• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

That's exactly what I described....the bow of the neck. :p

if you don't know what you are doing then do not mess with the neck, you can fuck things up pretty quick.

Jaysin, try putting a rag over the fretboard and hit the frets down with the plastic head of a screw driver to put them back into place.

if you don't know what you are doing then do not mess with the neck, you can fuck things up pretty quick.

Jaysin, try putting a rag over the fretboard and hit the frets down with the plastic head of a screw driver to put them back into place.

True. I forgot about that. Luthiers are expensive to go to for a simple adjustment, though.

:wtf
your string height is too low, try raising up the saddle for the D string, it uses little hex head screws

How would that have happend?
Ohhh and its not plugged in to an amp either...

Things shift around on guitars...they are mechanical and things wear down. Also, humidity and heat and rapid change of temperature may make things go out of shape.
one other thing before checking the string height at the bridge.

check to see if there is a crack in the nut on the d string...dropping it is only one way to cause this...if it is cracked, it will slip lower closer to the fret board.

my new baby

also I just wanted to share with all you fellow moto enthusiast musicians, I just picked this up and it pleases me greatly.

Attachments

• 1967es330v2.jpg
    1967es330v2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 57
:wtf

How would that have happend?
Ohhh and its not plugged in to an amp either...

the strings cause tension and sometimes the screws come a bit loose or something gets moved around.

and yes hitting the frets down might work. My guitar was buzzing on one string and on one specific fret. I guess the fret was coming loose by a microscopic amount. I tapped it back into place with a screw driver butt and problem fixed:thumbup

Loose frets are not uncommon on guitars, be they electric or acoustic/classical, low-end or pricey custom-made boutiques. Frets are generally pressed in from above; depending on where and how long a guitar is stored, fretboard wood can shrink a bit and they can pop out (a dead giveaway is sharp ends that can catch your fingers along the edge of the neck). Tapping them down-gently-may help. Don't take a hammer to them and proceed to pound away because that can make the situation worse.

Regarding action/intonation, intonation is usually the last thing to adjust. Action is primarily set at the nut, and since you don't have a locking system (a la Floyd Rose or one of its many licensed copies that have flooded the market), string height is mainly dependent upon the depth of the nuts string slots. A guitar tech will use a set of specialized nut files that leave smooth, rounded slot bottoms so that the strings won't catch when you bend them or use the vibrato. Saddle height is for secondary adjustments and matching the radius of the saddles with the fretboard ensures consistency here. I use a series of specially-made radius gauges for this.

Intonate after obtaining an action you're happy with. Heavy-gauge strings with a high action will require the saddles to be moved further, while lighter gauge strings and lower string height won't need as much compensation. Judging from the video your bridge saddles can be a tad higher. Keep in mind, though, that you will almost never totally eliminate fret buzz. Some is normal. As long as it doesn't affect your sustain and you can't hear it through your amp, I wouldn't worry about it for the most part. :)

So a thought about pickups. Lots of choices out there today and always.

the question is can any one pickup give you all the performance and sound you want?

Let me start by saying, i'd like to hear a discussion. I know the guitar type you're playing (solid body, semi-hollow, chambered solid and completely hollow) count when you talk about pickups, but that would be a whole other discussion...but leaving out the body and neck for that matter. What do you like? Why?

I don't have a favorite myself, everything I have offers something different and they all overlap some. But I'd like to hear what you all like about what you play, pickup wise.

At the moment:

Seymour Duncan Distortion, JB & Trembucker.
EMG 81.
Neck-thru Ibanez still has stock pups.
I've been considering THESE. Price is right and I've heard great things about them. :thumbup

Pickups are very subjective. Even the same one will vary, sounding different to different people. Good thing is, unless there is some broken wiring, you can buy used pickups for a deal. If you don't like the way they sound, you're only out $25-$50 instead of nearly $100 for a new Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan. ;)

And just to make everyone else feel bad, here's Mr. Gilbert once again in his heyday. I was at this Racer X show at Oakland's Omni (place is still there, go figure) and especially remember the drill he brought out at the end of his solo. :loco

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jVd6PeNAqUY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jVd6PeNAqUY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Last edited:
We're jamming again? :dunno

Last time I've jammed was in the studio and that was a good 4-5 months ago. Everything else I just produce in-house. So Jason, get Aaron together, and lets get it rollin. Besides.. I haven't shown you guys Alyssa yet :love

Now to clarify : :teeth

The guitar's name is Alyssa. The girl there was my ex-fiance' Jenny. kbai :later

Back