• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

Picked up this beauty Friday night. Antigua Winds AS520. It's a computer copy of a Selmer Paris Super Action 80 Series II pro alto.

Manufactured in 2008 and owned by a single owner who had it in the closet since he got it. It's damn near flawless. It has two minor scratches on two of the keys but they are not at all noticeable. You have to be looking for them to find them.

I could just turn around and flip it for a nice profit if I wish because of it's condition.

Black nickel-plated body is the hotness IMO.

28qyhx3.jpg

I haven't played since Clinton was in office. I managed to remember how to play a few basic songs. But man, my lungs need to be worked again and need to work on my embouchure. Just ordered a NEOTEC Soft Sax Strap and a H.W. Alto Sax Pad-Saver. I plan on getting a different mouth piece down the road with 2.5 reeds (it came with three 2 reeds).

Last edited:
Picked up this beauty Friday night. Antigua Winds AS520. It's a computer copy of a Selmer Paris Super Action 80 Series II pro alto.

Manufactured in 2008 and owned by a single owner who had it in the closet since he got it. It's damn near flawless. It has two minor scratches on two of the keys but they are not at all noticeable. You have to be looking for them to find them.

I could just turn around and flip it for a nice profit if I wish because of it's condition.

Black nickel-plated body is the hotness IMO.

28qyhx3.jpg

I haven't played since Clinton was in office. I managed to remember how to play a few basic songs. But man, my lungs need to be worked again and need to work on my embouchure. Just ordered a NEOTEC Soft Sax Strap and a H.W. Alto Sax Pad-Saver. I plan on getting a different mouth piece down the road with 2.5 reeds (it came with three 2 reeds).
Dope. Lately the thought of getting my alto re-padded has been nagging at me. Same boat though, I haven't played in about 12 years (and was never that good to begin with :laughing)

Do it. There are a few shops in the bay area that can do it. Eric at Saxology in Berkley seems to be what a lot of Bay Area sax players seem to like the best in terms of service and price. Anthony's Woodwinds in San Rafael is another. There's also Gabe @ Allegro in Fremont. Lee Kramka at Sax Worx in San Francisco is pricey but I believe, over all, the best around here.

Thing is, the work would probably cost more than it's worth. I beat it up pretty good in high school.

Love that black nickel finish. Something like that would be a good motivator to get going on. You should have fun with it :thumbup

Hmmm...I forgot about this thread! :(

Picked this guy up recently...

DV016_Jpg_Large_1336404003214_A.jpg

Congrats!! Tell us about it, and how does it compare to other acoustics? The picture looks like a mahogany body and a sitka top?

I sold the API Channel Strip and the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 to add the Apollo. I'll be selling a Joe Meek TwinqCS too if anyone is interested.....

I'm still figuring out the monitor mix routing. I love the latency free wet tracking and the API Vision Console emulation is just stunning. The more I use this, the more I'm convinced this is the optimal solution for me.

Congrats!! Tell us about it, and how does it compare to other acoustics? The picture looks like a mahogany body and a sitka top?

Indeed those are the woods. There is a step-up model that replaces the mahogany with rosewood but I didn't feel it was worth the price difference.

When I went shopping, I initially figured I was going to be buying a Taylor. Specifically a 214CE or possibly a 114CE if I didn't want to part with $1,000. However, in my opinion, the PRS blows the 214CE away with a much clearer sound and far better designed electronics. Plus, to me, it just looks better. I always loved the inlays on the PRS guitars anyway and with the edition of a top-shelf custom hard case (over the Taylor's only coming with a gig bag) coupled with the fact that it's $200 less than the 214CE, I couldn't say no to the SE Angelus! :thumbup

Anyone near the Hercules area that wants to play some cover tunes? I need to get back in the groove.

I've played in cover bands that covered everything from classic rock (Sabbath, Zeppelin, ACDC) to 90s (STP, Weezer, Green Day) to various newer stuff. Just want to play fun guitar oriented rock or blues rock. Might do some blues jams too. Just want to get back playing with some folks.

I've played in cover bands that covered everything from classic rock (Sabbath, Zeppelin, ACDC) to 90s (STP, Weezer, Green Day) to various newer stuff. Just want to play fun guitar oriented rock or blues rock. Might do some blues jams too. Just want to get back playing with some folks.

Hmmm...

Looks like I'll have to throw some new strings on the RG.

:teeth

Back