• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

You can work on alternate picking...
Yeah.. I do somthing simular to that... start on low D 1-2-3-4 (using a finger for each fret) then do the same thing through the rest of the string then back up... I'll try yours out tho it'll prob get me used to the "smaller frets":thumbup
I do warmups similar to TZRider's, and I also wear the finger weights to help build strength, accuracy and speed.

finger-weights.jpg

Is this a yoke?:rofl They look like little silver bundles of dynamite!:laughing Is this why your such a EXPLOSIVE bass player!?

My jazz teacher made me wear those when I played an upright bass. Adding the weights to my fingers along with losing feeling in my arm half-way through any song I played, helped me out a bit ;)

List your influences...

The following are mine, and while I am not saying that I can play any of their songs professionally, were I to practice regularly I would definitely state that you might hear some of their elements in my playing. :cool Maybe narrowing down some of these will help me concentrate on exactly what style of music I want to end up playing...

Classic Rock...

Van Halen
Thin Lizzy
Led Zep
Kiss
AC/DC
Rush
Black Sabbath
Cheap Trick
Deep Purple
Foghat
Sammy Hagar
Hendrix
The Knack
Ozzy
Pink Floyd
Scorpions
Steppenwolf
ZZ Top
Foreigner
Rolling Stones
Aerosmith
David Bowie

The 80's/NWOBHM...

Whitesnake
Quiet Riot
Ratt
Y&T
Tubes
Metallica/Testament/Megadeth (ie, Bay Area thrash/metal scene)
Queensryche
Loudness
Night Ranger
Loverboy
Dokken
Maiden/Priest
Journey
Genesis
The Fixx
Dio
Def Leppard
The Cars
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Neo-Classical/Shredders/"Out There..."

Yngwie Malmsteen
Tony MacAlpine
Paul Gilbert/Racer X
Dream Theater
Joe Satriani/Steve Vai
Vinnei Moore
Greg Howe

Yeah:rolleyes I try that with the scale... still needs work work tho :laughing It slows me way down when i do it tho...:dunno practice makes prefect i guess...

Here's an exercise from a modern maestro. :thumbup

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VIZd9LIK0AQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VIZd9LIK0AQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Added to your list

List your influences...

The following are mine, and while I am not saying that I can play any of their songs professionally, were I to practice regularly I would definitely state that you might hear some of their elements in my playing. :cool Maybe narrowing down some of these will help me concentrate on exactly what style of music I want to end up playing...

Classic Rock...

Van Halen
Thin Lizzy
Led Zep
Kiss
AC/DC
Rush
Black Sabbath
Cheap Trick
Deep Purple
Foghat
Sammy Hagar
Hendrix
The Knack
Ozzy
Pink Floyd
Scorpions
Steppenwolf
ZZ Top
Foreigner
Rolling Stones
Aerosmith
David Bowie
George Harrison
Eric Clapton
Buddy Holly

The 80's/NWOBHM...

Whitesnake
Quiet Riot
Ratt
Y&T
Tubes
Metallica/Testament/Megadeth (ie, Bay Area thrash/metal scene)
Queensryche
Loudness
Night Ranger
Loverboy
Dokken
Maiden/Priest
Journey
Genesis
The Fixx
Dio
Def Leppard
The Cars
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Neo-Classical/Shredders/"Out There..."

Yngwie Malmsteen
Tony MacAlpine
Paul Gilbert/Racer X
Dream Theater
Joe Satriani/Steve Vai
Vinnei Moore
Greg Howe

One modulates the awesomeness, the other is simply there for bling.

Fender, right? Not a damn thing. Leave them turned all the way up.

One modulates the awesomeness, the other is simply there for bling.

FFS:twofinger:rofl I knew this would happen!:laughing For reals guys... I mess with them and they alter the sound. I just keep 'em at 5... Is it for like... I dunno... bass, treb, eda/gbe adjustments. I really don't know :dunno

Seriously. Stock Fender pickups blow hagus. You can try to get tone out of them all day and it won't do you any good unless you've got a good effects processor or one killer amp.

FFS:twofinger:rofl I knew this would happen!:laughing For reals guys... I mess with them and they alter the sound. I just keep 'em at 5... Is it for like... I dunno... bass, treb, eda/gbe adjustments. I really don't know :dunno

Different Strats have had different wiring for the tone controls. What they all have in common is that the tone control is a passive control that rolls off high frequencies. Turned all the way up, it allows highs through; turned down, it cuts highs above a certain frequency. The effect is that the sound becomes more muted.

The differences in Strats is primarily in which knob controls which pick-ups. If you post the model number of your guitar, I can probably tell you which tone knob controls which pick-up.

Seriously. Stock Fender pickups blow hagus. You can try to get tone out of them all day and it won't do you any good unless you've got a good effects processor or one killer amp.

"TONE"... What kind??? highs vs. lows? I mean... they're there for a reason and i get what your saying about stock PU's but say I get a wild hair and want to change them... what do the two knobs do? Does the one closest to the strings do somthing that the other doesn't? and if so what?:confused

"TONE"... What kind??? highs vs. lows? I mean... they're there for a reason and i get what your saying about stock PU's but say I get a wild hair and want to change them... what do the two knobs do? Does the one closest to the strings do somthing that the other doesn't? and if so what?:confused

The PDF that Anthony posted will guide you as to which tone knob affects which pickup. I can't recall 100% since I haven't owned a Strat for about 10 years.

Think of it like a kind of overall eq boost, on my guitar I like to roll the tone knob down to either 0 or 1 and play on the neck pickup for a cool eric clapton "woman tone" look it up on youtube to experience teh awesomeness..

Not sure about which tone knob controls which pickups on a strat. I only have 1 tone knob on my guitar...

The PDF that Anthony posted will guide you as to which tone knob affects which pickup. I can't recall 100% since I haven't owned a Strat for about 10 years.

It may, but they're not all wired the same. Knowing which model it is will help.

True. I thought Jaysin had a Mexican Standard, though. That's what I based my info off of.

Not sure if a Mexican Standard has a bridge humbucker, but the photo Jaysin posted shows one.

Edit: The photo looks like a Standard Strat® HSS. If it is, the specs are here: Spec Sheet

From the sheet:

Master Volume,
Tone 1. (Neck Pickup),
Tone 2. (Middle Pickup and Middle/Bridge Combination)

Last edited:
Back