustic has great sound.

A good bass player is essential IMO...it helps set the creativity and back and forth with drummers like myself and once you get locked into the bass player it really drives the music. I have a bass I can't play all that great but I've always liked how bass players are really important to a band but don't get as much credit for how it good bass fills in the emptiness.

Totally agree. Bass and drums are the foundation. Everything else is like one big fill in.

Low end is super hard to get right in the mix too.

can anybody recommend some good guitar instructional dvds or books?
I'm running out of ideas of what to play and am starting to get bored of the same chord progressions.
I want to learn more.

I always bought books that targeted what I wanted to learn in specific. For Bass : (Slapping, Tapping, Plucking, Harmonics, Gallop Bass) Then after I got a good hang of all that I just started looking for albums I liked and bought the tabalature to them. (Beatles, Iron Maiden, Primus). That usually keeps me on my toes :thumbup

I can't learn by books. I learn by ear and watching the musician actually playing. For me it's a lot of videos and transposing songs or licks on my own. YMMV.

Back